Eastern """Philosophy"""

>dude just shut up and follow the law lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingon_Buddhism
suttacentral.net/mil
suttacentral.net/en/dn16
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Basically yeah. Confucius say: work hard for the state, everything in moderation, be a faithful user and live by these rules all will be well.

The exact same shit as the Stoics or Epicureans or Plato, except the gooks don't show their work. And it is vital they show their work so the student can truly understand.

for Confucianism the results are the work, and there were great results.

Sounds like Socrates drinking the hemlock.

>results-oriented philosophy
That's called a tool of the state, user.

>OP obviously referring to legalism
>nerds interpret it as a reference to Confucianism
if you're going to criticize it, try at least looking like you know what it is

My criticism was entirely appropriate. "Just shut up and follow the law" is legalism is a tool of the state. Don't let the Confucius namedrop throw you.

Just like Socrates, there is your western """"philsophy"""

>dude, just chill, be like water lmao

Easy there, Zhao. Socrates left hundreds of pages of dialogues through Plato. Fu Manchu and the Reds developed their philosophy to be a collar for the layman, not understood or personally liberating.

>Socrates
>Personally liberating.

Didn't you read the phaed?
> I'm so virtuous, I'll show you, give me that poison.

are you implying Confucius didn't leave a ton of stuff behind which was compiled afterwards just like Socrates?
Analects is titanic, and for the Taoists there is a load of related literature beyond Tao Te Ching

If you're talking about it, you're not taking about It.

>stop seeking control

Confucianism is chiefly a political philosophy, it was made and understands itself as a tool of the state. What is the problem here?

>Eastern philosophy
>you and others don't really exist, everything is one
>don't hurt others thought cause that's bad and you'll get reborn as a tapeworm
>also seek your enlightenment, its good for you and good for others...
>of course you are just an illusion, and so is everyone else, lmfao...what am I even smoking?

not exactly, its goes far beyond the state its a "total" system that orders all existence on the patriarchal model of the family unit. You're thinking more of Neo-Confucianism which actively strove to be more secular and rational

this is more Indian philosophy desu
im not sure Indian and East Asian should be lumped together as one entity even if there was cross-cultural transmission.

>Empedocles
>you and others don't really exist, everything is one
>don't eat meat or beans either cause that's bad it could be your mom as a fish lmao
>we're all fallen gods we just gotta purify ourselves by pleasing the beans trust me pls
>of course we're just an illusion, I'll prove I'm a god I'll jump in this active volcano topkek
western "philosophy" everybody

>Empodecles is the alpha and omega of western philosophy
wut

I could pick any other philosophy and it would sound just as retarded. I picked Empedocles because he mixed Parmenides with early Pythagorean doctrine, both of whom had a pervading influence on western philosophy by being the hung jocks in Plato's wet dreams.

the pre-socratics were such hard dudes
Plato is such a puss in comparison

>christians claim to understand faith
step aside bitches

>I could pick any other philosophy and it would sound just as retarded
you picked a philosopher, not a philosophy representative of a wide spanning culture.
eastern philosophy has horrible internal contradictions and turns a blind eye to many big questions, reducing them to illusions via hand waving and appeals to mystical experiences

>long, thicc asian legs
white man's kryptonite

It doesn't if you read their texts, which I guarantee you haven't by your incredibly weak shitpost about "Eastern philosophy".

where can i buy that shirt

Beans are pretty sweet tho

I've read all eastern philosophy. Both the poo-in-the-loo kind and the dog-eating kind.

tell me some of the internal contradictions in Nagarjuna then

>I've read ALL eastern philosophy

Well he often tries to disprove ideas using "reductio ad absurdum" yet in many places he clearly disagrees with the law of non-contradiction, explicitly or implicitly, and the law of excluded middle.
So he's basically an irrationalist that wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Please show me where he does these things.

uh, in his books? retard

Mūla-madhyamaka-kārikā 18:8

Haha, I was doing a simple Google search to post a reply to to bait them, and this is almost exactly what I was going to write. All you did was copy highlighted keywords from Google Books (e.g., Beyond the Limits of Thought) and string them into a shitty sentence. Nice one, user. Beat me to it.
>law of non-contradiction
>irrationalist
>reductio ad absurdum

>shitposting can make you smart

Pedantic faggots on Veeky Forums should be a paid attraction.

