Im hoping to find the single most horrifying novel you know about

Im hoping to find the single most horrifying novel you know about.

Other urls found in this thread:

docslide.net/documents/guyotat-pierre-eden-eden-eden-cut.html
besthorrornovels.com/best-modern-horror-books.html
besthorrornovels.com/underrated-horror-books.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pet Semetary

It's kind of a meme pick, but there it is. It's the best, or at least the best, most horrifying novel I've read, by some distance.

I'm looking for some newer horror to read but don't read much outside of history books and fantasy/sci-fi schlock. Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite books. Pls help this brainlet.

I can't find horror novels scary unless I read them high on marijuana

my diary desu

Eden Eden Eden is apparently pretty choice

Lord Horror by David Britton

i looked into this. it's like a modern 120 days written as one continuous sentence, set during the algerian civil war. sort of a 160 page grotesque of violent sex and torture without much respite. some sources said it's remarkable innovation mimicked the mentality of war as a whole--what with the author intentionally repeating words and phrases as often as possible as to be nauseatingly repetitious and steadily increasing the gross-factor until disgust evolves into a kind of high-art.

hm. maybe. idunno seems like something created solely to shock. anyone read it?

>the cheapest possible copy of the original english translation, uncensored, runs about a hundred bucks
is it bad that this makes me want to read it even more

God, how did Lynch do that?

The Conspiracy Against the Human Race desu

Nothing in horror scares me anymore; The thing that created a vauge sense of fear in me was stories about the forest ranger posted on r/nosleep and Missing 411. Missiing people always make for good scary stories because you don't know what happen to them so everything seems plausible.

The Bible

Have fun.

docslide.net/documents/guyotat-pierre-eden-eden-eden-cut.html

Are there any good horror novels about witches? I mean based strictly on European folk beliefs about witches. The perfect example of what I need is movie The VVitch: A New-England Folktale.

Look for Ágota Kristóf trilogy:

The Notebook

The Proof

The Third Lie

Some of the most dark and depressing writing ever

hm. well it's a new type of writing for sure. it's barely a sentence. it's just a list of observations. nouns and what those nouns are doing, separated by semicolons and colors. also the author neglects artcles: a, an, the. so the text comes across one big list of things. and from that you're supposed to discern the vague outline of a plot, what perspective the narrative is written from, when and where the events are taking place.

it's hard for me to be 'disturbed' by much of this. it's just really direct. but kudos--it really is a unique style. never seen anything like it. i got about 25 pages in and then got bored, but i imagine i'll find some time to give it the full go when i'm feeling particularly edgy. unfortunately it feels sort of gimmicky, but taken as a whole, who knows. maybe it'll bring about some profundity.

any 'violent' or 'disturbing' works which are more... idunno... readable? plot centric?

also--if you want to enjoy the work you have to put yourself 'there' mentally, something i neglected to do. when he's describing the items and events, it requires some imagination from the reader to actually envision them, not just acknowledge them, all the imagery flying over your head. so maybe next time i'll try that. hone in my focus and whatnot

Any book written by a right-wing authoritarian and/or a religious person.

Conspiracy against the human race

Depends, I don't exactly read books with horror as the main focus.
I guess. . .
>Children of Hurin.
I cried more than I said wtf.

The Wasp Factory. I found it to be so unsettling that I stopped reading.

I read it when I was a high school student. On the contrary, I found it pretty interesting. It was even before I was introduced to the Internet with all its disturbing 'wonders'.

fuckin Lynch man

Swiss power activated ("the notebook is pretty cool" said my sister)

The consumer is excessively fucked up

The Fisherman by John Langan is pretty good but it isn't poop your pants scary.

I got House of Leaves in the mail recently. Heard it was real scary and I'm going to start when I finish American pastoral whenever that will be. Is it spooky?

Is that the Gira book? I read the first story where he and his mentally ill sister hole up and fuck in his dirty house. It was very gross and very unsettling

The Maimed by Herrmann Ungar

I've been reading Lovecraft lately. Nothing truly horrifying, but stuff like The Dreams in the Witch House, The Shadow Over Innsmouth (dat escape scene) or The Thing on the Doorstep are truly spooky, especially at 2 am.

The only thing that's given me that rising sense of "oh fuck" is from The Crying of Lot 49
The play

read The Terror by Dan Simmons. it's money as fuck

Browsing around I found a couple of horror book best of lists with some intriguing titles I never heard of before:

>besthorrornovels.com/best-modern-horror-books.html

>besthorrornovels.com/underrated-horror-books.html

Communist Manifesto

>Is it spooky?
I just finished it about a week ago. If you put aside all the detracting gimmicks and such, then yeah, it has spook potential. At the very least, it's definitely unsettling.

