So Veeky Forums recommended me this translation of 'Notes from Underground' as the best...

So Veeky Forums recommended me this translation of 'Notes from Underground' as the best . Did I get trolled or is it really written in such a confusing, jumbled style?

It's Dostoevsky
Read his Karamasov Brothers in Russian, was kinda hard to read

Use Lodge or Magarshak translations. P&V are bad. You got memed or advised by retard/redditor.

OP here.

>P&V are bad
Funny how there was an entire thread in which everyone unanimously decided P&V to be the best for Dostoevsky. Collective trolling effort I guess.

Admittedly I'm kind of pissed, since I like the book but the writing style makes you re-read every other page and it takes the fun out, especially when you're tired.

I don't remember the writing being difficult. P@V get's pushed by publishers, it's the new standard for better or worse. Meaning it's your fault, try Margarshak I guess but you shouldn't be having difficulties with PV. Unless you're troubled by 150yr old english as well

It was a collective brainlet effort. P&V and Garnett are just widest used mainstream translations, so people simply "recommend" something they read even if they have no idea what they're talking about. Both are terrible and should be avoided if possible. Magarshak is a good reliable older translation. Excellent newer ones are McDuff/Lodge/Avsey/Katz.

I've literally never seen anyone advocate P&V. Sounds like you got rused or that this is a thinly veiled translation suggestion thread. Either way see pic related.

There is literally no reason to suggest that Garnett is "terrible". Give it a rest.

Revised Garnett is easily the best of any Dosto translation.

Stop being new.

There's every reason to suggest this. Unrevised Garnett (that you will find in public domain) is awful. She was an amateur and a lazy one at that. Apart from blatant mistranslations she's guilty of editorializing the bits she had trouble with or deemed unnecessarily complex. I'm a native Russian speaker if that means anything to you.

>tfw when you read Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov in PV
Is this what it feels like have read Fagles

OP here.
Thanks. Will use that to remind myself in the future. McDuff looks nice to me. Compare that to the jumbled, incoherent mess that is P&V. You live and learn I guess.

The P&V reads like something out of Google translate, holy hell.

Not really. Fagles consciously sacrificed some precision and "spiced it up" with modern language to appeal to general reader. His translation has good reason to exist. P&V pretty much did it the other way around. Volokhonskaya translated text as closely as possible and Pevear tried to make it into coherent text in English. Their method pretty much dooms every translation they make to be shit.

The Dostoevsky translations published by Oxford World's Classics, as well as the translations by those translators which are published by other publishers, are very good.

What's a good translation of House of the Dead and Demons?

>House of the Dead
Jakim
>Demons
Katz/Maguire/Magarshak

This. Read part one today of this one and it was great. On to part two tomorrow.

Anyone have an opinion on the Dostoevsky and Tolstoy translations published by Norton?

wow I wonder how many people have been disgusted by dostoyevsky because they read p&v translations. I liked garnett just fine. the revised version is nice. polished. mcduff seems fine too. is Eva Martin any good?