Intro to psych class

>intro to psych class
>we are studying the history of psychoanalysis
>"freud believed there's no such thing as instinct in humans; he was right, of course"
>several students protest
>"what about the survival instinct? self-preservation"
>"well, if there's such a thing as a survival instinct in humans, how come people commit suicide?"
>class go silent

Is it me or does this argument sound wack as fuck?

G R E A S Y
R
E
A
S
Y

Imagine her greasy face rimming your ass.

Suicide is just another way of survival.

>well if there's such a thing as gravity, how come I can do THIS?
>*jumps*
einstein btfo, I think we're done here

perfect response

>not invoking Freud's discussion of Todestriebe in Beyond the Pleasure Principle

It's like people don't read

>the pleasure principle isn't an instinct
wtf

What does 'instinct' mean?

That the consciousness of a person imagine a circle with a C in it, and then a larger circle around it with B written in it (B for Body)

And that consciousness receives information from outside of itself (and the Body), information entering both circles:

The idea is that, even without information from outside the body entering the circles: Information from the B and maybe even from the C (the C has its own different parts? sub c, un c? id? ego?) influence the Main "I" (me, aware thinker) of C?

Dude i'm on 3 weeks no fap. Don't post this shit on a blue board.

Why don't you have the photon theme on?

>fap
is this evidence of instincts?

I was gonna complain too but thankfully you posted this bonerkiller so all is well.

If someone kills themself, did they think deyd b woke?

>bonerkiller

That's her boyfriend

Well by definition instincts must be irresistible. I do think the idea that some animals have instincts and humans do not would not bear scrutiny.

People hesitate when killing themselves though, they don't just do it like it's nothing
Only after years of mental torture usually

>irresistible by definition
that's wrong you dweeb, you can train an animal to resist their instincts through repeated exposures
humans have an even easier time because it's possible to self-guide training, and understand why you're doing it

my dog had an instinct to go chase rodents, she didn't know what they were but she and all her breed chase em no matter what age their exposed to their first squirrel, but once she took a face full of a skunk

In that same way, you might have an instinct to post dumb shit on the internet because that's what your brain is made for, but I hope that you'll find a way to resist that instinct too

It's you and your inability to respond or contest his point at all at the time.

If the professor is talking about suicide and lack of instinct in a psychology class.....
I have news for you user.

not sure if it's an instinct, but newborn babies have a fear of heights

It is a wack argument. The professor was probably just testing the class to see if he could get away with mailing it in and you all failed so now you get the vanilla lecture plan he made for all his shitty 101 classes so he can spend more time on what he wants to do.

Cuz humans dont have instincts, we have drives.

Instincts are inborn patterns of behaviour that cannot be overcome by force of will (ie a bee's instinct to gather pollen and build a hive). Drives are flexible impulses to achieve a goal. Humans have a prefrontal cortex capable of complex planning, negating the need for instincts.

>Instincts are inborn patterns of behaviour that cannot be overcome by force of will (ie a bee's instinct to gather pollen and build a hive).
Many humans have instinctual sexual desires, instincts to reproduce and buy a home:
If you would say this isnt instincts because not all humans, some humans are asexual and homeless:

If you found some cases of bees failing to gather pollen or build a hive, would that mean bees dont really have instincts?

"If you kill yourself, you win!"

I'd rather it be vice versa

>psychoanalysis
>literally psuedoscience

I know this might not get you far but an effective litmus test for seeing whether or not something is making a scientific hypothesis is to ask them to propose a null-hypothesis and, more importantly, to get them to explain how they would falsify that statement.
Verification can clearly only go so far.

Now personally my answer would be that one drive can negate another.
Your teacher is probably a philosophical libertarian (i'm a compatiblist) and doesn't want to go down the rabbit hole of humans being comprised solely of drives, instincts with our prefrontal cortex being an organiser and planner.

But yeah, you're not doing a science, you're doing a big meme psuedoscience course with a relatively powerful lobby group.

>he thinks people aren't scared as shit and heart racing as they ready to pull the trigger or trip the stool, as your conscious intellect completely understands what the implications of your action will be and your body physiologically anticipates the literal mortal threat with fight or flight nervous response
What a fucking chump of a professor you have. The interesting thing about conscious will is that it bears the potential strength to resist many base uncionscious impulses, but that potential hardly means that everyone is going to (nevermind be capable of) actually execute this most grievous self-harm. Some ascetics have starved themselves to death. That's very exceptional strength of will. But it doesn't exactly invalidate that nearly everyone else has an instinctive hunger that has the power if evoked to transform society in a tremendously negative way when the supply of food is interrupted; you would never be able to convince millions of people to just exercise their conscious will to fast until the supply of food returns.

