Petition to replace the big four (infinite jest, ulysses, gravity's rainbow...

Petition to replace the big four (infinite jest, ulysses, gravity's rainbow, culture of critiqúe) with the big five pic related.

All in favor say I

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Kde-P_jffqk?t=5112
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you can no more replace them like that than you could add culture of critique to them.

this is a patrician board. we cannot have new comers thinking we're plebs for liking wallace and macdonald

kill yourself

The Epic of Gilgamesh isn't even anywhere near as popular on Veeky Forums (or as literary) as any of the other 4 books. It's obviously like a pet interest of yours in this case. As for the other four, they'll never reach the status of the real meme trilogy (there is no "Big Four") because they're much less controversial than Joyce/Pynchon/DFW.

I could part with IJ tbqh. There could also be a pre-modern five that would leave the Big Four in tact.

Stop forcing this meme you fucking mongrel. Kill yourself.

>Iliad and Odyssey counted as one
>no Aeneid
>no Perceval
>Epic of Gilgamesh
needs reworking

Replace Gilgamesh with the Bible

im guessing those are the ones you want to read soon

And who the fuck do you think you are, dude? CofC belongs on there more than you belong on this board.

kill yourself meme forcing edgelord

>o
Culture of Critique was never in there. There is only one sad little twat that's been desperately trying to shoehorn that shit in. It's kinda funny, but still very sad.

>it's only one guy!

this

absolutely not this, shills back to

>wanting to replace Ulysses for Epic of Gilgamesh

no thank you

hang yourself

>I am le patrcian
>I derive my identity from memes

Gilgamesh didn't have any particularly important influence on Western culture, unlike both Virgil and Ovid which you oddly excluded. Might as well have added the Shahnameh. My list would go something like this.

>Iliad, Homer
>Odyssey, Homer
>Aeneid, Virgil
>Metamorphosis, Ovid
>Divine Comedy, Dante
>Orlando Furioso, Ariosto
>Faust, Goethe

kill yourself with a brick

Seeing you losers shitpost daily is fucking disheartening. Just go read something and improve your life instead of defecating all over an imageboard.

>oy vey this post is like anudda shoah

how many (((them))) reaction images do you have? whats the name of your folder? I bet you have a few years worth of content. You might have your pale bony finger quivering with excitement over the next epic jpeg ready to redpill these brainlets eh?

Fixed that for you, OP.

The last three need the bible to understand properly. Why not put the ol' KJV on there?

>Everyone who thinks I'm an idiot is a jew
>The /pol/ guide to "Othering" 99% of humanity

I still don’t even know what culture of critique is, but at this point I am so fucking tired of seeing it shilled that I will probably never read it, and automatically despise any post mentioning it.

It's a work of evolutionary psychology about Jewish academics. I dpn't get how anyone can take it seriously.

not the guy you replied to but I just wanna say that your posts had a similiar effect on me

all the criticism and blind resistance to CoC makes me want to read it even more, and I happen to know several other anons here feel the same way.

Not one mention of Shakespeare in this thread. FUCKING RI-DICK-ULUS

>I must announce not only my hatred for something I refuse to learn about but my intention to ever learn anything more about it
>this is the power of the """"tolerant left"""""
really makes me think.

Putting aside the self-indulgent theatrics of your post, the people who make pithy, over the top posts about it are jewish shills. Those of us who bring it up with honesty and intent to educate and inform do so because we're actually trying to help other white people understand a serious problem plaguing our societies. And we know how difficult an intellectual hurdle it is to get over, no question about it. Nearly everyone who's read it was one as philosemitic as the next guy, but it's still an important subject all whites need to look into if they haven't already. And it's a good book, read it.

>all these fags dissing Gilgamesh

As expected of plebs.

>Culture of Critique
lmao?

>Aeneid still a Roman monkey's well-trained imitation of Homer-as-propaganda, and will never be on the same plane of creative accomplishment
>Other points correct

tbf its more of anthropoligcal than literary value

Not really. It's literary value is actually quite high.

>realising he's gone too far, the CoC poster goes into damage control overdrive

>big four

its the meme trilogy you newfag tourist.

