Any good maritime book recommendations?

Besides Moby Dick of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/American-Sea-Writing-Literary-Anthology/dp/1883011833
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Horatio Hornblower

The End of the Tether

Homer............................. Virgil............................

Library of America, 'American Sea Writing', has an EXCELLENT selection of stories and tales about the sea:
>amazon.com/American-Sea-Writing-Literary-Anthology/dp/1883011833

Whoever edited this did a first-rate job. Too many such themed compilation books are half-baked, ill-thought-out collections of the usual suspects + mediocre second-tier stuff.

By contrast, the stuff in this book is uniformly good and interesting.

This book is comfy af, to boot.

I repeate: Comfy af, senpai.

the north water by ian mcguire

Conrad has a bunch
Typhoon
Youth
Victory
The Nigger of the Narcissus
The Shadow Line

And Patrick O’Brian’s Master and Commander series is a lot of fun.

The Narrative of Arthur Pym of Nantucket. Great boat fag stuff. Bonus points for the hollow earth theory allegorical memery at the end. Poe was wayyyyy ahead of his time.

Billy Budd, Sailor

This looks great, thanks user

The Odyssey
Robinson Crusoe
Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy
Treasure Island
Kidnapped

Two Years Before the Mast is the Oregon Trail of the sea

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.

I remember some user recommending Patrick O'Brians Aubrey–Maturin series (Master & Commander etc.) months ago. Haven't read them myself though.

The Old Man and the Sea

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum, it's pretty comfy travelogue by the first person to circumnavigate the world solo

Patrick O'Brian.

It's all you need to know.

Sharpe's Trafalgar by Bernard Cornwell

I also want to read the Hornblower series ( ) as well as Aubrey-Maturin ( pretty sure O'Brian wrote them).

This. Read it in one day when I was a kid.

White Jacket
Roderick Random
And Patrick O'Brian of course

Men’s Lives and Far Tortuga both by Peter Matthiessen

good for you user

inherent vice

>ctrl-f "ancient mariner
>0 results
Veeky Forums is garbage

Funny, I ctrl-f'd 'ancient mariner' and I got a result, but unfortunately it highlighted a post by a complete faggot.

>White Jacket
I... I love you, user.

>moby dick
>good
kek, pick one

How do you miss Lord Jim and Heart of Darkness?

REKT

That painting is sex to the eyes, I love it, feels so comfy. beautiful day, nice blue sea with a few waves to keep things interesting, a bit of land in sight... I never really thought much about it but I think I'll need to own a good boat someday so as to spend some time out on the water. A bit of fishing, LOTS of drinking, from sort of method to keep a laptop connected to the internet, do some writing, perhaps bring some rifles and disassemble/clean them just for kicks, and perhaps go far enough out to reach international waters then chuck some disposable floating targets off the boat to try some ultra-difficult target shooting.

Wow, I've been called a Canadian Hunter S Thompson before, but I think all that's missing from this situation is a fuckload of drugs and a big, hairy Samoan attorney. Oh, and grapefruit, along with a Nixon mask and/or Nixon dummy. I still think, if Thompson had to choose one or the other, he'd have supported Trump though ultimately would have likely said that neither candidate was good which it could be argued was a correct assessment.

There's a couple good biographies about Lord Cochrane, who was the inspiration for O'Brian and Forester.

Patrick O'Brian is the patrician's choice. The Aubrey-Maturin series is the best literature written in the past fifty years.