>humans have instinctual sexual desires, instincts to reproduce and buy a home:

those are examples of drives, not instincts.

>being this bewitched by your own language

Also:
this and this

i've never read freud, but isn't civilization and its discontents largely about the tension between civilization and our barbaric nature? to me, that would seem to imply a belief in human nature and instincts unless there's something i'm missing.

that's still a bad argument either way, though.

>correct use of unambiguous terms
>har har har this idiot is 'bewitched by language'
>that'll show em

>no such thing as instinct in humans

Tell her to stop eating then because there's apparently no such thing as hunger.

>instinct
seems ambiguous to me
Could mean innate drives could be learned drives.
eg
"He developed an instinct for hiding when his father came home drunk"
or
"The instinct to chase is inherent in greyhounds"

There's no need to quibble over semantics, you know that the poster meant and you know what the professor meant.

What do you guys think her favourite author is?

Actually, someone brought that up in class. She (female professor) said hunger is hunger is always hunger for something, not just instinctual hunger like a base animal. Her example: a hobo will ask for food but refuse to eat anything he doesn't like. Pretty weak argument as well imo tbqhwyf

To think that we somehow became the only animals exempt from instinct because consciousness or whatever is retarded. I instinctually believe that.

M.Y. Dick

How do you think she smells. I think she smells of mold and damp

Why Einstein? Wasn't it Newton who invented gravity?

Suicide means that you can't say that all humans have survival instinct, you can't say it is a part of human nature.
Now, negating instincts' existence altogether indeed doesn't make sense to me.

*notices bulge* UwU what's this?

>"well, if there's such a thing as a survival instinct in humans, how come people commit suicide?"

The majority of people don't commit suicide, even when placed in horrific circumstances. If anything, the example of suicide proves the opposite case, because it would be near universal in places like Africa and much of the Middle East if there weren't an instinct towards self-preservation. Suicide would probably claim at least 2/3rds of the first world as well if this were the case, certainly nearly everyone suffering from any sort of mental illness or living below the poverty line. And this is present day. It's extremely unlikely that a human race with no inborn fear of death would have made it past the bronze age. The fact that relatively few people actually kill themselves regardless of when or where they live and in what conditions should be sufficient evidence that there in an instinct in humans towards self-preservation. It's also worth pointing out that suicides themselves are not immune to the fear of death, as any of them will tell you, and it's not uncommon for people who attempt suicide to back out at the last second or make a half-hearted effort of it as a cry for help. In fact, most suicides have made prior attempts, and in many cases, if you asked, they would tell you that they have literally been ruminating on the subject of suicide for a good chunk of their life. The reason for this is that it's incredibly difficult to override millions of years of natural selection and can usually only be done once someone reaches their breaking point, at which point their desire to live, or their fear of death, is overridden by the suffering of their daily life and the futility of their existence.

someone who commits suicide is mentally ill. if the mind isn't working properly, then might that include the part that regulates instinct?

She's just dumb. If a hobo never finds something he likes, he won't just starve to death. He'll eventually eat what he can get when he becomes hungry enough.

>the futility of their existence.

I like your post and appreciate the effort but this last part in unnecessary - Yes some people kill themselves over the sense that their life is futile but it doesn't encompass all of them, certainly not the the extent "the suffering of their daily life" does.

Furthermore it's worth considering also that many people in Africa and the Middle East report average levels of happiness. Indeed people in pre-industrial societies tend to report as as happy or more so than those in industrial ones. So that's not a good point to draw upon when trying to demonstrate that a life of suffering doesn't necessitate suicide. But only because their life isn't actually one of suffering.

This is what a sheltered first-world upbringing would have you believe. She's obviously never seen real hunger. To her, hunger is just a mild inconvenience.

DEFINE 'INSTINCT'

Ayn Rand

Thanks for the good wank. I shagged my pillow for a 90 minutes. I usually dislike makeup but this is one of the rare occasions it look amazing. I wanked mainly to her face.
Also yeah the argument is wack. Just like I will wack my cock to that face until I get bored of her in a week.