So it is anti-semitic propaganda for pseudo-intelectuals who want to reinforce beliefs that they are not to blame for their irrelevant existence instead of taking responsibility for themselves and work towards something productive (i.e. Not wasting hours shitposting on a japanese image board)

This

Not totally, he's really keen on making it seem like lots of people agree with him. It's not that he hates the jews so much as he wants to feel like he belongs to something important. The alt-right meme has got him all excited, finally he can be a part of something.

No, it's a scholarly book that details the evolutionary reasons for jewish behavior, which I assume means your people's behavior, and thus summons the vitriolic posts people like you and spew out in an attempt to keep others from reading it.

Shakespeare is milton's son, my man.

>No Chaucer
I'm just gonna head out here, friend.

Uhm hes like 60 years younger, not even possible

what literary purpose does gilgamesh serve, besides its obvious historical value? its not particularly well written and I'm not aware of it being very heavily referenced. Perhaps replace it with the bible, as a supplement for those other religious writings

>epic of Gilgamesh
>Paradise Lost
>taking them this seriously
I'm disgusted.

Paradise Lost is great though. Certainly rivals Dante, at least in English form

Frankly the Big Five should be the five best epics.
So Iliad, Odyssey, Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso.

>forcing meemees

the meme trilogy is IJ, gravity's rainbow and Ulysses

>shitting on Gilgamesh
Truly pathetic. Gilgamesh as a character is deeper and more developed than any one from Homer's epics. The poem's verse is stunning even in a fairly literal translation (Andrew George) and its influence is gargantuan. Maybe a modernist didn't write a meme book referencing it but it is nonetheless the cornerstone of western literature that shaped jewish/christian and Greek mythology. You people don't seem to be capable of reading the fucking wikipedia page.

Fuck off with your forced memes.

>You people don't seem to be capable of reading the fucking wikipedia page.
show me a stunningly written passage in verse from the book

>Dante
>Epic
Can this meme end already

I think most people already do. Certainly no one chooses Wallace over any of your five.

The god Errakal was uprooting the mooring-poles,
Ninutra, passing by, made the weirs overflow.
The Anunnaki gods carried torches of fire,
scorching the country with brilliant flashes.
The stillness of the Storm God passed over the sky,
and all that was bright then turned into darkness.

>When he had gone one league the darkness became thick around him, for there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. After two leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. After three leagues the darkness was thick, and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. After four leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. At the end of five leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. At the end of six leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. When he had gone seven leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. When he had gene eight leagues Gilgamesh gave a great cry, for the darkness was thick and he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. After nine leagues he felt the north-wind on his face, but the darkness was thick and there was no light, he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. After ten leagues the end was near: After eleven leagues the dawn light appeared. At the end of twelve leagues the sun streamed out.

I

goethe that dude

Fuck you people. Culture of Critique. Fuck you, this is a literature board. The meme trilogy is fiction. Fuck you.

youtu.be/Kde-P_jffqk?t=5112

Name 1 (one) important piece of literature influenced by the Epic of Gilgamesh

Oh boy

And why should not my cheeks be starved
and my face drawn?
Despair is in my heart
and my face is the face of one who has made a long journey,
it was burned with heat and with cold.
Why should I not wander over the pastures
in search of the wind?
My friend,
My younger brother,
he who hunted the wild ass of the wilderness and the panther of the plains,
my friend,
my younger brother
who seized and killed the Bull of Heaven
and overthrew Humbaba in the cedar forest,
my friend
who was very dear to me
and who endured dangers beside me,
Enkidu my brother
whom I loved,
the end of mortality has overtaken him.
I wept for him seven days and nights
till the worm fastened on him.
Because of my brother I am afraid of death,
because of my brother I stray through the wilderness
and cannot rest.
But now
young woman, maker of wine,
since I have seen your face
do not let me see the face of death
which I dread so much.

>You people don't seem to be capable of reading the fucking wikipedia page.

I am not impressed

iliad/odyssey and the bible

how is the bible influenced by gilgamesh
>inb4 the flood narrative

idk i haven't read either of them but i'm sure i'm right

The Epic of Gilgamesh is so, so far beneath the other four it's absurd. Replace it with almost any other canonical text and you'll be major.

>question
>inb4 answer

>Veeky Forums in a nutshell

you can't prove it wasn't vice versa

why do you people care so much about which books represent lit's taste?

