Just bought this. What am I in for and how long did it take you guys to read it?

Just bought this. What am I in for and how long did it take you guys to read it?

You are in for a disappointment

lol we haven't read it

It's a meme you dip

Did I get memed? I’ve seen it get hyped up places other than Veeky Forums too. My English professor was talking about it and he has good taste in books so I figured it had to be good.

still not finished

Your professor is probably a fag. Yes the book is a meme, its the ramblings of a depressed madman who can't get a coherent thought out.

Yes my professor is literally gay. He’s also a huge David Lynch fan so I can see why he’d gravitate toward books like this.

Ignore the idiots in this thread. Yes it's become a meme, and isn't the life-shattering work that some hold it up to be, but that doesn't mean it's not a really great and at times extremely funny book that's almost unique in vision and scope.

Okay. That’s all I was hoping for. That and the ability to brag about the fact I’ve read an 1100 page book.

>the ramblings of a depressed madman
welcome to the cannon of world literature, glad you could join us.

Just read Against the Day. It's the same length and better

seconded

booo everyone should be exposed to both a little DFW and a little Pynchon and I see GR as a much better start to Pynchon than ATD.

Anything by Lynch>Infinite meme

4 days
its a very funny and honestly super comfy books
the footnotes and overabundance of detail seems annoying to new readers but its one of those works like Lord of the Rings that just set up their own little universe so well that you'll reread it every few years
many readers give up on the first read (usually just before it debuts the halfway house portion of the book, which is one of the most compelling reasons to read)
even if you give up and restart you'll read it eventually
make sure to have 2 bookmarks, one for your current page and one for your footnotes page
the first few sections seem dissonant but it does introduce a regular cast of characters over time, it throws in character it only mentions once or twice every once in a while but as long as you keep track of the Incandenzas, Madame Psychosis, Gately, and a few of the halfway housers don't worry yourself

The first and second seasons of Twin Peaks are pretty enjoyable

I like David lynch too that’s part of the reason why I trust his taste. He made us watch inland empire for two whole classes.

holy fuck 4 days? Im on page 420 now, havent had a day where I read more than 50 pages. Not even sure I hit 50 in one day desu

DFW was a huge fan of Lynch
one of the essays in "a supposedly fun thing ill never do again" is about Lynch
they met briefly

Thank you for the heads up. I actually just got around to reading 1984. As soon as I finish 1984 I will start IJ. I definitely don’t think I’d be able to finish it in 4 days though.

I thought it was pretty good. It's a slog to get through the first 250 pages, but I think it ends up being worth it.

It's a good book. Keyword is comfy... Except for the poor Tony and Wardine parts.

If you have any experience with the effects of neuroses and drug abuse, it'll probably hit home again and again.

I definitely do. I’ve been clean from heroin for 5 years now. I can’t wait to read this then.

Dope book. You're in for a reading experience you'll likely never forgot, whether that's in a positive or negative way depends on your sensabilities

I will check that movie.
What did you think about the third season?
Personally, I think it was nowhere near as good as the first 2
-even though thr second season had some ridiculous moments.
It had too many characters that were totally irrelevant and other sidestories that had absolute no appeal whatsover. There were too many irrelevant scenes also, but I guess that's the price for 60 min series

not him (I'm the 4 day man) but I was considering watching the 3rd season
is it worth checking out?

It's very good imo, ignore the hate (half this board is under 18, remember?). It's not particularly difficult page for page, just long. The whole thing has really stuck with me, and it's actually a somewhat cozy mental space.

It took me a few months to read, although it wasn't a steady thing. My main advice would be to read it every day, even a few pages, so you're still in the headspace over time. It's a good book to read for a few hours if you have the time, for sure.

As I said, it was disappointing, but that could be because I held the first two seasons - especially the first - at a very large esteem, and the first episodes were actually good, and the first episodes seemed promising.
I would recommend the third season if you enjoyed the other two, just don't expect much of it. Many characters like Audrey, Dr. Jacoby, Nadine... are wasted in completely irrelevant plots.
Anyway, there are some interesting and funny moments, but they are not often and it can get ridiculous and unbelievable fast, some new characters would have been better in a Heroes-like series...

I’ll be honest I never got around to watching twin peaks. I’ve watched only his films up until now. But most people on /tv/ say the first season is better than the 2nd.

Nice. I hope you'll like the book, user.

The first is much better than the second, no doubt. However the second isnt't bad, despite some ridiculous moments(Nadine plotline)
What bothers me the most about season 3 is how they wasted so many good characters(Audrey being the best example).
I strongly recommend you to the first season. After that, you will be likely to forgive the faults of the second

>What am I in for
A book that is too long for what it is trying to say.
>how long did it take you guys to read it?
3 weeks of ~50 pages a day.

What kind of machine can read 50 pages/day?

a self-proclaimed NEET

found it disgusting and often hated DFW's sense of humor so IJ drifted from primary to secondary to tertiary reading, did a few pages a day for about six months. I cannot comprehend reading it in 4 days, assuming that is true and not a "look how fast I read!" fib. There was something so obnoxious about the character of the book; anyone who can handle 270 pages of it in a day, let alone on consecutive days, must be a similar sort of obnoxious. I am left frowning at the idea of 4 days guy.

dubs meet quads
impressive.

It's obvious that he is memeing this shitty book even further.

that doesnt mean it has to be incoherent

fucking lol

very good advice. I took a couple of weeks off from it at one point and it was tough to re-immerse myself right away.

ITT: bookshelf decorators

I read it on my Kindle.

Well it isn't, maybe you're just too retarded to see coherence in something quite simple actually?

havent finished it but the part where the man gets literally ripped in half due to him trying get to his two addictions which are in opposing sides of the room was a great bit of absurdist dark humor

Kid who sits next to me and who definitely has his shit together was reading it
Made me want to read it
I'm gonna buy it soon
It gets a bad wrap around here
That should be a sign it's worth a read

W-what?? Are you gonna tell me that starting with the Greeks is a meme as well? Damn I fell for it so hard
But why exactly is it a bad book? Only cause it's hard to read? Does it have anything of value in it?
wuww my frend u habe duble dubz :DDD
Checked!

Not that hard really if youre reading for a couple of hours a day. When im really into something i do 100-200. I recebtly read brace new world in one sitting.

That's kind of the message of the book. It is incredibly self aware. The book is all about entertainment and purpose you see. Wallace believes that because of our consumer capitalist culture we have set entertainment as one of the highest values. For some people it is the purpose of life: to have as much pleasure as possible. Hence in the book drugs are a major theme. The issue is that this is temporary and empty. In the book there are many things that people do for pleasure that ends up consuming their life. It is generally treated as a sad affair. You don't applaud a man who overdoses on heroin. It is a shame because he chase an empty pursuit.

Then you have the tennis academy where people are working at the limits of their biology to become perfect athletes. That is their value instead of entertainment. And while it is a much higher pursuit it can still be largely obtained and so it is almost empty too. In the end you have contributed to much but yourself so what is the point? Infinite Jest is a book for people like that. Who see the biggest toughest book and want to read it because it will give them bragging rights. Some who finish it get the urge to throw the book at the most convenient wall. It is such a struggle at parts that part of you hates it. It seems like a pointless struggle.

So infinite Jest is really a criticism of our increasingly independent society. It is a trap for those who have fallen under the hedonistic self interested ideology of America.

its a little lost before page 300. thats when you get to really know the key characters and from there on it is really great to the end

Wow user, that sounds great! I'll read the book right after I'm done with the current one