St. Augustine's Confessions

I'm a few chapters into Confessions (Pusey translation), and I have to say, I've never read anything like it; perhaps the translator is particularly skillful, or perhaps Augustine's style is somewhat palpable in the English, but I have never enjoyed prose reading so much (obviously I'm not very well-read, but bear with me) – the only thing that comes close for me so far is the Somnium Scipionis, which I read in Latin a few years back, and found particularly beautiful. That said, my Latin is not good enough to read the original Confessions, so I was hoping there would be some other anons who have done so already that would care to comment on the experience.

>also, did anyone else feel such enjoyment reading Confessions? I feel like I may be a sucker for divinity, but there just seems to be something about this work, about the translation. Any similar recommendations?

>also general discussion on early christian writing is much appreciated, I'm making this post to learn

I feel the same way! But I've been reading Sheed ... maybe I should go back to the library and pick up Pusey to compare. Have you sampled any other translations?

Also, what does he mean in 1.IV when he says "Yet woe to them that speak not of Thee at all, since those who say most are but dumb."

Basically that normies ruin everything

I can't imagine a translation can be as or more beautiful than the original Latin. It is a masterpiece.

if you're OP then I'm disappointed and I want my money back

Even those that say the most are dumb, so how dumb is a man who says nothing?

He's saying that what he previously said about God barely scratches the surface of his divine being, and what any wise man can say of Him is still next to nothing compared to the reality of God. But still it is good to talk about Him even if only the relatively shallow way we can.
He's asking how we can look for something if we don't even know exactly what it is we're looking for. And his answer is simply to have faith. If we seek God he will reveal himself to us.

>translation
stopped reading there

get fucked you pseud

I haven't sampled any other translations! but I'm certainly tempted to now.
no, wasnt me
I have a hard time parsing this bit out very much, but i may just be a brainlet. Something it reminds me of, for a modern reference, is in Death of a Salesman, braggart Willy Loman is absolutely taken back by the humble yet successful bernard, and cant fathom bernard's father's explanation that "he doesn't have to talk about it, he's gonna DO it". Idk if this means much to you, but this is what my mind got drawn to. I guess another thing that it drew me to was a Shakespearian quote (no idea where it's from) "better a witty fool than a foolish wit", so in other words woe to him that speaks verbosely but says little, and salvation to him that may yet not say much, but means much. I could be off the mark, but I always like when a line sends my thoughts off towards another work. Things like this line are what make me so curious about the latin, I wonder how much different something like that section may be.

also just saw
this user clearly understands it better than I do, thanks to him for a good explanation

I think people are getting confused by this translation. It makes it sound like people who say more are dumb. But then why woe to him that says nothing?

t. &

i think the important distinction is "nothing of thee", meaning they can still be quite full of wasted words about meaningless things.

How is the difficulty? Easier than earlier classics?

Like half of it is bible quotes and the bible is one of the easier things to read in Latin. If you only know classical Latin it might be a little weird but shouldn't be a problem, just get an ecclesiastical Latin dictionary. Or just use the internet.

>confessions
>enjoyment

How? I've tried to get into Augustine, but all ancient writers are utterly fucking alien and hard reading to me.

Yeah its definitely difficult getting started with classical writing when you mostly read novels from the last few centuries. It's worth the effort though.
It's not enjoyable in the same way, and takes effort.

My favorite book was book x, how about you guys?

The pear tree was good too, really made me think about some of my past actions.

haven't gotten to x yet, but Im looking forward to it! I also really enjoyed the pear tree, sin for sin's sake isn't something I'd thought or read much about beforehand

I've always hated this sentence. The preceding lines of the passage are beautiful, but then he ends it with this nonsense.

I liked City of God better

It's certainly a bit intimidating to get into. I own it but have never gotten anywhere with it. What did you like about it?

>obviously I'm not very well-read,
> Somnium Scipionis, which I read in Latin a few years back

required in high school a few years back m8, don't hate on me with the wojak

You just have to keep reading them, and rereading them. It gets easier.

Dude where do you live where you read Latin texts in high school

new england. another answer is "several centuries in the past"

>tfw poor as fuck dumb dumb formative years in a run down shithole of a backwards town
>tfw just wanted to grow up reading latin and being smart and you call yourself not well read for doing that

user im sorry that was rude to say, everybody gets dealt a different hand. we cant choose how we grow up, but we can choose what we do with what we get. where is it that you live bro-user?

Are you Catholic yet at least?

You can find it free online if you want to check it out. Lots of universities have it on their websites.

Wait I thought it was a mango?

>Been meaning to finish reading Confessions
>Open bookmark, page 234.
>Augustine hoping God will cure his wet dreams

its a wild ride

i don't know