Literary confession thread

literary confession thread

I can’t read

I'm actually a neet dropout who's often too lazy to read

I rate Stephen King.

I only come here to talk about Jews. I don't read

i read slowly and i put off reading for a week after i finish a book. i find reading very draining and i get sleepy. I struggle to enjoy the well loved classics.

I only come here to bitch about /pol/

I don't read

I like reading cut and paste Dragon fantasy novels.

I LOVE BORGES

SERVO OBLIGE

I wish to read more. I have trouble keeping a straight path, a straight stream of thoughts. It's almost metaphysical diction of my existence. I want to learn more of psychology, philosophy, history, mathematics, physics. I want to write. I play multiple musical instruments and I want to get better at them. I'm obsessed with my job in automobile industry, I spend days thinking about improving the machines and processes we use. Sometimes I get things done and my superios notice, I'm slowly moving up and I think that's the only thing that keeps me from offing myself. I wish to read more. I love learning. All that and I spend most of my time browsing Veeky Forums and playing computer games that I hate. It's getting worse. I've been read Freud's Interpretation of Dreams for more than four weeks and can't finish it. Oh, I wish I was better. I try and fail -

>9, count them, 9 FUCKING SENTENCES STARTING WITH I
please, user

I gave up on Ulysses.

I finally got fully addicted to opiates and it's become hard to read and remember nonfic passages this might be the catalyst

I haven't read in years. I pretend that I have and just shit post on lit

I own over a dozen books and I've read none. I only read borrowed books.

The vast majority of philosophy before Kant besides some of the big name is worthless drivel

I only read politics to dominate my interlocutors during debates (especially when I know their theory better than them).

>The vast majority of philosophy is worthless drivel

fify

I burned a copy of Joyce's The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for kindling once. I also had a copy of Robopocalypse with me but spared it.

Tried googling this and could find anything on it. I've never read the term cut and paste novel before. Could anyone elaborate?

I think it just means that they are all generic and similar, so much so as to be "cut, copied, and pasted".

Not him but how would you restructure it? I have a “””journal””” and get tired of writing in it because I start most of my sentences with I.

I have a bad habit of having several false starts on large novels before getting through them.

I think there should be a fanfiction general on Veeky Forums

I only read books in some vain hope that one will change my life for the better.

None thus far

I read the odyeseey like it was a children’s book

I actually read Infinite Jest

1) I read everything I really want to understand out loud, sometimes I read to my friends over skype/discord

2) I re-read books I like a lot many, many times

3) I keep a box under my bed filled with books that have some graphic and violent male/male rape scenes and masturbate to them, the books in this box as a rule are garbage, as I have several books on my normal shelf that have male/male rape in them but those are actually good books

4) fucking hate e-readers

Show, don't tell. For instance, instead of "I want to kiss Amy," write "Amy's lips revealed softness and seemed welcoming." For more action-oriented sentences, there's really no way around it. Just switch between active and passive voice when you can.

my social circle irl is generic liberal idpol sycophants, and I discuss lit from this perspective while I'm with them because otherwise I wouldn't have anyone to talk books with. is pretending to be a liberal for conformity's sake worse than being a liberal?

>1) I read everything I really want to understand out loud, sometimes I read to my friends over skype/discord
That's actually really cute

I don't have any real confessions or something like that. Maybe me being a brainlet who can't remember shit counts

I just came to lit and read slaughterhouse V. It was really fucking boring. Then I read blood music because it was recommended on the wiki and it was really good

Only read what you want to read, most important rule there is. People here will try to meme you into reading IJ and Finnegan's Wake

i read a lot, but i'm too fucking stupid to understand or retain most of what i read.

I know that feel bro.

That sounds nice and all, but it's also very unambitious to give up because you don't like it. It's not a long book anyways. I'm not gonna read infinite jest though, I can see that one from a mile away...

t. Nietzsche

Holy shit i have this mentility too. Some books really hit a sweet spot but the magic vanishes after a while, even if I reread them.

If in a book there's a passage or whatever I really liked I'll reread it and recite it aloud in as theatrical a way that I can muster. Putting on different accents and shit for characters. Hopefully the apartments next door can't hear me, but then again they probably think I'm a weirdo anyway so yolo

I unironically believe all fiction is real.

explain

I was too mentally tired from a combination of work, romantic and familial failures so I stopped reading philosophy and got back to fiction.

Give me the names of some of the books in your boxes

I buy books exclusively based on Veeky Forums recommendations.

I sincerely can't grasp why people read stuff they agree with. I mostly read books and authors who challenge my views. Anytime I hear an author making a claim that angers me or shocks me, I have to read what they wrote. I go into libraries and look for litterature or philosophy that I reaaaally wouldn't want to touch, but still pick up the book and spend a few hours struggling with its content. Strong emotional reaction is the greatest indicator that something will be worth reading.

read Emotionally Weird.
Please. I'm getting kind of sad and I want to know I influenced something another person did.

I haven't been able to sit down and just read a book in several years.
I don't really know how to explain it... It's like my head is "cloudy" and I can't make sense of the words after a while.

Sounds like how ADHD feels like for me desu

>Please.
Well if you promise me this book is not an absolute meme, I'll give it a shot. It's on amazon for one cent.

