How do i read this book?

how do i read this book?

It's full of tlashbacks and flashforwards and 50% of it is figurative speech.

>how do i read this book?
with your eyes dummy

page 1: "With your eyes, dummy"
rest of the book is blank pages

>50% of it is figurative speech.
??
It's not,

be considerate, he can't read

only read the first two chapters and it is

A book can be whatever you want if you don't read it, yes.

does it get clearer further in the book?

I don't know what to tell you, since I didn't think of it as unclear at any point

Learn Spanish, then read it.

From beggining to end, brainlet. Refer back to the family tree as needed.

This exactly. It seems like a clusterfuck at first, but isn‘t. The only confusing thing is the multitude of Aurelianos and José Arcadios, so a family tree is often handy.
Other than that it‘s rather straightforward after a while.

Made perfect sense to me when i read it at the age of 15 OP, maybe literature isn't for you.

It retroactively explains many of the shifting perspectives later in the book OP.

frankly, i find it rather pathetic that 'not knowing what's going on' doesn't simply make you realize that you'll have to read more to figure it out. It wouldn't be called one of the greatest novels of all time if they just dropped everything from the first chapters.

You really need to power through things like this OP, your lack of patience is sad to see

Boi why do people read for the plot, i'm not even memeing, look at the language and the poetry of the words, how is the book not enjoyable just for that.

Even if you're just pretending to read books just to talk about them, you could write an entire essay, or ponder in joy, at least convince some amherst girl to succ your dick based on the sheer power of that first sentence.

>when he invites you to go see ice for the first time

>why do people read for the plot
because it's fucking interesting you knob?

Since this board has gone to complete dogshit, I feel compelled to ask: are there any other literature boards/sites you browse that are worthwhile?

How am I supposed to read this book??

No.

It gets easier to follow if you keep at it. Also try to skim through something on Colombia's history, there's a lot of references and allegory you'll be able to pick up, and it makes the book much more enjoyable

I think OP may at least be a little right, One Hundred Years of Solitude is actually a bit difficult to read because so much happens in it compared to other books. It's told in a tone that sounds like he's summarizing another super long book, brisk pace & tons of major events that you can't miss without losing track of the characters. You have to read it like any other book but you just have to read it deliberately, to keep track of timeline

It's one of my favorite books, but it is not "figurative" it's pretty straight forward. Maybe you are referring to metaphors and the magical realism stuff, but those are still pretty damn straight forward.

you have not read that book