I picked up all of the books in this series for literally a quarter. (I'm fucking serious.)

I picked up all of the books in this series for literally a quarter. (I'm fucking serious.)
Are they worth reading or are they reddit tier bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently's_Holistic_Detective_Agency
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're worth a read. Not the best thing in the world, but its got some solid chuckles throughout.

It's a fun mindless read, some humor is unfunny and cringy as fuck, but for the most part it's decent.

>They're worth a read.
No they aren't worth the time, you have got about hundred better things to better reading so do that instead

They are really good, highly recommend

I enjoyed reading it. Take it for what it is, light hearted, recreational reading, wacky humor (of the english kind), and have fun. Ignore the haters and naysayers, for they are lost in the plebeian, sophomoric haze of "The Greeks", and for them, nothing else will do.

>you have got about hundred better things to better reading so do that instead
Actually I don't.
The only books I have in my backlog are some WW2 shit and a book about Freemasonry. I'm all out of Fiction at the moment and will be until December when I get my Christmas bonus and can go buy some more physical books.

So let me rephrase:

If I have nothing else to read, is OP worth reading? Will I want to kill myself? Or am I better off just throwing it into my bookshelf and forgetting about it?

H2G2 is excellent british humour.

I really hated reading this book. Maybe the rest of the series is better but the first book left me not wanting to read any more. I had a chuckle when they made a joke about The Infinite Monkey Theorem but other than that it really felt like a waste of my time.

If you're a nerd you'll love it. Otherwise, no.

No you won't want to kill yourself by any means. You'll likely have a fun time and a few genuinely good chuckles. Be warned though, book 5 (and maybe the second half of book 4) is edgy garbage and the series works better without it.

It's the proto-rick and morty

don't read them

Yeah the quality steadily decreases as the series goes on. I remember the first 2 books being solid, but from 3 on its gets pretty trite.

I was truly satisfied by the fourth book, to the extent that I've got no motivation to find the fifth. The part with dire straits was ace, I was grinning like an idiot while I was reading it.

I cant explain how wrong and offensive that is.

But he's correct nigger faggot

no he's not?

H2G2 doesn't sell itself on provocative, edgy "dark" humour and pseudo intellectually. R&M does.

The only similarity between the two is the cult edgy hipsters devote to both, but a piece's reception can't be held against said piece.

This. Way better than the """humor""" Kurt Vonnegut uses, Slaughterhouse 5 is the definitive reddit book though the themes and ideas were't inherently bad, I would much rather read something like Catch 22

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is better.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently's_Holistic_Detective_Agency

Read the first, it's ok.
The rest are all skippable.

>reddit-tier

You don't have the mental capacity to understand Tintin. Fuck off.

The first two are worth reading, only read the other three if you really liked it. The original radio play is better than the book desu

Yes, though if you don't enjoy reading them you may like the audiobook narrations more. They certainly stood out more than my own quiet reading of the series

It's fun, just read it.

Fuck the haters, I love the series. The third book is the best by far.

Thinking of it as reddit is anachronistic. Think of it as sci-fi parody from a guy who loved P.G. Wodehouse.

this board has really gone down the shitter baka

The first one is worth it, at least. I haven't read past it because I'm a very busy man who only comes on here when he has spare time. But I suggest trying the first one. What cold it hurt? They go fast. Read the first one in less than a day.

>Are they worth reading or are they reddit tier bullshit?
It's more like Marvel Movie humor. Refer to Guardians of the Galaxy for example. The book is at least comfortable because Adams is a cozy writer.

not to mention Long Dark Teatime of the Soul

It’s a poor man’s Catch-22. And literally, it seems.

Remember these are novelizations of another medium:radio dramas. You'll appreciate them more.

how hard is it for you to read the first book and make up your own mind you fucking numbskull. try thinking for yourself for once

I don't know if you faggots realize it yet but reddit is the perffect supliment to your Veeky Forums addiction. It is like the perfect ying and yang relationship. Reddit has better content that is slower with less freedom as it is limited by democracy whereas Veeky Forums has more quick zingers.

fuck off back to /plebbit/.

fuck your upvotes and usernames and promoted threads and all that other bullshit