>hahahah you're right!!!! but you probably googled him to know that!!
implying his disregard for aristotelian logic is a secret. Most buddhism disregards formal logic. I could've said the same about Buddha himself.

>I don't what I'm talking about but I'm right!
kys

Philosophy is a uniquely Western concept. Other civilisations are virtually incapable to philosophising. To be able to claim there exists non-Western philosophy you have to expand the meaning of the term to the point of meaninglessness.

Indian philosophy is comparable to Western

You're right, ""philosophy"" is what you get when decayed, degenerate societies try at theology.

>dude just shut up and follow the law lmao

That's certainly not Confucianism.
>子曰:“道之以政,齐之以刑,民免而无耻;道之以德,齐之以礼,有耻且格。”
>The Master said, "If you guide the people with ordinances and statutes and keep them in line with [threats of] punishment, they will try to stay out of trouble but will have no sense of shame. If you guide them with exemplary virtue and keep them in line with the practice of the rites, they will have a sense of shame and will know to reform themselves." (Analects 2.3)

Tan Sitong believed that after the unification of China, mainstream Chinese political thought was just legalism disguised in Confucian terms.

That Xunzi was responsible for providing the intellectual basis for this and the state of Qin for putting it into action.
>故常以为二千年来之政,秦政也,皆大盗也;二千年来之学,荀学也,皆乡愿也。 谭嗣同 《仁学》
>I often think that for two thousand years we have been suffered under the Qin regime; that two thousand years of philosophy has been dominated by the hypocritical students of Xunzi.

>>dude just shut up and follow the law lmao
t. Heraclitus

this is true, in an Indian and can confirm.
took pieces from works written centuries apart and put them together with no context.
the Vedas, the upanishads, the Manusmrti, the puranas, the bhagavat gita, ramayana, the jatakas, etc were all from completely different times and have completely different backgrounds.

there are two main schools of thought: dvaita and advaita.
dvaita believes that everyone is distinct, how you personally follow Dharma and how you interact with others decides your karma, which will decide what you'll be reborn as. if you're really really good, you'll be freed from the cycle of rebirth and be reborn in the heavens, which is moksha( salvation)
advaita believes that there are only two things: matter and spirit, and life is where these two coincide. because matter is fractured, the spirit in living things may seem to be seperate, but in reality, there is only one spirit/soul in the universe, which is God, and which everyone is without realizing it. when you die, your piece of spirit is freed from its mortal coil and becomes indistinguishable from the rest of the eternal soul. moksha (salvation) is the act of manual freeing your spirit from its physical shackles and connecting to the eternal soul.
the manusmriti, unlike this esoteric stuff, is a set of extremely rigid rules that imply that not only is a person's duty decided the moment they're born, but also exactly how to do them, and exactly how they should be punished for even the slightest deviation from this path. nyetzsche was a big fan of the Manusmrti because he felt that unlike the testaments, where the path was vague and humans could, by definition, never become perfect, the manusmriti allowed humans to be perfect and devoid of sin.
the puranas are mostly pagan mythological shit, and each village has its own God and each God has his own purana. usually, it's just the same hundred stories with the characters changed.nothing much of value in this.
[1/2]

>Western ""philosophy""

then there was the bhakti movement, which was kinda like an undoing of all the rigidity and rules put so far. basically all you had to do was believe. didn't matter what it whom you believed in, good things would happen to you if you believed.
the jatakas were books of Indian Buddhism. they were basically aesophs fables, but at the end of each story Buddha would say that the main/good character was his previous incarnation, various nuetral characters were his followers, and the bad guy was Devadatta.
the ramayana and mahabharata are epic stories, with philosophical and social undertones woven into them. perhaps the most famous Indian book, the bhagavat gita, is an elaboration of one scene in the mahabharata- the scene where Arjuna questions why he has to fight a war at all, even though it is generally taught that violence is bad, and how Krishna convinced him. it is basically a debate between an "ends justify means" philosophy versus a "do good work for its sake without worrying about results" philosophy.

[2/2]

>took pieces from works written centuries apart and put them together with no context.
Appropriately, that's basically how Buddhism was transmitted to China. They assumed that all texts attributed to the Buddha were really spoken by him, and had to try to reconcile translated fragments of a millenia of Indian thought into a unified system.