Anything by Kant

i read piercing by ryu murakami recently and it made me extremely uncomfortable even though i'm sure i must have read more brutal things, it really got under my skin

try something by Serge Brussolo.

120 Days of Sodom is actually pretty rough when you stay with it but I'm not going to quote it this time because I don't want the quote to get TOO stale. No, I won't tell you what i have in mind.

The Fungus (by one Harry Adam Knight, which is itself apparantly a pen name) is a rad-as-fuck "zombie flick" novel where London etc is taken over by a fungal scourge which blasts out of a lab. Bits of it were and are quite scary (I read part when I was younger) but overall the thing reads like a B-movie, which is the appeal.

Mulholland Drive was such garbage.

EDEN EDEN EDEN

Damn. That's some vivid shit.

Index kind of sucks but I still remember reading Tick for the first time and being completely disgusted and angry. I grew up on /b/ and the garbage that goes with that but this was something else.

Scary stories to tell in the dark.

You'll cowards don't even read horror. Barely any of the recommendations itt are horror.

probably because most horror isn't actually horrifying.

That moment scared the shit out of me so much and when I rewatched it I had no idea WHY

It couldn't reproduced, the utter mortal terror I felt when that face came on screen

I read it in high school too.

The end is by far the most freakish aspect so just as well you quit. It is still one of the most fucked up books I ever read. Horror, or scary though? I didn't think so.

Only Stephen King's short story the Bogeyman ever scared me but I was like eleven or twelve when I read it. And my closet was open a crack at the time.

U're such an imbecile

This shit is absolutely amazing. Almost no adornment in terms of prose yet it hits you like a fucking brick.

Idk about scary but it was one of the most depressing things I've ever read.

Read some horror stories from the Romanticists

learn how to meme you dip

Are u really that stupid

lmao pleb. Close your mouth

W-what was so scary about this? I enjoyed the movie but haven't read the book..

What is this?

Reading this at the moment and I also feel like I could recommend it. I'm only up to the second part of the novel, but I am enjoying the slow Lovecraftian build up along with the atmosphere of the book. It makes me feel isolated and vulnerable whilst reading it, it is just a simple sentence or a word that changes the entire tone of the scene. One example I can think of is when the owner of the old diner is telling the story of Dutchman's creek and the author describes the diner as sealed off from the rest of the world by a wall of water which for me instantly changed the entire mood. It definitely has potential, I hope the rest of the book is not a let down.

not their fault if you are a liberal nu-male

On Jews and Their Plans aka my dairy

Rosemary's Baby maybe? I never read it and it's been years since I saw the movie.

I did recently read pic related, which is nonfiction but worth a read if you're interested in the history of European witch beliefs.

Are you saying milk is a jewish plot?

leaving post so i can find this thread later

Mein 2

Not him but name a book that has filled more people with utter dread

I'm intrigued but I'm finding it difficult to find the text. Amazon has used copies for $80 but fuck that.

I know how you feel. The whole rest of the film I was worried sick wondering if and how he might show up again.

The first half of Dracula.

House of leaves is spoopy

Find a copy of this if you can. It's hilarious and creepy and all kinds of fucked up. Writing is good too.

Not every story is a winner. But the ghoul stories, especially Meryphillia, are worth it.

Rec me a good horror short story I can read in one sitting

>The Outsider, The Cats of Ulthar, Dagon, Pickman's Model, by Lovecraft
>Instructions on Or rather Examples Of How To Be Afraid, The Lines of the Hand, Tale without a Moral, House Taken Over by Cortázar
>Survivor Type, 1922, by King
>Teatro Grottesco, by Ligotti
>The Zahir by Borges
>The Telltale Heart, Berenice, The Black Cat, The Pit and the Pendulum by Poe
>The Monkey's Paw by Jacobs

Thanks

Blood meridian, anyone?
Plus, in terms of being fucked up i recommend American Psycho. I was really grossed out by some of the details he described, while the book was extremly funny in some parts.

Blood Meridian definitely fits the bill.

Horror and comedy also go very well together.

Bump

Keeping alive to take recommendations

>let's name our website after what people type into google

lazy but I bet it gets results

Really any true crime novel. Helter Skelter, The Stranger Beside Me, Stalking Otis Toole

Always one of these.
Always.

Bottom right - Settings - Monitoring - Thread watcher. It keeps track of the thread, even if it gets archived.

It's the feeling of being sure of your present reality, and having that certainty ripped away when a bad thought or revelation of some great importance drags you into hell.

Or:

Depersonalizing is a bitch, the scene.

That said, the randomness of it in the plot and its dreamlike quality blows my mind considering how normal everything in the scene is. Maybe a little too normal? Like it's not clean or 'Hollywood'. I don't know how he does it.

thanks

the spooky spectre of communism haunting europe