New to reading The Bible

Which translation is the best?
People say that King James version is the truest to the source but I just read a few passages and I had no clue what the hell was going on.... Too many Thous and thines and hithers and whatnot .
Are there any other good translations out there that don't alter too much from the source , that also don't read like its from the 1500's?

Other urls found in this thread:

pidginbible.org/Concindex.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I believe oxfords annotated is the best one if you aren't reading it for religious reasons

>People say that King James version is the truest to the source
Are you joking? The KJV is awful, and not just because of the Elizabethan English. It just makes clear and routine translation errors. You take something like Genesis 2:25 and 3:1, and you see the same word ערום with two different meanings given in two adjacent verses without even a word of explanation.

Ideally, you should learn the original languages yourself and go from there. But the NASB, or the Oxford Study Bible the other guy recommended, are pretty good.

if you are new to the Bible definitely read NLT.

Try the New International Version Remix

Whats so good about it?

From a literary persepctive, the KJV is the best. reading as a non-Christian, the others are borderline comical.

NOAB is an inferior translation of the Bible to the KJV because it uses gender neutral language. The KJV is more literal in this regard. But to give due credit to NOAB it does have very good notes, those are more useful than the translation it uses.

Jimmy's claim to fame is that it sounds dignified as shit, not that it's the truest to the source.

The NABRE is the best scholarly edition, and the NRSV is good too

ESB is you want accuracy.
KJV is you want poetry.

first of the "NOAB" is not the translation, NRSV is the translation, New Oxford is just the edition. That's like saying "Penguin translation" or "Everyman's translation". secondly it is so much more accurate than the King James that no academic or theologian would even consider it a comparison. The most accurate translation of the NT is Lattimore's and his is almost identical to the NRSV.
thirdly nobody gives a shit about "gender neutral pronouns" except sjw/pol idealogues and twitter folk

Learn Hebrew, Greek, and Latin... or easier just read a few different ones.

It really makes you break it down and pop your booty.

The Qur'an

There is only one GOOD translation of the Bible.

pidginbible.org/Concindex.html

>Den Moses an all da Israel peopo sing fo Yahweh lidis:
“I like make song fo Yahweh,
Cuz he awesome, da way he make himself big!
He wen throw da horses an da guys dat ride um inside da sea.
>2Yahweh, he da One dat make me strong an solid,
He wen come da One dat get me outa trouble.
He da God fo me, an I like tell, he da greates!
He was da God fo my fadda guy too, an I going tell, he da bestes!
>3Yahweh, he da one dat know how fo fight!
Yahweh, dass who him!
>4“Da Pharaoh guy wen send army guys an wagons fo war.
But God, he throw um inside da sea!
Even da bestes officer guys dat Pharaoh get,
Dey go down awready inside da Red Sea.
>5Da deep watta wen cova dem.
Dey go down deep inside da watta jalike one stone!

This is actually pretty good.

>Latin
homey are you retarded? maybe you meant aramaic.

>because it uses gender neutral language
only where the original language did not specify gender itself. any gender that wasn't a translation error in the first place is preserved.

If you had trouble understanding the KJV, The ESV is a good balance of dynamic and formal equivalency in translation, and is much easier to understand.

Avoid the NIV, which is a common translation. Other good ones are the NKJV, NASB, and the NRSV.

Maybe he is talking about the Latin Vulgate.

The Orthodox Study Bible -- has the Septuagint translated into English, very good articles and notes for study.

The Septuagint is Greek translation of the Old Testament produced before Christ. It's what people in the New Testament quote. Almost all other Bible versions have the Old Testament translated from a mishmash of medieval Hebrew texts.

The King James Bible-- beautiful translation. Thee, thou, thy, and ye all have specific meanings that are different from each other and from "you" and "yours". They're not arbitrary words used in older texts just to make them look fancy. Their use allows the King James to better reflect the original texts in a lot of areas over modern English translations.

The King James was originally published in 1611, and the version you're reading is with updated language from 1769. Even the first post-dates Shakespeare. If English is your first language, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. There are millions of little Baptist children strewn about the American South reading it every day. Try again starting at John's Gospel.

DO NOT listen to the atheists memeing the Oxford Annotated Bible. The translation is trash and the notes are mostly garbage. It is the supreme atheist gentleman's shelf Bible.

>The Orthodox Study Bible -- has the Septuagint translated into English, very good articles and notes for study.

Isnt it just the NKJV with denomination specific footnotes?

Also this is hyperbole

"DO NOT listen to the atheists memeing the Oxford Annotated Bible. The translation is trash and the notes are mostly garbage"

Its based off of the Revised standard version which is a perfectly fine and even desirable translation you write as though its The Good News or NIV

Ignatius bible

KJV/NKJV
NRSV
New American Standard
Orthodox Bible

read ur KJV. if biblical literature really is your thing grab copies of the others and cross-reference.

Why can't people accept that all translations are inherently flawed and a good translation can mean different things to different people?

for some genres, not necessarily the bible, the style is as important as the content, and for some like philosophy it can be so specific that a poor translation of even a single word could misconstrue the content unless the translator made a specific footnote or something akin to that.
KJV is stylistically the most influential english language translation of the Bible, and a very large portion of english language literature quotes it, so I would say it is important to read at least the gospels, the books of moses, and the psalms in KJV.

we're all here to argue about the most mundane and trivial things