How does one start with the greeks exactly?

How does one start with the greeks exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9FrHGAd_yto
docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The best time to start something was yesterday, the second best time is now.

you should start with the earliest dated glyphs / pictrograms. then you should proceed to reconstructed proto-indo-european. then to sumerian and early egyptian works. once you've covered those, come back with your question.

The Iliad and Odyssey

Be Greek. Everyone else does it somewhere in the middle.

youtube.com/watch?v=9FrHGAd_yto

>Be Greek

That remind me of some /int/ meme. What if I'm Greek?

I am greek.

Despite obvious criticisms I'd start with Herodotus. Besides making inquiries about the peoples around them, Herodotus delves a little into earlier Athenian history before concluding grandly with the Persian wars, the beginning of Athenian (and Spartan on most of the Peloponese) hegemony. This lasts only a couple generations- the time of the great dramatists- The Peloponesian War concludes it, therefore read Thucydides next, the HPW truly one of the masterpieces of World lit. The philosophers rise from the ashes of this disaster. Conclude with them.
History, drama, philosophy, Plutarch..

pay debts

>Divide your free time, (I mean of your vacant hours) into three portions. Give the principal to History, the other two, which should be shorter, to Philosophy and Poetry.
>First read Goldsmith's history of Greece. This will give you a digested view of that field. Then take up antient history in the detail, reading the following books, in the following order: Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophontis Hellenica, Xenophontis Anabasis, Arrian, Quintus Curtius, Diodorus Siculus, Justin. This shall form the first stage of your historical reading, and is all I need mention to you now. The next, will be of Roman history. From that, we will come down to modern history. In Greek and Latin poetry, you have read or will read at school, Virgil, Terence, Horace, Anacreon, Theocritus, Homer, Euripides, Sophocles. Read also Milton's Paradise Lost, Shakspeare, Ossian, Pope's and Swift's works, in order to form your style in your own language. In morality, read Epictetus, Xenophontis Memorabilia, Plato's Socratic dialogues, Cicero's philosophies, Antoninus, and Seneca. In order to assure a certain progress in this reading, consider what hours you have free from the school and the exercises of the school.

Thomas Jefferson's letter to his nephew, August 1785

Start by reading about early greek history and then about the greek myths. It is important to get a good grasp of homeric society before reading the iliad and the odyssey.

pay debts

Really nice. What a patrician.

That "Antoninus" there, is it the meditations?

How the Greeks started with the Greeks? By reading Homer: here's your answear.

Read Homer?

I'm reading the Republic by Plato and I don't understand any of it

>Thomas Jefferson's letter to his nephew, August 1785
Oh shit

Jefferson was a pseud cuck. If the founding fathers were internet websites he would be reddit.

>muh unattainable agrarian paradise
he was a complete shit.

Read homer

This.

Did you just start with The Republic? The Republic is one of the last texts you should read when studying the Greeks, and by that time it will be quite easy and actually enjoyable. If you desperately want to read primary texts from Plato, start with the Apology, continue with Crito and Phaedo and only then you should look further.

hey guys i made a new meme

pay debnt

Is history even that relevant to the ideas of the greeks?

No him, but I'm doing that right now. I pretty much have to have google open while I read it since I know so little about a lot of the people/events that are referenced. Are there any history (probably best from a modern view point) that I can use to supplement this, when I go back and reread Plato?

The great men embodied the ideas.

I found it to be effective to first convince myself that the wisdom of the Greeks is at the heart of the secret societies and superpower organizations that still run shit today. For this I used the secret teachings of all ages. I also convinced myself that what they teach actually holds the cure for human suffering. Both of these factors gave a religiosity to my reading that helped me focus on, remember, and understand key points. People try to discount the content due to its age, as if they were cavemen back then, but if you take it seriously, you will find that all good arts and intellectual pursuits since 400 b.c. are just dirty reflections of that which Plato presented clearly. Read Plato's dialogues as though they were a sacred text. They are the closest thing to a sacred text that we will ever know. Read them, read them, and then read them. Socrates referred to himself as a weaver of images, and this plays a strong part in the psychological process he teaches. By reading the dialogues over and over with religiosity, the images Plato uses will start to take on life in your mind. You will understand your experience by means of the tools he gives you. All great people have one thing in common: a lasting interest in Plato's teachings. All other people aren't actually great. They are probably just leaching the likeness of great ideas from other people who actually are interested in Plato. If you read through all of the dialogues three times you will think of this achievement as the most important thing you have ever done.

There is a Google docs that I had on my old phone, but have since lost it. Does anyone have it? It's fucking fantastic, all you'll need.

Nvm, found it. Here user.
docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
Good shit.

Then start by going to school.

homer, generally homer
or sophocles

just like they teach you in school

anal sex with swarthy dudes

>just like they teach you in school

They didn't teach us shit in school

what does that have to do with the way everyone else learned greek tragedy/romance?

Damn

>They didn't teach us shit in school
A great true.

Here sou go user.
Follow the instructions and ascend to a higher plane of existence.

Say I don't start with the Greeks but Instead start with the Early modern philosopher and eventually get to the Greeks. What crucial details will I be missing out on ?

Just read them you half-wit

Nobody answers this question because it's a meme. Greeks are considered so important because they used somewhat coherent reasoing and basic emprisicm to make philosophical conjectures. Sure it's cool and entertain but most modern people intuitively understand these concepts. If you MUST read Greeks then you are the half wit who will never make it.

>start with the Early modern philosopher
I fucking hate you people, you started with Nietzsche like every other edgy faggot didn't you

Every quote i've ever read of nazture has always been bollocks and laughable. Imagine saying this shit seriously.

>muh misunderstood intelektual

Just because you are slow and require a 4 year curriculum to understand things that you should have understood simply by being alive and interacting with the world doesn't mean that everybody has the same needs as you.

>trust me, I've read the wiki article
Veeky Forums's "intellectuals"