Good post, I'll remember that next time I go to the library

I feel like this board is split between classicists and pomo

Thanks.
I don't think it's a meme.

If you do buy it, thank you very much. You made a stupid shithead very happy.

BTW are you the drunk guy from the other thread?

Kiss it Away
Male on Male Rape: The Hidden Toll of Stigma and Shame
Danegeld
On Being Raped
Nemesis

that's just some of them

Yeah. Nobody's answering, so now I'm getting morose.

The quality of this board is proportional to how much people are talking about infinite jest.

Chuckled. Nice false flag

*antiproportional
sorry, autocorrect

Cut out things in your life that require a short attention span. Stop browsing the internet aimlessly - delete apps off your phone that you use.

I can read for hours comfortably as long as my brain is operating at the right speed or in the right gear. Being on the internet wrecks your attention span.

Current state of lit

depends on what you mean by liberal

I just bought Emotionally Wierd, if that makes you a bit happier again. Also gave me a reason to order some other books I had on my list for a long time, but hesitated because of my backlog.

What fiction works have you enjoyed lately?

You're a good guy user. Thanks a lot, and I'm glad I helped a little bit.
I honestly hope you enjoy it.

Thomas Mann books, also reading Thucydides.

The only ones that have made a lasting impression on my have been Bolaño, since then I've been searching for anything close to him (mainly Latin American lit) but nothing comes close

liberalism in the classical sense encompassing both the republican and democratic american political parties

assuming you've tried Borges, lispector, Neruda, Pessoa (not SA though), etc?

Where do you rank 11.22.63? I'm interested given current events, but normally struggle with King.

I’m a slow reader, and so usually I only read something like 10-15 full-length books a month.

a book every 2-3 days is slow reading

Despite finding it quite important, I think 'The Art of War' is boring as fuck.

Yup loved Borges, Lispector sort of underwhelmed me but I've only read her short stories, Neruda not so much and Pessoa threw me into a depression, because while I loved the melancholy, it was a sort of peripheral life that unnerved me.

> I only read something like 10-15 full-length books a month.

How will your brain retain all that. Are one of those who read just for the sake of reading? Why do you even read?

I only read prose

I only browse Veeky Forums because I'm searching in vain for inspiration to write something.

user no

Im more invested in looking like someone who enjoys literature and the arts in general than in actually enjoying it. I rather talk about books and poets than reading them

Jean Genet?

i found finnegans wake to be absolutely hilarious and beautiful, and had no trouble with it. now tristram fucking shandy, on the other hand...

i've read tens of thousands of books and don't know the names of any of the authors or works.

>can only recognize the feel of the book after 2-3 pages in
>can't recall a single quote from any of them, yet somehowi fully comprehend the relationships, conflicts, and concepts
>syncretise various aspects and concepts into my own writing

and as a kicker, i didn't into formal education or homeschooling.

>feels like having the entirety of tvtropes lodged in my brain

i wanna listen to you reading on skype :3

mind sharing the books that you keep on the box??

i just read what i want

I wish stormfaggots were deported on an Island so they could try to build their white utopia. I'm not joking, I'm genuinely sad that these people will never amount to anything in life and they will spend their entire existence loathing everything and everyone.

You're unsuccessful.

My ability to express my writing skill is a tad sharper on the computer than it is with a writing utensil on paper. I have a feeling it's because of the speed, but it's also because I use the computer too much.

I recall that Nietzsche's writing style changed, subtly, when he became proficient with the typewriter

I can imagine a future where handwriting is considered primitive. In the far future we probably won't even have to type, but it'll instead be an interface between the brain and the computer.

I confess that the first novel I ever read in grade school just for the hell of it was "Freckles," and I liked it. Please don't bully. Thanks. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Reminder that women have lust towards writers and writers are plebeian enough to succumb to it.

I used to read all the time, but now I read strictly non fiction audiobooks. I think I like other people thinking for me, and I pick and choose the opinions most appealing

I’m a pseud.

Marcel Proust has to be most boring writer I have ever read.

Nabokov can write a sentence like no other but cannot seem to shut the fuck up once he does.

Dostoyevski is more fun to discuss than to read.

Same with Umberto Eco.

Samuel Beckett kicks Joyce's ass as far as themes and language.

I would rather powerdrill my dick than read Milan Kundera ever again.

Julio Cortazar is for teenagers.

The only worthwhile beat is Burroughs.

The entire romantic period is steaming cow dung.

I feel compelled to get multiple books each time I go to the library, but I only read 1/5th of most, finishing 30% of them, the rest sit there on my desk for two weeks. I always say that I enjoyed them if asked on returning.

I love buying books but I never read any and just putem them in my shelf

How do I stop this? ,_,

when I know a book is supposed to be good I can't start it. It took me about 10 years to get around to reading Moby Dick (which I loved and had good reason to think I would love) and the vast majority of the worthwhile books I've read were read before I knew they were respected.

i read less than 10 books in my entire life i come here to shitpost

I read a lot of self-help and business books because I feel like I'm wasting time reading stuff for 'pleasure', although every book I read for pleasure takes half the time of the others.

this desu

also this desu

underrated as fuck