Not really, it's more of a spectrum. There is no difference between "instinct" and "drive". Due to the complexity of animals like ourselves, there are a lot of factors so it's not as mechanical as it would be in say, an ant. This doesn't make it a different phenomena.

Fuck off old hag lover, fucking tels.
Psychology doesn't work without instinct, including Freud's psychology. The [woman] lecturing this is blatantly wrong or you are a typical lying scumbag teleophile.

>redditors redefining science

your body can do THAT? WOWEE LADEE

>It is exhibited strongly in aquatic mammals, but also in humans. The diving reflex is triggered specifically when cold water contacts the face. Water that is warmer than 21°C (70°F) does not cause the reflex, and neither does submersion of body parts other than the face. As soon as the face hits cold water, the diving reflex is triggered in an attempt to maximize oxygen output. The human heart rate slows down by 10-25% and blood flow is constricted to the extremities. At extreme depths, the body intentionally allows fluid to fill the lungs and chest cavity to prevent organs from being crushed by pressure.
>This greatly increases the odds of survival during accidental submersion. It helps prevent drowning in humans and even works if the individual is unconscious before entering the water. Because of the reflex, a person can survive longer periods of time without oxygen in cold water than on dry land or in hot water. The diving reflex lessens with adulthood. Children are more likely to survive extended periods of time in cold water.

Sorry, user. You can do it!

>it's impossible to overcome instinct
What definition of instinct are we talking about, and what makes you think animals wouldn't be able to overcome their instincts if they were capable of reason and exerting a will

that gypsy has a nice figure

>someone who commits suicide is mentally ill

>freud
>right about anything
just quit while you're ahead.

>"freud believed there's no such thing as instinct in humans; he was right, of course"
Jesus fucking Christ Veeky Forums, how could you fall for such shitty bait? It's threads like this that remind me you're all idiots.
Freud never said that, in fact what he calls drives (Trieb) would loosely correspond to what we generally understand instinct to be, and it's the most fundamental concept in his theory.

I think she smells the way my armpit smells when filled with pheromones and that's a good thing

i'd rather rim hers

i didn't come for these feels

picture could have been so much better if camera angle down so you cant see the platform and just looked like her standing on water

>redefining
most people wouldn't define psychoanalysis as a science

ew

drive and instinct aren't the same. freudians don't believe in instinct

this
people who post pretty girls should be ip tracked and shot

nah looks kind of stupid

trieben is more like "to have drive" or "to have an urge" than "instinct".

A better argument is that Freud would have been aware of Moro and actually deals with instincts as separate to drives.

if sexual images disrupt your nofap, you aren't doing it properly

You do have an instinct to survive which is why people that commit suicide do it by ways where you can't go back. They don't hold their breath until they die because the body would take a breath even if the mind would want to die.

It's not so much a survival instinct so much of a drive to avoid suffering, although this is still not instinct as it can be eliminated. So in that case people who commit suicide view it as a way to escape suffering, which it is not.

>According to Simplicius, Diogenes the Cynic said nothing upon hearing Zeno's arguments, but stood up and walked, in order to demonstrate the falsity of Zeno's conclusions.

devilish

why are her shorts covered in stains?

She must have slept with literally hundreds of men.

>After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley’s ingenious sophistry to prove the non-existence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it, "I refute it thus."

Thats how she drains their power

How is this relevant?

these were her in her prime

this is what she actually looks like now

sucks to suck

It was Newtonwho invented gravity but Einstein perfected it and made it available for the masses.

>Invented gravity

Still shagworthy.

Would a suicidal man try to escape a burning building? I think so. I'm sure he's very meticulous in the way he kills himself in order to avoid triggering this survival mechanism.

DEATH-DRIVE
E
A
T
H
-
D
R
I
V
E

yeah having within your purview the realization that you can check outta this trap under by your own volition, This survival instinct is the undercurrent on which suicidal ideation is to be grasped ascertainable by an apex consciousness. Does not suicide, as a method of self-preservation, conform with the causa sui?

Why is she so attractive

Because she is part Indian

Huh, I would've thought like 25% african american

He should have read Gehlen.

I had an instinct to kill myself just reading this post

she's 0% american, you dumb shit. she's english.

You know what I meant

angle would have to be change, I specified camera moved down to ground level