Can we get a ww1-lit thread going on?

Can we get a ww1-lit thread going on?

What are some of your favorite books about the great war?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annäherungen._Drogen_und_Rausch
libcom.org/files/Approaches - Drugs and Ecstatic Intoxication - Ernst Junger_1.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=bHiXGNTJy4w&index=68&list=PLPir0tVglKvXNzzqEUugWD-hNWA3L4MxN
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ungaretti's Poems

"Le Feu/Under Fire" by Henri Barbusse. Although the end is quite heavy-handed and somewhat hypocritical (considering Barbusse voluntarily went straight back into war after publishing it in 1916) it is still pretty impressive and really shook up the perception of the war in France.

What am I supposed to read by Drieu de la Rochelle?

It’s not about WW1 directly, rather about the atmosphere preceding it, but I really like The Magic Mountain.

All Quiet

what books does junger discuss psychedelics

Fear
Goodbye to All That

seven pillars of wisdom is GOAT

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annäherungen._Drogen_und_Rausch

i dont speak german but thanks

libcom.org/files/Approaches - Drugs and Ecstatic Intoxication - Ernst Junger_1.pdf

dope thanks

I started learning German a month ago. Should I pick it up the original text to accompwny my learning?

Finished it recently. Really enjoyable, better than Remarque but not Junger

/k/ here, huge hard-on for firearms particularly from the two World Wars. If anyone's got a question of sorts about WWI firearms then I MIGHT have an answer.

When you read about french firearms in WW1, almost every article includes tales of horrible jamming and inefficiency and eventual replacement by US arms. Why?

I've never read of that, in fact the US adopted some French arms. The Chauchat in particular, and the meme is that it's a jam-o-matic but in clean conditions it can be respectably reliable except that I've heard when it was rechambered to .30-06 for the US it became inherently unreliable but don't hold me to that. As for French rifles, the French had the most advanced rifle on the planet by far from about 1886-1887. They were the first to make and use smokeless powder instead of black powder, they were the first to use FMJ bullets instead of pure lead bullets (though I think it was the Swiss who invented FMJ, but never used it Militarily until after the French), and it also had a capacity of something like 8+1+1; 8 in the tubular mag, 1 in the elevator, and 1 in the chamber.

They were also the first to use Spitzer (pointed) bullets a few years later, but then in 1888 the British brought on the Lee Metford which had a box magazine that was easier to reload even though clips haven't come about yet, and the M1888 Commmission Rifle of Germany used en bloc clips making it probably the fastest rifle to reload in that year. 1889 had the straight-pull Schmidt-Reubin of Switzerland, 1891 had the M1891 "Three Line Rifle" Mosin from Tsarist Russia, and in 1892 America switched from the single-shot blackpowder M1872 Springfield Trapdoor to the Nowegian Krag, but they were reloaded with loose ammo instead of clips. Commercial clips showed up at some point but were somewhat complex and were never used Militarily.

That M1886 Lebel rifle that France used made all other rifles obsolete, all those black powder rifles that were largely single-shot, but it was quickly shown up by better smokeless powder designs. Once the Berthier rifles showed up though, even though the first used mere 3-round en bloc clips, they still allowed for quick reloading and were also lighter/cheaper designs as far as I know. I don't really know off the top of my head of France adopting any US firearms, I'm not completely dismissing the idea but I don't know of any. The US however, well, the M1903 was a blatant Mauser copy to the point that royalties were paid to Mauser for each rifle manufactured, and America was manufacturing British P14 rifles for, well, the British. Some Mauser elements but unique enough to where, apparently, no royalties needed to be paid. When America joined the war finally in 1917, they were in DESPERATE need of rifles, so modified the tooling of the P14 to rechamber it to .30-06 and thus the M1917 was born, a blatantly rechambered British design that took German elements.

Believe it or not, the French throughout much of history was ahead of the game in terms of firearm designs, and had potentially contributed more than any other nation in terms of firearm advancement. So say what you will about their history, but any firearm historian worth their salt will have nothing but respect for the history of French arms development. I'm not French, by the way.

Choke on an M1 Garand and pull the trigger.

I heard that the Penguin translation of Storm of Steel butchers and omits a lot of the original. Is there any recommended translation/edition I should pick up?

Has anyone read the real version of this book?

I read the normie one and then I read after doing so that basically all translations and copies available remove the core meaning of the book which is heavily favoring fascism/german exceptionalism/nationalism.

Its still an OK book to read because his writing style is so over the top in dramaticism, he comes off as a robot in the books I read which I don't think is correct if there was an actual context behind it which has been censored.

poetry read aloud

youtube.com/watch?v=bHiXGNTJy4w&index=68&list=PLPir0tVglKvXNzzqEUugWD-hNWA3L4MxN

Good post, thank you /k/.

Worst way to read poetry

You mean that rifle designed by a French Canadian? The one made by John Cantius Garand born in St.Remi, Quebec, Canada? The rifle he started working on around 1918 or 1919 before gaining dual Canadian/American citizenship?That one?

Teasing aside though, my book Firearm Valhalla actually starts out with an M1 Rifle however it's kept a little bit vague for quite some time to leave it up to the reader to figure it out just based on the details, I find that to be fun, deducing a firearm based on details. Took the picture on the cover myself, 10 points if you can name all of them, though sounds like you already know what the left-hand one is.

Glad you liked it, I love Military history and the history of arms development. I literally could write a book about firearm history and someday I probably literally will as I come to learn more and more. Cheers!

I think he rewrote the book several times.
The old editions should be able to find somewhere.