The weirdest India=> far east transmission is Japanese Tantric/Esoteric Buddhism which was transmitted China=>Japan in 806 CE and is pretty heavily influenced by non-Buddhist Indian traditions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingon_Buddhism

implying the tetralemma wasn't a more nuanced understanding of logic than the Greeks practiced.

thank you

>Socrates left hundreds of pages of dialogues through Plato.
>this is what Platofags actually believe

It's not like they had much of an option with the Islamic invasions loads of monks fled east with basically any books they could carry

this guy has been walking around Sydney city forever. me and my friends would follow him around and try to talk to him when we were 15 but he never said a word to us. on the back it says 'and loving it'.

one difference between eastern and western philosophy is the, what's a good term, time-exemption eastern phil seems to possess? we tend to agree on a culmination of western philosophy as each individual and relevant school builds on that which came prior, presocratics ==> socrates((plato)) ==>aristotle==>stoics etc

this isn't so much a linear progression of thought itself but timelines coincide with a general progressive nature, though obviously there are callbacks ala neoplatonism and the religious tinge to most '''early''' thought schools

idk but lao tzu's tao te ching seems to vindicate itself through its very approach (cannot be defined, ever unchanging, give yourself to the way and don't resist ie challenge) and confucius offers similar thoughts in his fidelity and emphasis on not questioning the metaphysical and instead focusing on harmonious relations with family and the state and good leadership among men.

i've already lost my proper train of thought; how to stop being a streamofconsciousnesslet?

But you have to admit it's no sillier than believing that Jesus was a real person based on a couple of sentences from Tacitus and Josephus, which happens quite commonly.

OP is clearly referring to Legalism

OP is quite right. Philosophy is a very Western restricted term, it is not suitable to loosely applying it on whatever thoughts generated from wherever else. Take empire and emperor as examples, despite their common interchangeability in translations, they’re in fact not identical to Chinese Huang Chao and Huang Di. Yes, they’re similar to each other, but they’re not quite the same as well.

Going back to philosophy, the term is usually defined in relation to religion and science, and it subjected itself to the pursuit of the Truth in a fundamental and ultimate sense. This’s not the case of “Chinese Philosophy”. Chinese didn’t categorize their thoughts like Westerners do, texts considered as philosophy are just abstract thinking containing themes similar to Western philosophy. Unlike Westerners, these abstract thoughts never treated Truth as their object, they were always pragmatic, teaching people how to properly behave as an individual or a community. Even Taoism, a school teaches the action of non-action, is a guide of individual behaviors towards carefreeness, thus pragmatic at its core.

Judging by their differences, it’s useless to evaluate Chinese thoughts according to the tradition of Western philosophy.

Taoism is so comfy

The most influential texts in Chinese Buddhism were translated before the birth of Mohammed.

The guy who translated the Lotus Sutra and the Diamond Sutra was active around 400 CE.

The Islamic invasions has more to do with the beginnings of Tibetan Buddhism. Chinese Buddhism was established centuries earlier.

I dont know about that.. From Daode Jing:
>天地不仁。以万物为刍狗。
>Nature is not benevolent. It sees everything as no more than straw dogs [to be used once and then trodden into the dirt]
>圣人不仁,以百姓为刍狗。
>The sage is not benevolent, he sees the people as no more than straw dogs.

>""""philosophy""" of any sort
seek ye first the kingdom of heaven, and all else will be added to you.

>taoism is comfy
a crab in slowly heating water is also comfortable, for a while....

>lotus and diamond sutra
fake buddha quotes

Guess they really were the magical fruit, huh?

There were plenty of fake sutras composed by Chinese people, but the Lotus and Diamond sutras really did come from India.

Of course they are not the words of the historical Buddha, but that's so obvious it's not worth saying. It's like saying the Bible is full of fake Jesus quotes. Wow, great analysis.

