Want to have Homer in book form. What's the recommended version to get? Thinking about Lattimore

Want to have Homer in book form. What's the recommended version to get? Thinking about Lattimore.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeric_Question
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Reading *nglo translations
lol

This means nothing, no one knows what the original version of the Iliad was because it was never set in stone, there is no definitive version and there never will be. When no one even knows if the author was real, or if it was just a folk-story told throughout ancient Greece, I think you can allow some liberty to be taken with translating it.

My point was that English translations all suck. Learn French or Italian and then you can read a proper translation.

Yes, Lattimore.

FITZGERALD AND POPE
EMPHASIS ON AND

Lattimore is for people who want to study the work academically, who want as close to the Greek as you can come in English.

Otherwise pick one.

thoughts on the Samuel Butler translation? it's the most easily (readily) accessible one by far

Just had the Iliad and Odyssey arrive today, Robert Fagles translated version. Is it alright..?

>Robert Fagles translated version. Is it alright..?
No that's the pleb version, but it's probably the right fit since you didn't even think to research the translation of an ancient epic

*tips Rodney Merrill*

>learn a romance language without the fun parts of romance languages or an irrelevant one

Why not Spanish?

Fagles is my favorite. Lattimore was a bit too dry and unpoetic for me, but many other people like it.

God knows.

No comment on this one? m8s I checked the archive because I was so curious but I didn't find much besides people asking similar questions

Butler translation is fine. Be sure to read his "Authoress of the Odyssey" as well.

Where the hell do I get the Pope version? Are there any being published today?

That cover brings back good memories
First version I read
Have read a lot worse
Been meaning to find a certain version from a now forgotten excerpt heard on the radio

If we're talking about literature Spanish is certainly less important than French and Italian. Also Spanish is Italian's fat and retarded cousin.

fagles and lattimore are the generally suggested translations. I'd recommend fagles because its more popular and probably the safer route

I just hope fagles' is fag less lmao

I bought the CollinsClassic version, but can't seem to find anywhere who translated it. Did I do good?

Fitzgerald and for the love of God don't pick Fagels.

Is Green any good?

>no one even knows if the author was real
lmao, people still believe this shit?

>Step aside, BRAINLETS. The homeric question is not relevant anymore. Why? Well, because I said so of course.

I think that version translated by Alexander Pope, iirc I saw it in the publishing information page.

I don't even know on what basis the theory that Homer is not a real person even exist, but it has being shoved in my face before. I am not trying to get off as the smart one but since I've read a lot of ancient material and even prototypes (I'm actually greek), almost everyone in the classic ancient times spoke highly of him and praised him for his work and not in the slightest was he, as the creator, mixed with mythology traits by anyone, unlike all the other mythology personas.
The "psst everything before 700bc in the ancient Greece wasn't real kid" doesn't quite cut it for me.

I've read Fitzgerald's translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey, as well as his translations of the Theban Plays. I loved his Homer translations but he did an awful job of translation Sophocles. Would definitely recommend Fagles for the plays, but Fitzgerald for Iliad/Odyssey

Is that version acceptable?

If you aren't going to read it in Ancient Greek you should read Fagles.

People will go on about Lattimore about being the best, because it's "closest to the original." While that maybe true; it's better to read something well crafted and enjoyable to read than something which is trying to be something which it can never be.

If you want to go with the closest to "correct": read the Ancient Greek.

If you want to go with a good English translation: read Fagles.

If you want to be a lazy conservative (I don't mean politically) read Lattimore.

Though I'm looking forward to reading Green's translation when it's published.

Is it out yet? If so I got to order it.

Yeah dude let's just throw away centuries of scholarship because it hurts your feefees

>Muh studies
Just like Trojan war wasn't real because troy wasn't real, all the scholars said so.
Well, because some retards want to sell their shit by decomposing and twisting reality I don't know what to say to convince you, you are literally a flat earther if flat earth theory was popular. Go read the classics and find the references to Homer and his epic poems and tell me what they are telling about him. Try Plato which you may have already read.

The homeric question is still open you dumb fucking faggot.
>Well, because some retards want to sell their shit by decomposing and twisting reality I don't know what to say to convince you, you are literally a flat earther if flat earth theory was popular.
Holy shit you're fucking stupid. I never advocated in favor or against the existence of the historical Homer. All I'm saying is the question is still very open and you can't simply dismiss it because "gneeee I'm too lazy to learn about it".
>Equating serious philological work with flat Earth theory
Nice move brainlet.
Read more before shooting hot takes on the internet en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeric_Question

Great Hector first amidst both armies broke
The solemn silence, and their powers bespoke:

“Hear, all ye Trojan, all ye Grecian bands,
What my soul prompts, and what some god commands.
Great Jove, averse our warfare to compose,
O’erwhelms the nations with new toils and woes;
War with a fiercer tide once more returns,
Till Ilion falls, or till yon navy burns.
You then, O princes of the Greeks! appear;
’Tis Hector speaks, and calls the gods to hear:
From all your troops select the boldest knight,
And him, the boldest, Hector dares to fight.
Here if I fall, by chance of battle slain,
Be his my spoil, and his these arms remain;
But let my body, to my friends return’d,
By Trojan hands and Trojan flames be burn’d.
And if Apollo, in whose aid I trust,
Shall stretch your daring champion in the dust;
If mine the glory to despoil the foe;
On Phoebus’ temple I’ll his arms bestow:
The breathless carcase to your navy sent,
Greece on the shore shall raise a monument;
Which when some future mariner surveys,
Wash’d by broad Hellespont’s resounding seas,
Thus shall he say, ‘A valiant Greek lies there,
By Hector slain, the mighty man of war,’
The stone shall tell your vanquish’d hero’s name.
And distant ages learn the victor’s fame.”

This fierce defiance Greece astonish’d heard,
Blush’d to refuse, and to accept it fear’d.

>All I'm saying is the question is still very open

Same way that the question of Shakespeare authorship is open.

Nope, completely different. Once again talking about things you know nothing about. Read more and pay debts.

I'm not the Greek user.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeric_Question

As expected, the theory comes from 19th century German academics. The same kind of people that produced the JEDP / documentary hypothesis for the Old Testament. These kind of theories belong to the 19th century idea of evolution/progress, Hegel, etc. It's a shame that people still take it seriously.

Literally 0 arguments

>Great Jove

NO!

Fuck off with this piece of shit wannabe 16th century translation.

What does that have to do with anything? Do you even realize that reading it in Ancient Greek is a different experience because the language has its own set of rules and nuances that set it apart from the English language?

Project Gutenberg

I agree with this. Trying to translate things as literally as possible butchers the translation and the emotions it's supposed to convey.

It's the most balanced one. People who think the English version should be fully poetic will tell you it's for plebs, but it depends what you want. It gets the story across without clearly being shackled to rhyme schemes and poetic devices, while still being nice to read, that's what I like about it.

Go to bed, Pierre.

I got the one by the woman Alexander.