He believes in Sapir–Whorf hypothesis

>He believes in Sapir–Whorf hypothesis

I bet many here do, they just don't understand what the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is hehe

i think it's bullshit, but that's probably because as an english-speaker i'm not prone to relativistic thinking

Nice.

I don't watch star trek

>using some shitty name name instead of a descriptive name
It's called linguistic relativism and it obviously exists, the extent is the question.

The fact that language influences worldview is a common sense concept. It's hard to prove but it 's something you notice as you study more languages. How's first year of college going user?

This essentially. The strong form is obviously false, and the weak form is obviously correct.

Recommend a full spread of photon torpedos

I remember in philosophy class we talked about this and the "proof" given was that in Russia they have no word for "personal space" and therefore are friendly being close to each other or some stupid shit like that.

Expected moderate laff.

Why did you reply to everyone in the thread?

Yeah that's pretty basic. Negros don't have a word for ice, while eskimos have a 100 different words for different sorts of snow. Different worlds, different words.
English has blue, which can be light and dark, while Russian has two different words for light blue and dark blue, so they are to different colors.
The question is, does the name come before the concept or the other way around? Or kind of simultaneously? What did Plato say about this?

>while eskimos have a 100 different words for different sorts of snow.
That's a myth boyo

There are plenty of words for "ice" in various African languages and dialects, and not just those spoken by the diaspora, but also indigenous African tongues, and not just loan words, either. The mysteriously absent cognate is "hard work."

>he doesnt

so then theres no point in hating doubleplusgood politcally correct newspeak?

>English has blue, which can be light and dark
Cyan, azure, teal, turqoise, aquamarine, ultramarine.
>Russian has two different words for light blue and dark blue, so they are to different colors.
They're not. The word for cyan is just much more common than in English.
>does the name come before the concept
How would that even work?

Which is nonexistent in English since you had to add an adjective you tool.

Because that's how many cocks I want in and around my holes.

>No one mentions the fact that linear "time" is not found in Hopi or indigenous Australian languages, which in one group has no word for "left" or "right" since their language and culture make them compass-based e.g. they will sort photos from east to west, as opposed to left to right in English, right to left in Japanese, or descending downwards in Mandarin

Your humour is non existant