But this is true
Nature isn't benevolent, nor evil, it is just "natural"

Yeah, I was just saying that Laozi has his non-cozy side.

dude deprive yourself of pleasure because life is literally suffering lmao
t. buddhist

theschooloflife.com/shop

assumption is the students should be methodical enough to connect the dots themselves. showing your work is for gay westerners

east asia + india has drastically different societal structures. buddhism in both areas evolved slightly to accommodate other parts of the culture.

not sure if this is just the specific sect but a lot of the east asian buddhism i've been personally exposed to was pretty lax for the average worshipper, beyond memorizing all the namuabidabutsu shit and showing up to the temple sometimes

>子曰:“不愤不启;不悱不发。举一隅,不以三隅反,则不复也。”
>The Master said, "I will not give a person a boost or a start if he does not know the frustration [of trying to solve a difficult problem] or the frenzy one would get into when trying [to put an idea] into words. After I have shown a student one corner of a square, if he does not come back with the other three, I will not repeat what I have done."

It's also that the Lunyu was not supposed to exist as a self contained work, it's just a list of quotations for use in face to face teaching.

Maybe think things out a bit before you start typing.

you're dumb

pretty high quality posts senpai

cheers

What can I do to internalise this?

>funnyjunk filename

Even your strawman is incoherent

from my experience there are a lot more "degrees" of worship in Buddhist communities here. some people are very lax, akin to "christmas/easter Christians" and then of course there are the full on monks, but there are also loads of people in between at varying levels.
I guess Christianity is similar with plenty of laypeople being very active, but I'm unsure if this sort of lay activism is a modern development in Buddhism as it seems to be the norm with western Buddhists.

neck yourself

Parmenides is the OG monist
>dude I rode a chariot into heaven and discovered truth from the gods lmao
>you can't say anything about nothing so nothing can't exist lol
>multiplicity is an illusion
>motion is an illusion
>also the universe is a ball

No, Jesus is real based on Paul, who met Jesus' earliest followers, and the gospels which are legendary versions of his life, written close enough in time to be useful for learning about the historical Jesus.

Indian Buddhism is trve bvddhism.
read Milinda Panha. it is an Indian Buddhist text of Greek king Menander's discussions with a Buddhist monk before he converted. it has all the core values of buddhism without the strange twisted writing style of other good Indian literature

Is this some sort of joke? The greatest Eastern philosophical text of all the, the Tao Te Ching, is a classic of anarchist thought.

Yes, I've read it. The last sutta in the Pali sutta pitaka.
suttacentral.net/mil

Heaven knows why they thought it counted as buddhavacana.

suttacentral.net/en/dn16
>There the Gracious One addressed the monks, saying: “I will teach these Four Great Referrals, monks, listen to it, apply your minds well, and I will speak.”

>“Very well, reverend Sir,” those monks replied to the Gracious One, and the Gracious One said this:

>1) “Here, monks, a monk might speak like this: ‘I have heard this directly from the Gracious One, friends, directly I learned it: “This is the Teaching, this is the Discipline, this is the Teacher’s Dispensation.”’ That monk’s speech, monks, is not to be rejoiced over, not to be scorned at. Without having rejoiced over it, without having scorned it, after learning those words and syllables well, they should be laid alongside the Discourses, they should be compared with the Discipline.

>2) If, when these are laid alongside the Discourses, compared with the Discipline, they do not fit in with the Discourses, they do not compare well with the Discipline, you may here come to this conclusion: ‘Certainly this is not the Gracious One’s word, it is not well learned by that monk,’ and, monks, you should abandon it. If when these are laid alongside the Discourses, compared with the Discipline, they do fit in with the Discourses, they do compare well with the Discipline, you may come to this conclusion: ‘Certainly this is the Gracious One’s word, it is well-learned by that monk.’ This, monks, is the first Great Referral you should bear in mind.

>... ‘In a certain dwelling place lives a Community with elders and leaders, I have heard this directly from that Community...

>...live many elders, very learned, who have learned the traditions, who are bearers of the Teaching, bearers of the Discipline, bearers of the Tabulation, I have heard this directly from those elders...

>...lives one elder, very learned, who has learned the traditions, a bearer of the Teaching, a bearer of the Discipline, a bearer of the Tabulation, I have heard this directly from that elder...

Manual of minarchist statecraft =/= anarchism

Nobody said Socrates isn't real, just that he didn't leave any writings. And regarding Jesus, if multiple sources from different perspectives isn't enough to convince you he exists, you might as well just throw out most of history.