How did you get started writing?

How did you get started writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Timothy 1:9-10&version=ESV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not sure if it's supposed to be funny, or just terrible.

I need some kind of outlet for my thoughts. I'm too much of a recluse to do a public activity so art seems like the next best thing. I SUCK at painting. I SUCK at sculpting. I'm OK at music but I can't sing and I certainly can't afford the equipment. So writing was probably the thing that fit two conditions I was looking for: cheap and I had some natural aptitude for it. Second place would probably be photography/film, but I'm on the fence about sinking the money into it, especially because it seems to have a large equipment/technical/post-production component to it that also seems to me a bit daunting.

Read a good book. Mimic their style. Continue to read more varied stuff and write more until you achieve your own voice.

Always wanted to write a book. One day I started. About 5 days later I had around 75,000 words if I recall correctly. Spent around 1.5 months editing it then self-published it. Still found inherent problems with my writing so I spent another perhaps 2 months give or take editing it, really slow process, I fucking hate editing. That's how the book has remained for 8 months now, and I've made about $55 Canadian from it thus far, which is probably around $44 US, $57 Australian, or (complete guess here) 30 British Pounds. I've also written four sequels for it which has earned me about $77 from what I can tell, and that's American so in Canadian or Australian is nearly $100, or I guess maybe 50 GBP?

All in all, it's been a lot of fun doing all this writing and I find it incredibly kickass to have made even this modest sum of money from doing what I love. I've gotten some incredible readers that I exchange emails with fairly regularly and I'm sure I'll get more in time. I have no intentions to stop writing anytime soon, and I also find OP's pic to be awesome. The more I learn about Christianity and I continue to do so with an open mind, the more proud a Christian I become. What a contrast there is between Christianity and Islam; I find Family Guy and South Park to be very funny even when they make blatant fun of Jesus, sometimes ESPECIALLY when they make fun of Jesus, but I don't hear much in the way of Christians calling for the death of the artists. I've actually never heard of ANY Christians calling for the death of artists who make fun of Jesus but if anyone has proof of such events I'd like to hear about it. Whereas those who have drawn Prophet Muhammad and those who continue to draw Him are routinely met with death threats occasionally even coupled with actual attempts on their lives. I'm glad Christianity is so much more forgiving and open-minded.

Two main reasons I can think off would be...
>being stuck in a kind of juvenile detention center for skipping school
Sis sent me a shitty drawn comic, and I wasn't confident enough in my drawing skills to reply in a way I imagined, so had to write a story back.
>wanting to create a video game
Realised pretty early that one person is not enough to create the stuff I want, and I really, REALLY dislike to working with other people.

Besides, I am generally flooded by ideas and dreams about ideas, loved reading since I am 3 and loved writing essays in school. Also I am great at bullshitting people and that's what's stories are in a way. Then obviously the simplicity of it, you can write basically everywhere, no one can take it away from you, whether you're a bum or working 90h weeks.

Also as another user mentioned, it's very affordable. My Judaism wouldn't survive the amount of cash needed to learn how to paint and before Garage Band, making music seemed way too complicated and arcane, and even now the amount of learning needed before I could even begin to imagine doing something I'd want, seems so daunting. Film would have the same downsides as vidya development, and photography never seemed something worth my time and felt like writing fan fiction.

>bout 5 days later I had around 75,000 words
Nigga, what? What the fucking fuck. Fuck. Pretty impressive, no matter how shit it was.

>I've actually never heard of ANY Christians calling for the death of artists who make fun of Jesus but if anyone has proof of such events I'd like to hear about it.
Minimal amount of googling would do the job. Generally Christfags are do tend to be more chill and liberal but most of these also come from much more advanced countries, so it's kinda shortsighted to make it about religion. If you check backwards countries in Eastern Europe, it gets even worse.

