Just picked up this as my first book...

Just picked up this as my first book. Was going to go for some Greek philosophy but then decided I should really start with something at last a little shorter. Did I dun goofed?

No. It's very good

It's really good. You're going to love it user.

Yep, ya goofed. Drop it off at your nearest Goodwill as soon as possible.

The whole book can be read within the first 50 pages. There is nothing else to discover beside the mindless hedonism, the unfulfilled dandy that Ellis used to be. Once you see the problem with braindead drug usage, cult of personality, unchecked desire, schizophrenic self absorption, get out, it just repeats itself, and Ellis masturbates to his ability to notice every possible brand that he used to adore as a young clueless dandy himself, sick

Honestly this is not a great first book. It's violent and visceral and isn't a great piece of starting literature. I'd really suggest that you start with The Great Gatsby. It's a fantastic piece of literature to start reading with.

First book I read was green eggs and ham, so I applaud your ambitious spirit.

Just read what you want to read, not what some anonymous memers on Veeky Forums recommend to you
Best wishes OP

> as my first book

Like, ever? Have you never read before? Genuinely curious, OP.

American Psycho isn't a bad place to start. It's accessible, exciting, shocking (unless if you're desensitised to this kind of thing), and there's some enjoyable commentary and satire at its heart about how repulsive the superficial lifestyle is. It is repetitive because Ellis intends to focus on the character's superficiality by their recognising of every brand ever and I hear this slows the book down for some people, but if you're unphased by that, you'll probably enjoy it.

If you're wanting some other books to consider picking up, the Veeky Forums starter kit isn't a bad way of going if you don't own many books - they're all critically acclaimed and most of us have read them all so you can dive straight into discussions about them on here too.

Anybody got an epub or pdf link really interested in reading a good book with a lot of thought.

Gen.lib.rus.ec my friend

I THOUGHT IT WASN'T ON THERE BUT I CHECKED AGAIN ADVANCED SEARCH CAUSE YOU TOLD ME TO AND I FOUND IT THANK YOU SIR

I have read before, but not for years, and only a very few books. Only books I really recall reading were World War Z, The Warrior's Heart, the Bible, annnnnnnd that's about it really. I've read some other stuff, but never got invested into it. Reason I decided to pick up reading is pretty funny actually. I quit smoking pot about a month ago, and promised myself I'd develop good habits and become a better person. So why not books right?

Good idea, user. You should be fine with American Psycho really. It's not too long and in my opinion it was pretty exciting.

Here's the Veeky Forums starter kit that I mentioned. It's just a little beginner's guide to some easily accessible yet also well-respected literature. Most people on Veeky Forums have read this stuff so after reading a few, you might find it easier to discuss books here and you could find some good recommendations afterwards too. I personally loved Lolita, Of Mice & Men, A Clockwork Orange and 1984 when I first started taking a more serious interest in reading. You might have covered some of these in English classes too maybe?

All the best, dude

It's a pretty meh book, and everyone hated it when it came out because of the violence. That being said, the gore is very detailed

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

I just finished Invisible Man and the Picture of Dorian Gray. I thoroughly loved both books.

Now I'm going to start working through this Greeks chart. I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance this summer and enjoyed it but could only absorb a little bit because my philosophy background is very week. So, I'm starting with the Greeks.

can somebody tell me how to read these charts, including pic related? left to right? follow the lines? Am I just dumb?

Even better, man. Would recommend The Iliad (but many people do seem to find it very slow, but if you can get through the earlier chapters and remember that there's all those names and ships because the people in the audience at the time would have recognised their own family members as the soldiers, it's a thoroughly brilliant book); Herodotus' histories, Sophocles and if you're ever curious about trying out philosophy, the First Philosophers is essential.

I don't see Aristophanes on there though so if you want something light, humorous but also surprisingly political, his plays are a blast. The Birds and Other Plays from Penguin is a good little collection but it's Lysistrata that gets a lot of attention.

Have many people here actually read all the books in these Greek/Roman charts? I've seen some larger charts (pic related) and I have feeling that not many have (even though everyone says start with the Greeks). I would love to get around to it myself but that small Greek chart alone would take me 5-6 months to get through and I have other stuff I would prefer to read.

The book is shit, half of it is just self-indulgent trite. After the tenth description of a lavish meal or Bateman's current outfit, I zoned out.

Read Lolita instead, it's a good gateway book.

I'm only on that first mythology one and I'm really enjoying it. I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to just about everything on the list. I was forced to read Antigone in high school by a teacher I hated, so I hope I'll enjoy it more the second time around.

Its shit and one of the rare times where the movie is better than the book.

Is the book pictured for Metamorphoses the best translation?

I thought it was a wonderful book. It seemed very mean spirited when I first started it, with Bateman as the strawman for everything Ellis didn't like at the time. But as I got farther along it seemed more and more sad. Also funny, but very sad. I hope you enjoy it.