The Trial

>worst

The Castle

>overrated

The Judgment

>underrated

Amerika

his short stories were his best

Agree that the Castle is his worst. It has some really great moments but overall could have been condensed immensely.

This. Specially his shorter, more aphoristic ones are great.
The Silence of the Sirens and The Truth about Sancho Panza are my favourites by him.

>best
Pan/Growth of the Soil

>worst
Wanderer trilogy

>overrated
Hunger

>underrated
Victoria

>best

Distant Star

>worst

Everything published posthumously (except for 2666 and The Insufferable Gaucho; The Woes of the True Policeman is decent but just a draft of other works).

>overrated

The Savage Detectives

>underrated

The Skating Rink

>>overrated
>Hunger
meet me at st. olavs plass and fite me irl faggot

Go easy on The Castle, he literally didn't finish it and it's still better than 90% of books ever written

He didn't finish The Trial.
He didn't finish Amerika.

They are both on the list.

What's your point, fella?

>better than 90% of books ever written
You're setting a pretty low bar there desu

Well I already read The Trial. I guess I have no reason to read anymore of his books.

>victoria
>underrated

It's on every high school curriculum in Norway, and Hunger is way better.

Dosto:
>best
C&P
>worst
Maybe poor folk
>overrated
Karamazov(still a great novel)
>underrated
The double

Is there someplace I can find the Wayfarer trilogy in English? I really liked Growth of the Soil and want to read his later stuff, bad or not.

>best

The Gay Science

>Worst

Will to Power

>Overrated

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

>Underrated

Twilight of the Idols

>underrated
>The double
My fine feathered negro

Someone do Tolstoi pls

>Wanderer trilogy

I was going to fite you for this (and not putting Mysteries in the best category), but realized you're not entirely wrong. I still think some of his really depressed work is his worst, the most striking example being The Last Chapter. That is not to say that it is bad, far from it. It's pretty damn good. It's just not what he does best.

There's a distinction to be made here. Hamsun wrote both a wanderer trilogy, which is semi-autobiographical and fairly melancholic. It consists of Under the Autumn Star, A Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings, and The Last Joy. Those are from his middle period, i.e. after the youth works of the 1890's (his best, I think) and before his mature period beginning with Growth of the Soil (1917).

The Wayfarer trilogy (also known as the August trilogy) on the other hand is fictional and from his late period (1927-1933), and consists of Wayfarers, August and The Road Leads On. Despite being from the mature period where Hamsun was more and more disillusioned and cynical about modernity, the trilogy channels the very best of him, and is quite comical and warmhearted in spite of the world-weariness you can discern under the surface.

I think they're all translated into english with the tiltles I've posted here.

>Best
Old Man and the Sea

>Worst
Farewell to Arms

>Overrated
For Whom the Bell Tolls

>Underrated
The Sun Also Rises

>Best
Libra
>Worst
Cosmopolis
>Underrated
The Names

forgot pic

The Castle is the best you ass

>overrated
augustus
>underrated
butchers crossing
>best
stoner

just finished reading the big 3, all i would recommend

Lol no

>best
White Noise
>worst
Americana
>underrated
Cosmopolis

I never understood what people see in Mysteries. Don't get me wrong, it was a great read (like everything that Hamsun wrote) but it kinda pales in comparison to the rest of his oeuvre.
>Pan has better prose.
>Hunger has better character exploration.
>Growth of the Soil touches on costumbrism better.
>Victoria has a better love story.

Did I miss the point? Help me see the light.

>Best
Winter of our Discontent
>Worst
The Pearl
>Overrated
Grapes of Wrath
>Underrated
Travels with Charlie

>best
Pale Fire

>worst
Bend Sinister

>Overrated
Pnin

>Underrated
Invitation to a Beheading

i agree. the castle is very cozy and true to life.