I blew Truman Capote

I spent basically 5-6 days flat-out writing. Made a 2nd draft, it ended up around 79k words. Roughly half of a 3rd draft, around 82k words, I seemed to only make slightly alterations and add stuff rather than actually remove anything. Then around Jan-Feb when I edited again so it was basically 3.5 drafts by the time all was said and done. As I learned more problems with my writing, I stopped making them, so my 1st drafts since then have been incredibly clean from what I can tell. Learned simple things like seasons of the year shouldn't be capitalized, meals of the day shouldn't be capitalized, directions of the compass shouldn't be capitalized, it's blond for males and blonde for females, etc. As I learn, my quality of writing improves.

Oh I don't think the general peacefulness of Christians is merely due to kickass western culture, try reading the Quran sometime. Draw your own conclusions, but here's a few things you can expect; fight in the name of Allah, those who refuse to fight when called upon shall be "punished with a painful punishment", hunt down and kill non-believers (meaning non-Muslims or basically infidels), don't trust non-Muslims even if it's your own father, Polytheists (Hindus/Wiccans/Vikings) are lower than slaves, beat your wife if she proves arrogant, Prophet Muhammad struck Aisha (married at 6, 'consummated' at 9) "in the chest, causing great pain", those who are unfit to fight in the name of Allah cannot claim any credit if the campaign was successful, don't trust Jews or Christians, spend as much money you can on equipment with which to fight in the name of Allah for it will all be paid back to you in the end, but no seriously don't trust Jews or take them as allies, aaaand yeah I think that's a decent introduction. By all means though, read it yourself, and if you find my assessment to be biased and unfair then I invited you to share your own interpretation on Veeky Forums when you get the chance.

I did find SOME nice things in the Quran though; "o you who have believed, do not kill yourselves or one another." Those who believe are Muslims, and Prophet Muhammad is saying for Muslims not to commit suicide or kill other Muslims. That's good. Not as good as 'thou shalt not kill', but it's something, even though it doesn't really work since there's been Islamic civil war literally as SOON as Prophet Muhammad died in the 7th century. It also says that if Muslims should suffer injustice does not mean they should then be unjust, always fight for what is just. Sounds good... but what is 'just' according to Prophet Muhammad and the Quran? Wage war, fight, have sexual relations with 9 years olds, smack them around if they don't obey their husband, kill non-believers who refuse to convert to Islam when asked, etc. By western standards, being 'just' by the standards of Islam is not being 'just' at all.

Could you imagine, though, if Jesus Christ had waged wars, called for executions, stonings, the taking of slaves, etc.?

Tell me more.

What about the more structural aspects about writing? Spelling is the most easy part after all.
I think my best speed was 40k in two weeks, of which most were spend on a smaller part, though during editing and going for full minimalism most of it was cut either way.

Your assessment about Quran is correct but you'd find tons of similar crazy stuff in Thora and New Testament too (which itself got adjusted a lot through history), besides just like with Christians, there are so many different groups who all have their different interpretations, that go way beyond the basic Shia/Sunni. With he other books and scrolls and there is a lot of contradictory stuff and historically Muslims treated the unbelievers way better than Christians. Another cool thing about the Quran is the higher acceptance and even encouragement of science of science. I'd rate the New Testament as the more "advanced" book and specially Jesus is a great character but most of the apostles share Mohammeds dumb ideas. And with history, we have a great confirmation that people were cool with committing dumb shit and excusing it with faith from all sides.

The Quran is all about treating your slaves well, while Paul tells them to obey their master as they would obey God. (And Ramadan is all about empathising with the poor) Peter is cool with offing non-believers, and "submit to your husband" is a pretty basic thing in the bible too. Also didn't Jezuz tell his gang to torture and kill Jezebel? Matthew is a crazy ass dude too, saying Jesus is there to fulfil the crazy shit from the Old Testament. There is no point comparing one violent book with another. Anyone following either literally is bound to act like a total dickhead, while people who read between the lines can be pretty decent.

Though it's a shame that specially Christians in US struggle so much with something like "None of you should be looking out for your own interests, but for the interests of others."

What are some of the similarities between the Apostles and Mohamed?
Cheers

I started writing in kindergarten according to my mom. We all did a project one day where we had to "write a book" and apparently while most of the students had to be prodded along I produced multiple pages. I've been writing ever since.

