That was one hell of a game. Any recommendations on baseball lit? Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, whatever

That was one hell of a game. Any recommendations on baseball lit? Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

sbnation.com/a/17776-football
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

underworld by delillo, first forty-something pages

The first chapter of Delillo’s Underworld.

Was only game 5. Houston seems too cocky.

1 more to win it all, and unimaginable relief, your observation of 'too cocky' was the happy celebration? That happens on any walk off hit during the season, so it makes sense it would occur in the world series, an extremely important game of the world series, after one of the technically literally most epic baseball games in world series history that broke all sorts of records included the length of time.

Game was good, thought my Dodgers were done in the ninth but they came back. Too bad just to lose anyway. Game six should be good as well.

This has been one of the best world series in a long time. What an incredible game.

Absolutely, but still many spots to nit pick and monday morning quarterback, argue about decisions made (in a few of the games, close ones) which I think doesn't take away anything of the greatness, just if you are a dodgers fan, I think they could have had some greater advantages

When I was a kid I read Roy Campanella's It's Good to be Alive on the rec of my dad. Loved it.

yeah but houston has verlander next game so i'd call it here

The Crazy Horse Electric

Wow, holy shit. Didn't know this was a thing. Will definitely check out.

Happy reading. You don't find better essays on baseball, except maybe for some of Jacques Barzun's writings (before he became disgusted with it).

Forgot about Ring Lardner and Philip Roth’s The Great American Novel.

I meant in the 7th when they broke the tie with 4 runs then LA came back big. Early celebrations irritate me. I’m rooting for Houston though.

The Boys of Summer

here's a football story
sbnation.com/a/17776-football

I remember reading this book called High Heat as a teenager and enjoying it. It's about a rich high school baseball star whose father gets convicted as a criminal and he loses everything but sports. He purposely throws a bad ball and disables his rival whom he was jealous of.

I think its kind of shit because all the offense isn't really genuine or authentic. The MLB is using different balls for the playoffs and it's fucking over pitchers. Nobody can throw a slider.

The most annoying thing about it is that I'm an Indians fan, and the Indians are built around their pitching and those pitchers rely heavily on their sliders. I can't help but think they got fucked over. Nobody has hit on Klubor all year and suddenly in playoffs he can't make it out of the first inning? It's suspect as fuck.

>my Dodgers
>my

The teams don't exist without their fans.

So? That doesn't make it your team. You're not the owner and you nothing to do with it. All you do is watch it.

It does make it your team though. I've never understood why this bothers people like you. Without the time fans spend watching the team, and without the money they spend on tickets and merchandise, there is no team.

You buy a ticket and watch a game. How exactly does this make the team yours? You're not an owner, you're not a part of the operations, and you're not employed by the team. You are just a consumer of a product. Drinking a can of Pepsi doesn't make the Pepsi company your company. If nobody were to buy Pepsi they would also go out of business, this is irrelevant.

What are some books about teams losing in 6?

That really is a shame. I agree Manfred is ruining the game, I'm not a fan anymore.

I think you're bringing this confusion upon yourself, denying the fluidity of language. Surely you know that any Astros fan who says "we won" after an Astros win realizes he's not Jim Crane (unless it was Jim Crane who said it). There are official owners and there are de facto owners.

When I buy a Pepsi and begin drinking it, that Pepsi is mine. I'm not, however, the owner of PepsiCo.

When you buy a ticket to the game that ticket it yours, not the team itself. I don't know why you're accusing me of being confused. Anyone can say that "we won" but they're wrong because they're literally not a part of the team. I think you're starting to recognize this which is why you're now appealing to this concept of fluidity among language as if words are completely relative. When judging whether or not language is correct precision matters and the phrase "we won" is incorrect precisely because you're part of the "we".

Jesus man, it's just semantics.
Don't you have some water to bilge out of your attic?

>attic

>Jesus man, it's just semantics.

Yeah so? You're on a Veeky Forums forum. This is the place for semantics.

there was a kid's book about a kid whose grandfather played in the major leagues for a bit moving in with him and his mom. does anyone know the name of it?

"we won" is correct because fans financially support the team in a multitude of ways (espcially if they live in a city with that team and the city subsidizes the cost of the stadium.) so shut the fuck up

By saying "we" you're implying that you're part of the team. That you also won. Explain to me how financially supporting makes you a part of that team. How does buying a product make you part of the company who is manufacturing and selling it?

fans are part of the team. they're the support network without which no team can exist. it's one of the reasons why teams change cities and rebrand themselves when they lose fan support and see declining ticket sales. again, shut the fuck up

You're not answering the question. If nobody bought Pepsi the company that made it would also go out of business. This doesn't mean that when I purchase a can of Pepsi I'm a part of the company. Repeatedly asserting that it does is not a reason to believe its true.

>sportsball
I'm actually high IQ and take pleasure in engaging mine intellect

I brought up fluidity because you seem to view language as something static, as though one word may only designate one thing. The fact is that language is 'relative'. There's not an elite group of linguists creating immutable language rules and policing them. Language is always in a state of flux, and is formed by the masses. It's not 'incorrect' for an Astros fan to say 'we won' when the Astros win because, given the context, we can quite easily assume he's talking about the Astros and everyone rooting for them. Precise language is important in philosophical and scientific texts, university lectures, and debates, but you're going to be disappointed if you expect it in everyday life.

When you were young and lived with your parents, would you refer to their house as "my/our house?" Unless your name was on the deed it's not your house. Stop being a faggot and derailing threads about literature for your inability to accept a colloquialism.

I see what you're trying to do and I'm not buying it. You went from "I am literally a part of the team" to now saying that "we" or "my" team was figurative. When you say "it does make you part of the team" do you actually mean that or is that poetic language too?

Your name doesn't need to be on the deed of a house in order to live their and be a part of the household. You do need to be on sports team in some capacity if you're going to claim to be part of the team.