Laszlo Krasznahorkai Praise Thread

For those who have read him, post what you love about him... for those who haven't; welcome to the greatest writer of the 20th/21st century.
His books "Satantango" and "Melancholy of Resistance" changed both my writing life and my life in general, not to mention his 4-5 other books, and he has a new one coming out in a month or so that I've already pre-ordered. I haven't fanboyed this hard since I was a teenager into Joy Division. He is a great admirer of Kafka but... better. Delve into his ouevre if you haven't already. The ambience, images, and prose are something absolutely original but comparable to Dostoevsksy, Kafka, Melville, etc.

Also... I forgot. He has collaborated a lot with Bela Tarr to create some of the best films ever "Satantango" and "The Werckmeister Harmonies" among others that will absolutely go down in history. Watch them after you read his novels. He is an experience to behold.

Reading War and War right now. It's prettty neat, and he certainly seems to be doing his own thing. At the part where the sailors skip ahead in time.

How are his other books compared to that one? Do they all have page-long sentences nonstop?

Brings joy to me to see a thread about this guy.

>failing to even mention The Turin Horse, Tarr's masterwork

is Seiobo There Below any good, I'm considering picking it up after get through all this John Gardner

>learning Hungarian so I can read Kraszmeister in his original language
Wish me luck lads

its his best book

>have seen Satantango in two bookstores only and failed to buy it either time
whats wrong with me anons?

Only read Satantango but it was awesome. Loved the movie too.

yes they're all like that. Herman is 75 pages and it is all one sentence. Although satango is a bit more digestible/standard
really good question. No bookstore I've ever been to has anything by him. Yes

He's an absolute beast at both imagery and pacing, and I would even argue that he outperforms Kafka in the latter, and Kafka's sense of pacing is insane.

The flow of his writing is smooth, even when he writes non-stop walls of text. This is a place in which he outshines guys Veeky Forums circlejerks or use dto circlejerk, like Pinecone and DFW.

Honestly, the only comparable reading experiences I've had to reading Satantango and The Melancholy of Resistance have been The Brothers K, The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Underworld, Ficciones, Moby-Dick, Pedro Páramo, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I felt a burning sensation in my hand when I finished Satantango.

I said "among others" but I think the two I mentioned are my favs

Also, I love how unpretentious yet layered his semiotics are, which is probably a result of his love for Kafka.

Seiobo is easily his best book but it's tonally extremely different than anything else he's published in English, and in some sense I think that's why it's so good. The hopelessness and futility in his earlier stuff is not exactly gone but it's shoved aside for an appreciation of beauty even in the face of decay.
Reading them in sequence is like watching a person overcome depression.

desu seiobo is the only thing English pub. I haven't read by him (I read him chronologically) but it's on the way to my house right now so I'm definitely hyped

the ending of satantango is among the best I've ever read and I've read a lot of books

>Spending time learning some Avari bastardization of Uralic steppenigger speech

Even Damnation and some of his earlier work like Almanac of Fall is better than Turin Horse.

>Kafka but... better
LOL ... Kafka is your comparative example? You must have poor tastes.

You guys know you can join the other plebs and read about him in The Guardian? Their puff pieces on him is as gushy as your adoring comments.

Not OP but would appreciate comparative examples.

Im gushing too, see what praise Susan Sontag and the New York Literati set heap upon him. Pic related:

krasznahorkai is lit

>the ending of satantango is among the best I've ever read
approved by pic related

Kafka is his main inspiration. The quote at the beginning of satantango is from The Castle. - op

have you read any of his books?

The castle and Satantango are basically the same exact book except written with different words. Same themes, same plot, same ideas (waiting for something that never comes -- God)

I mean, the wide praise has me quite intrigued here, but I have trouble taking anyone too seriously who regards Kafka highly.

that is really dumb of you

Perhaps you'll understand when you're out of high school.

I am. Perhaps you need to elaborate on what you hate about kafka.

Yep. Bought the DVD too.

Just because people in high school like Kafka doesn't mean he's not a great author. You'll understand this after your first year at college.

Have a grad degree, but Kafka is transgressive jewish fiction and not real literature. Time to grow up or learn to not compare other writers to a joke like Kafka in the future if you expect to be taken seriously.

This. I argued with some psued the other day who thought Nietzsche, Dostoevsky and co. were shit because they're the first thing that newfags read when they get into lit/philo.

Fans/followers/the masses do not say anything/discredit anything about a certain author/book/movie/artist etc.

Their work determines who they are. Anyone who says otherwise is more influenced by the herd than actual art or literature, on a personal level. Kafka is still amazing even if he blew up after his death, and he would be just as amazing if he never got re-discovered.

You've typed a lot but said nothing. You use a lot of buzzwords and get nowhere because you have no actual thoughts.

I'm an occasional /Pol/tard myself but you're just trying too hard at being an edgy contrarian. Is there too much nonsensical praise.for Kafka by idiots? Yes. Is most of D&G's book on him ramblings? Sure. Is Kafka still great? Yes.

Except the ones wiser and more original than your own. Sure you'll get onto the big boy books one day. Till then you'll embarrass yourself less praising Kafka because you've seen others do it.

Never posted on pol, but it sounds like you need to learn your enemy better. Kafka is angry teen fic, far from great.

Not really sure what else to say other than that I genuinely like kafka and that I have read everything that has been released by him. I guess that makes me an angry teen in your opinion, but in any case, Krasznahorkai is pretty different from Kafka even if the latter is good enough for him - a man booker prize winner - yet not for you.

Nothing personal, we've all been there. Will check him out further, thanks.

Why did I feel like throwing up through most of Satantango?

Not saying that you are wrong or right but you have no clue how to argue effectively. Your goal is to win people over; you seem to be trying to appear smarter than- your excessive ad hominem suggest otherwise.

I don't know why people tend towards thinking works like Satantango are specifically about God.
People are simply waiting for direction, order, meaning, validation, etc. Of any sort, not necessarily religious.
Krasznahorkai's particular case is about the void left by the death of communism, not so much religion. Satantango is arguably even more about this than Melancholy (collective farm collapses, world descends into chaos, nobody can figure out what to do or start to move forward).

I really really like Mr Krasznahorkai. I own all his books. Should have won the Nobel prize desu.

"It passes, but it does not pass away."

hajrá!

What's so good about Santango?

The first 50 pages involve some poor people on a communist farm feeling anxious about some people visiting them, and two idiotic guys visiting some office.

>about some people visiting them
>some people
Finish the book. It's worth it.

Anybody here read his book about Melville ?
How is it ?

Also I'm willing to sell the Animalinside cahier + the Music & Lit on him/Tarr/Neumann (both sold out, both in perfect condition) but I don't live in the US, should I put it on ebay or ?

There's always this edgy faggot that thinks his brain is normal sized. you should stop smoking out of a pipe and burn all your scarves.

I would agree with you for the most part but I thought the character of mrs halics was a pretty overt symbol of the absence of God being at least one of the things that people are genuinely missing. It isn't the only thing but there are so many obvious biblical references and religious instances (like the floating body of eszti) that it's hard not to see that as the major theme imo

Boring stuff, neck yourself retard.

I am Hungarian and thus atheist: the novelist

He is literature's current End of Level Boss. He's great.

>This is a place in which he outshines guys Veeky Forums circlejerks or use dto circlejerk, like Pinecone and DFW
>falling for the Veeky Forums meme

the ending of melancholy of resistance is even better imo. reading those pages of his exact description of decomposition gave me chills with the feeling that he was building up to something huge, and the payoff at the end throws new light on the whole book

it's pretty likely that he will some day. he'll be around a while longer