Evangelical Christianity in the US is basically Satanism.
No.10194216
Also, im not so sure about the Islam and Science thing. This gets brought up a lot for PC reasons, and its true that the Arabs kept alive a lot of Greek knowledge while Europe was in the depths of the dark ages, but the 'revealed and final word of God', as an idea, doesn't really leave much room for human inquiry, does it?

I like how my book turned out. I've been writing for years but I'm no professional editor or anything like that so as far as structure goes it might be complete shit, but I like it. I'm maintaining about 3/5 stars or more, depending on what site you look, so while it's not perfect at least it would seem over half of people who read it like it.

There's crazy stuff in the OLD Testament, but so far the New Testament seems quite tame, lots of stuff about peace and love. I've yet to find any homophobia in the New Testament but I'm keeping my eye out. There's absolutely a lot of shitty stuff in the Old Testament for sure, like Leviticus 20:13 "if a man should lay with a man as he would a woman then they should both be put to death" and Leviticus Chapter 20 is just filled with things people should be killed/stoned to death for, but Leviticus was written between 330-530BC hundreds of years before Jesus, who ultimately said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" which flies in the face of some of the teachings of the Old Testament.

Jesus has taught us that we can have our own interpretation, and that things can change over time. There's even talk of a 'second coming' of Jesus as I recall, which means that further alterations might happen to Christianity someday. As for Islam, none of that's allowed. The Quran is the word of God, it cannot be seen with any interpretation other than the one given by Prophet Muhammad, and anything else is absolutely wrong. If a Jesus-like Muslim came about, preaching peace and tolerance and love, that husbands should never beat their wives, that goes against the Quran and that Jesus-like Muslim would be killed IMMEDIATELY in the Middle East. In western society, with heavy security, He might live long enough to establish beliefs for a New Testament of the Quran, which Islam is in desperate need of if they want Muslims to be able to properly integrate into the west. Islam needs peace, but it is filled with war.

user, we all have google available, it's not too hard to find insane stuff from the New Testament with its help.
Cheers

How about "Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave"? And tons of references to scientific phenomena in the Quran? It's not just keeping the Greek knowledge alive, the Islamic golden ages while the Western world went to shit following another idea are not coincidences and even now some theocratical shithole like Iran produces great STEMfags. As with Christianity, a lot depends on the interpretations and whatever certain scholars decide. Look at how much the acceptance of evolution differers across Muslim countries. It's all a mess yo. Some are more advanced than Murica, others even worse.

If I recall it right, Quran isn't big on homophobia either, and there are gay muslims who defend their faggotory with it but just like homos in Russia, they tend to live in generally very backwards society, where it's encouraged to hate on people who are different.

>I've yet to find any homophobia in the New Testament
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Timothy 1:9-10&version=ESV
Specially the bits about enslavers is funny given the bits that encourage it. It's a pointless as fuck discussion, because almost no one takes either book literally, which wouldn't even work with all the contradictions. Why going on and on about "my book is better/theirs is worse" instead of looking at individual believers?

>The Quran is the word of God, it cannot be seen with any interpretation other than the one given by Prophet Muhammad, and anything else is absolutely wrong.
Yet there are still thousands of Quran scholars trying to interpret and understand it. Many who came to different conclusions and change old interpretations.

Read books with strange and interesting settings like one based off of tribal aboriginals with them inhabiting an entire world filled with the insane shit you'd find in native mythologies. There was also some other book that had people throwing their motherfucking thoughts at people as a pastime. Watching bizarre anime as well. The lack of good modern fantasy in the west attracted me to all the magic weebshit based in the real world which made me want to write my own bizarre edgy shit. Although, I don't think I'd have ever actually gotten started if fanfiction hadn't finally gotten me interested enough to try my own. Thank god I quickly realized how pointless fanfics were though.