While I'll agree with the point about Pan (honestly the best lyrical prose I've ever read), I disagree with Hunger having better character exploration. Nagel is such a massive enigma - seemingly both completely transparent and totally opaque at the same time. I think the fact that he embeds more into society than the protagonist of Hunger does really allows him to shine. They share the same madness of modernity, but I think Nagel is the more unforgettable character.

That said, I do find it hard to pick and choose between his early novels, I think they're pretty much all among the GOAT.

white noise is the pleb pick

Read Mary? That's his worst. Way underrated's The Gift, overrated's Ada, which reads as unintended self-parody. Dead-on with his best, and a respectable list nonetheless.

I haven't read Mary or King, Queen, Knave. And I should have put Ada for Overrated. Still don't really think Pnin deserves the status it seems to have.

Yeah, I agree in part. I think that in Hunger you explore the character in his own head: through his own actions and soliloques, whereas in Mysteries you are watching him through the eyes of others: What other people think of him, and how are they going to percieve his actions and motives is always more important than the actual action or soliloque.
I prefer Hunger in the end but I can see how it can be a matter of taste.

If you liked Pan's prose, I'd recommend you To the Lighthouse. Dunno if you've already read it, but it has a very interesting prose style in the first half, whereas the second is full of lyrical passages about the passing of seasons and the nature that surround the house.

Agreed.

I'll do Tolstoy shorts-
>best
Cossacks
>overrated
Kreuzer
>underrated
Family Happiness
>worst
Aloyosha the Pot (least memorable)

Pnin's a *sweet* novel (for a mean novel) and does conclude pathetically, but youre right. Perhaps a little maudlin.

My bad i thought you were a fellow anglo who misremembered the title of Wayfarers

>best
The Fall or The First Man
>worst
The Rebel
>overrated
The Stranger
>underrated
Exile and the Kingdom

no way

>overrated
stoner

>underrated
butchers crossing

>best
augustus

>best
Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship
>worst
Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years
>overrated
Faust
>underrated
Elective Affinities

>Best

Old Man and the Sea

>Worst

The Sun also Rises

>Overrated

Farewell to Arms

>Underrated

Island in the Stream

Someone do Plato

>tfw highly educated but honestly can't do this because haven't read enough books by any single author

His posthumous poetry collection The Unknown University is great btw

>best

The Aphorismis, his Diaries, The Hunger Artist, The Trial

>the sadly unfinished

Amerika

>overrated

nothing

>underrated

Diaries and Aphorisms

>best

Infinite Jest, non-fiction

>worst

Brom of the System, Pale King

>overrated

Hideous Men

>underrated

Infinite Jest

Too difficult because his works have so many different audiences. Grad students might be interested in something like the Phaedo while casual readers might prefer individual parts of the Repbulic or the Apology etc.

you're missing his first.

i'd say EA is his worst desu

>Best

Trilogy (if that doesn't count then Molloy)

>Worst

Krapp's Last Tape

>Overrated

Waiting For Godot

>Underrated

Murphy

Pretty spot on, my darkies.

Different user. Right, it's a tale. Probably shouldn't figure at all. I'd go Dichtung und Wahrheit greatest, Lehrjahr underrated. The first user did a pretty good job, however, given that this is almost entirely a subjective venture.

>Best
Blood Meridian

>Overrated
The Road

Underrated
All the Pretty Horses

Worst
No Country for Old Men

>Best
Benito Cereno

>Worst
Pierre

>Underrated
The Confidence Man

>Overrated
Typee

Did you forget Endgame because you're a mongoloid or because you haven't read it yet?

Agree about Skating Rink, but the original short story is better than Distant Star, and some of his posthumous stuff, while not his best arent bad. I have not read Third Reich though. would you call that one bad?

I liked Cosmopolis, but it wasnt as great as the rest. Even Americana was better.

That's a rare DFW, mind if I use it?

I agree that Broom is bad, but it was probably not as bad as Everything and More. And kind of unfair to call a unfinished posthumous book his worst.

