Tfw not even close to finishing my novel

>tfw not even close to finishing my novel
>been 6 months with barely two chapters written

Is there even hope?

It can be a short story!

No. You suck at writing. Stop letting your emotions dictate your actions.

Just find the right environment and time in the day/week to write and knuckle down.

Not if you don't start outlining/writing.

>not writing everyday even if it's shit
>not having multiple 50k word first drafts waiting to be edited
>not writing multiple works in parallel

The actual hard part is polishing the turds afterwards and getting something actually good.

i dont think writing is for you
if you really wanted to write you would be writing everyday, even if its bad

>you can't take one day off writing ever

That's pretty bad. I did an outline and two chapters in about a month between classes and exams. Why do you want to write a book? If you're writing a book for the sake of writing a book, you probably won't be all too motivated when you actually sit down to write.

No, give up. Your book sucks

Nigger what are you doing with your time?

T. written three chapters in two months

I'm 3 going on 4 YEARS into a novel.

It'll be ready when it's worth reading.

>tfw almost finished with my novel but now stuck at small details like chapter names and numbering for two weeks

You have to get it out of you, even though it will suck. It’s much easier to improve through writing more and more drafts than trying to perfect it in your head before you put pen to paper.

nigga, i write a chapter a day. you ain't no writer, baby boy. how the fuck hard is it to write 2-3k words in a day? not very. let me guess you one of those niggas who freaked out when you had a 200 word essay due tomorrow and yet you call yourself an author. huh huh nah. move on

Give me a summary

>uses nigger speak

Yeah I'm sure your writing is some real high quality stuff.

what's your secret? what do you write about?
do you write on one project or multiple?

>tfw you have to pick between learning guitar and writing more seriously

And if his chapters are good and yours are not?

I don't know. Is there even hope?

Can't wait to read your coming-of-age story featuring a down on his luck black kid who wants to escape the hood.

do both

If you guys haven't read Stephen King's On Writing (trust me, it's good), do it. Ignore his suggestion about writing 2k words a day. Aim for something more reasonable. Don't rush it. I try for 300 a day. That's a little over a page.

But the most important advice he gives is that you should write EVERY day. Sure, life happens and sometimes you can't, but it's about discipline.

Damn bro...you mean you got to learn two things, that take maybe a few hours a day each to learn effectively?

What's a nigga to do?

How long do you guys spend planning your story, if at all?

Right now, I'm laying out the infrastructure for at least four different narratives. At the turn of the next year, I'm going to pick the one that has the most potential and spend the rest of the year fleshing it out.

Maybe I'm not as good à writer as the rest of you, but I have always found it interesting how some of you can just write without guidance. How the fuck do you guys do it?

How many texts can you write simultaniously?

I always read 5-10 books simultaniously, so maybe this technique also helps for writing.

Where do you get your inspiration for your stories and the character? I struggle to even think of one story with at least one interesting character.

Do you ever get confused because of all the different stories you are writing at same time? If so, how do you focus? Just by focussing on one story for a week for example? What does your writing schedule look like?

It's hard when you work full time and have other interests (programming, learning foreign languages, reading). The physical aspect of learning a musical instrument take it's toll on you too.

>be me
>being a student in a top german university
>being a student in not that top foreing university at the same time, both bachelor's degree
>having to work 3 days a week so don't starve to death
>still hitting the gym and gettin massive
>writing the novel i always told myself ''i don't have the time to do''
>when not that tired i actually work on the planning of a new business idea

It's all about the power inside you and what makes and what motivates you.
Apperantly i have complexes and want to proove them all who i am really and what i am capable of doing.

What? Where does this weird idea come from that you need to write prodigiously and quickly to be a great writer? Some can write well quickly, but other works benefit a lot from being written slowly. Goethe's Faust was written over a span of 20 years, whereas Philip K. Dick was writing some of his most acclaimed sci-fi novels at a rate of 2 or 3 per year for years in a row. However, while you may appreciate both, most would say Faust is probably above PKD's work in literary merit. Sometimes writing slowly is good for certain types of work, sometimes writing quickly, if you're inspired enough, can also make good work. But, just as equally, sometimes writers can write a lot and very quickly with uneven output. Updike, for instance, claimed that after a certain point in his career he stopped revising his works as carefully and just decided to write what was on his head. His work thus suffers from the same unevenness (and bursts of inspiration) as, for instance, Kerouac, who wrote similarly. Goethe's Faust, on the other hand, is more even, polished, and of consistently sparkling quality.

Even though it's a meme on Veeky Forums, Gass's The Tunnel was also obsessively written and rewritten and polished over 26 fucking years. While some hate it and it can be painful at times to read, I have to admit that the 26 years of work on it show while reading it, and that it's probably one of the most impressive English prose works ever. Not spontaneous, perhaps overdone, but impressive.

There are different effects to be reached by writing quickly and a lot, or slowly and effortfully. Quicker writing can be good if you're already a genius, since it can spontaneously give bursts of emotional and passionate writing that you can't really labor over intensely, but, if you're a shitty writer, it could just be a lot of shit. If you slow down, it's probably easier to create something polished and perfect.

You're wasting your time George. Serious readers don't read your series anymore.

>Zizek
I wonder if that was deliberate? He has been known to moisten panties

shit... it's like... life is made of choices...