If the best homophobia you can find in the New Testament is something that vaguely says that the law is for sinners/homosexuals, when the book was written over 1500 years ago, I'm cool with that. Laws change, and homosexuality is no longer against the law in the west thanks to Christians that evolve with the times. Seems like Muslims only degrade with time, and in part that could probably be explained by all the inbreeding. It's a serious problem in the Middle East, particularly Pakistan. LOTS of first-cousin marriages. Like, huge amounts. To the point that Pakistani Brits are statistically FAR higher to experience birth defects to their children than British births.

Maybe you could google the word 'discussion' while you're at it dipshit

Yep this is true, ironically its also true of the British upper classes who inbreed for property inheritance reasons. So you have the absolute top and bottom of a society sharing this cousin fucking culture interstingly

>when the book was written over 1500 years ago
Come on, mate. That's backtracking. From "I don't know anything it says about homophobia" to "well, it's not that bad, the book is old" ignoring that many much, much older civilisations didn't have the issue.

>Seems like Muslims only degrade with time,
Lebanon got gay clubs. Most of countries are at the same social development stage their economical situation would suggest.

And well, Pakistan is a mess, with inbreeding being far from the top of issues they have. Isn't inbreeding a big issue for Christians in South India too? Either way, let's go back on topic.

"Tell me the thing I'm too lazy to research" is not a discussion, especially given just HOW simple it is in this case. You wouldn't ask why people think that Clare Quilty is a pedo when discussing Lolita, would you?

Hey, I address that in the Old Testament it calls for the death of gays, and I believe that's wrong. What was pointed out above however was the New Testament saying that law was for sinners, homosexuals, and a bunch of other stuff that was considered distasteful. It's not outright saying that homosexuality should be illegal but that they should abide by the law, and modern law in the west says that gays are fine and that they can even get married which I'm on board with it. I'm not disregarding it just because "it's old", but because I don't see that as homophobia. I'm a sinner, the law is for me too. And?... anyways, I'm open to hearing more cases if you have them. I wasn't denying that there is any homophobia in the New Testament, but I genuinely don't know of any. I know there's some in the Old Testament but Jesus is against putting people to death unless it's a thief breaking into your house at night who happens to be struck with a fatal blow. It's in Matthews somewhere I think.

As for incest, yeah, inbreeding is a major issue there. I don't know about Christians in India. Yeah the British upper class has some there, or at least in nobility, and that's not cool, but in the Middle East it's a HUGE issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves the number was 70% of marriages in Pakistan being with 1st cousins, Osama Bin Laden's 1st wife was also a 1st cousin.

Having gay clubs in Lebanon (which has a 50% Christian population I hear or close to it) doesn't change the fact that Islam is causing a buttload of terrorism basically anywhere in Europe that they can stream into. Thankfully Poland is being sensible and keeping them out, resulting in their citizens being pretty safe, just like the people of Japan. Canada recently had a terrorist attack too, in Edmonton, Alberta. Thankfully the fucker was an absolute shit terrorist, didn't kill anyone, and an RCMP Officer was a complete badass. Sent flying several meters, stabbed multiple times, still managed to fight the Muslim terrorist piece of shit off, and still didn't die. They found an ISIS flag in the vehicle they own. I hope they beat his ass good once they dragged the goat-fucker to the cells at the station, and I don't say that lightly; I've been arrested and locked up in Edmonton. I don't have the highest opinion of the Edmonton Police obviously, but they've regained some of my respect in the outcome of that situation.

just shut up and go shoot up a high school already

I just checked, Lebanon appears to have a roughly 40.4% Christians and 54% Muslim. I highly doubt there would be any gay clubs whatsoever if it were 90% or more of a Muslim population, and in truth I'm still skeptical as to whether there truly is gay clubs in Lebanon but since there's so many Christians there it wouldn't be TOO hard to believe, but it's still in the Middle East where they like to throw gays from rooftops so it's all a little bit sketchy. Either way, they still have a LONG way to go before they can compete with superior western culture that of course has a nice basis of Christianity at its foundation. Apparently there's roughly 100 Jews in Lebanon too, but something tells me they stick to the Christian neighbourhoods rather than the Muslim ones. It's scary, how anti-Semitic the Quran is. I honestly believe Hitler probably loved the Quran.