Should I major in English? Don't know what to do with my life

Should I major in English? Don't know what to do with my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

mynextmove.org/explore/ip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Major in English if you want to flip burgers for the rest of your life

mynextmove.org/explore/ip

People who don't know what they want to do with their life usually major in business.

What's a humanities related field that is real
Is there only Law?

Economics, poly sci, communications and public policy come to mind.

get into a trade, read and write on your time off. relatively high-paying, and the people you work with will teach you more about yourself than the liberal-art types (trades people will tell you if you fucked up straight to your face, university people live in lala land)

you're not meant to know what you want in life at a young age. the ones that do know what they want are signing themselves up to a pretty narrow existence. that's just from my experience. peace

Heed this man's words. White collar shit is for people who are dead inside. The trades is where it's at.

>none of the options are appealing

What do i do now?

take the NEETpill

What if I major in English in a non-Anglophone nation?

That's a reasonable advice, at least take it into account OP. Graduated in philosophy, then had to change my major because I found something else interesting to do. Most of the time balance and high salary matter more than "passion" because most people simply don't really have any passion and that's ok. The definition of someone who has a passion is that he will follow it anyway, You should be active in the process of looking for something that you are sensible to but don't push it if at some point it doesn't come naturally. Philosophy was good but it was in France, it looks nothing like liberal art univ in USA, also it wasn't really a good experience, because an important part of the philosophers look down upon too many things they tend to have narrow views outside of their range of expertise.

What are you into, OP? My advice: don't major in English without some sort of career goal in mind. Or, if you really want to and aren't sure, supplement it with some other field or knowledge or set of skills (such as programming). If you can take skills from an English major into another field, you'll tend to be much better off than just having the skills.

I would if i could user

>Should I major in English?

Christ no, do a STEM subject, and become an autodidact in english

how does a person become an autodidact in english? what would that even look like?

You'll be unemployed like me

I wouldn't advice people who aren't good in STEM to do STEM. I agree that a major in English is a waste of time but there's other options.

In most of the countries flipping burgers can afford a sustainable life.

Does it matter whether you flip burgers if you have enough for eating, sleeping and reading?

Follow your bliss.

I'm like you except I know it's probably for the best if I don't follow my "passion". Since that has a very slim chance of paying for me to live. But I also don't want to trap myself in some existence where I'm doing something I can't bear. Thinking of doing STEM but I don't know.

I think the problem is more that flipping burgers your whole life is going to be degrading and exhausting than whether there's enough money in it.