>big four
>culture of critiqúe
this antisemitic screed is not going to stick as a meme, take your ignorance and hate back to pol

How are the Iliad and the Odissey influenced by Gilgamesh tho

>FAGles

So do you think his translation is bad?
I have the Fagles version for Iliad & Aeneid, but a Stephen Mitchell translation for the Odyssey
> Don't ask me why, because that's just what ended up happening

I'm not familiar on which translations are better than others

why are you giving a serious response to that shitpost
fagles is fine, thats why its the best selling edition

Like I said. I don't know the top guys in the business of translating classical texts

>the big four
That was never a thing you lying sack of shit. There was only ever the meme trilogy consisting of IJ, Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow. And this "big 5" looks like crap. The Epic of Gilgamesh, The Iliad & The Odyssey is shit people should read at the beginning of their literary journey.

why should gilgamesh be read at the start of the "literary journey"

Because it's old n shit and clearly has influence on other texts. Eg. Muh Flood story.

what influence?
you cant prove it influenced the flood story as opposed to vice versa

No shit Sherlock. You're a smart child aren't you *pats head*. If the whole "influence" thang doesn't make you interested n shit then because it old n shit. And if that doesn't satisdyf yuo theen fuck of. Yur lose.

>fagles is fine, thats why its the best selling edition
THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. IT IS A HIGHSCHOOL TRANSLATION IN CONTOMPERARY "VERSE" THAT READS LIKE PROSE. HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON Veeky Forums AND CAN'T IMMEDIATELY SEE HOW BAD IT IS COMAPRED TO FITZGERALD,POPE,LATTIMORE,CHAPMAN. YOU HAVE HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TRANSLATION AND YOU PICK A SHITTY 90s AMERICAN VERSION FFS

>I'm not familiar on which translations are better than others
HHMMMM OH MY WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?MAYBE FIVE MINUTES OF RESEARCH ON A 2,700 YEAR OLD TEXT THAT HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT IN THE WESTERN CANON I CAN'T BELIEVE I SHARE A BOARD WITH YOU PEOPLE

FUCK I just got deja vu from your post
>critical reception and sales aren't a good thing
Lattimore is shit and only lauded for muh accuracy. Pope is probably better than Fagles though but hard to find

wow you're an autist
>historical relevant =/= literary merit
I get a strong feeling you've read none of those books
>influence on other texts
>can only name one dubious influence

fucked up how ignorant Veeky Forums is of gilgamesh's influences. i remember reading it a few years ago and literally everything in it has become a cliche.

you know that part in your favorite movie/book where the protagonist hypes up a fight with someone who is seemingly an antagonist but they both put up a good enough fight they gain newfound respect for each other and become bros? gilgamesh started it. it's also the first ever appearance of zombies in text

>Pope is probably better than Fagles
>Probably
The state of this board
>but hard to find
What's the internet
Just buy Fitzgerald, Lattimore isn't great, said to be accurate yet botches the opening stanza and makes the rest terse, still much better than Fagles.
I and many others read Pope and Latimore/Fitz side by side because we aren't fucking idiots who just wander into great works

The best translation of Faust is David Luke

>gilgamesh started it.
You think that might be because it's the oldest story,how could it not do things first when it literally does everything first

What are you preferred Greek, Russian and Latin translations so I can trust you

those aren't really explicit references, the way Homer and Aeneas works are explicitly references
also, one could argue that Gilgamesh didn't use those devices particularly well, but thats subjective.

none of those come close to CoC

>has to argue with a drunkard on a Mongolian basket weaving forum with a drunkard
>creates decent arguements while providing no evidence n shit himself n shit u no wat im saying
You're a fag hahahahahaha

>Shoves embarrassingly stupid fringe conspiracy theories into every discussion
>"why do people hate /pol/"

>reading translations/transliterations
Sincerely kill yourself.

I'll just give you a source: Encyclopedia of Literary Translation into English vol. 1, pg. 545. "David Luke's translation ... is superior to all others in terms of melody and intelligibility..." There's more of course but I'm not going to type it out. You should be able to check it on Google Books.

bad point. direct influence is irrelevant. if C was influenced by B, and unbeknownst to C, B was influenced by A then C was influenced by A

what you're saying is "well what if B wasn't influenced by A and came up with it by himself?" i can easily say the same about C