I do not think Infinite Jest is underrated. In my opinion Oblivion is underrated.

Literally how can you not like The Castle. It was such a joy to read.

Save it, it's all yours my friend!

Come on now. I really liked it, but there were extremely tedious parts, such as K.'s conversation with the Barnabas' Sister about their family's history
And it ends mid-sentence

Can someone do Dostoyevsky? Just finished reading crime and punishment and the ending honestly made me start believing in god

Wasn't tedious to me. His portrayal of the characters and his dialogue was entertaining to me, as it is in all of his stuff. The Castle is one of my favourite Kafka things.

I'm not him, but I really enjoyed The Third Reich. And I don't know if you care about this, but the plot is minimal

dpnt mind. So it's more philosophical/character driven? I just like the fact that it has to do with board games and Bolaño's love for them.

>best

Dubliners, A portrait of the artist as a young man, Ulysses, Finnegans wake

>worst

>overrated

>underrated

accurate

I disagree

I actually think Dubliners is his best. But I have no idea why Dubliners is so highly rated. in comparison, Dubliners his most underrated work is so overlooked.

I forgot The Third Reich was a posthumous work.

I was talking about books like The Secret of Evil and the most recents El espíritu de la ciencia-ficción and Sepulcros de vaqueros.

>10207053
>Faust
>overrated
Can one be more pseud ?

Best the odyssey

Worst the iliad

Correct. I can't stand Kafka for more than 20-30 pages.

That's not "correct," that's just your own little problem to deal with.

>best
Glass bead game
>worst
Beneath the Wheel
>underrated
Narcissus and Goldmund
>overrated
Siddhartha

Cool thread, doing Roth

>best
American Pastoral

>worst
Great American Novel

>overrated
Portnoy

>underrated
Sabbath's Theatre

>Best
Anna Karenina

>Worst
Ivan Iliyich

>Underrated
Cossacks

>Overrated
War & Peace

read Murphy and kinda hated it. should i try trilogy?

Why didn't you like the Kreutzer Sonata? I really liked it myself

Hajdi Murat is his best

Chekhov's longer works:

>best
Three Years
>worst
The story of an unknown man
>overrated
All of his plays
>underrated
The Steppe

Most underrated's The Crossing by far. Arguably his best *novel*.

yeah, it's a psychological thriller. it has that thing that bolaño does very well in his prose that even when nothing is really happening plotwise, the mood is eerie and unsettling

I did like it, all of his shorter fictional works are great. That's why I parenthetically described his 'worst' as least memorable. Master and Man, Father Sergius, and Hadji Murad will be the finest for many anons, no question. He's like Hoffmann in this regard, not one bad story, novella, or tale.

>best
Molloy

>worst
various shorter dramatic works

>overrated
Godot

>underrated
How It Is

seconded

>best
Pafko at the Wall

>worst
Players

>underrated
End Zone

>best
J R

>worst
A Frolic of His Own

>overrated
The Recognitions

>underrated
Agape Agape

all contrarians will have to tell me what book Gibbs was reading in the bathroom in the closing pages of the book in addition to supplying a new ranking

The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch
>best
The Recognitions
>worst
Agape Agape
>overrated
Agape Agape
>underrated
JR

All his stories are fucking short stories

>best
VALIS
>worst
The Unteleported Man
>overrated
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>underrated
Ubik

had to read All the Pretty Horses way back in school so I doubt it's really that underrated but I agree with BM as his best and DEFINITELY with The Road as his most overrated.

Best is Investigations of a Dog. Shit is fuckin dense.

the audacity of that nigger, to wear a tie, writing what he did. He deserved golden laurels and a toga

this

After writing Murphy he realized he would never be Joyce and completely changed his writing style

>worst
>Ivan Ilych
Trash opinion

Short stories

>best
The Great Wall of China

>worst
Investigations of a dog

>overrated
In the penal colony

>underrated
A fratricide