Well I just finished Urth of the New Sun. What a wild ride. We went from space Jesus to time traveling space Jesus...

Well I just finished Urth of the New Sun. What a wild ride. We went from space Jesus to time traveling space Jesus. What are your thoughts?

>We went from space Jesus to time traveling space Jesus
but we already did that in the book of the new sun
urth of the new sun was written at the behest of wolfe's publisher to explain to the retards what was already pretty obvious in its parent work

I liked it better than any of the single BotNS novels. I have no idea why.

I have started reading Defoe's Plague Year and it's as if Severian has written it (after you discount the dry journalism parts).

Just finished Book of the New Sun.

I liked it a lot- even if at times it felt like bashing my head against a large granite brick- and am looking forward to reading Urth.

But I'm going to need a bit of a rest first, I'm assuming Urth isn't going to be any easier to get through than BotNS. Also at some point I'd like to reread BotNS, but it'll be a bit before I do that.

I've read a few pieces claiming we can't trust Severain's narration completely because he's an admitted liar, and subsequently does lie in the narration.

While there's no argument to be made that Severain isn't a liar- he is and does so frequently in the story- I still can't think of an example where Severain lies in the narration. Nor do any of the pieces that I've read cite any specific examples of Severain lying in the narration.

Can Veeky Forums provide any examples of Severain lying in the narration? How reliable of a narrator do you consider Severain?

The thing you would point to with that is his relationship to Thekla

He is unreliable, not an outright liar in terms of plot points or whatever, there is no "I went up the mountain" when he really didn't go up the mountain, searching for that sort of disconnect is silly

I'm assuming you mean about him saying it was never a sexual relationship, and then very clearly being stated that it was in fact.

That's the only thing that really came to mind. Even then I'm not sure people aren't overstating his initial denials, and he was very truthful about it later.

Her character too

I feel like I didn't enjoy the Book of the New Sun as much as I wanted to. It was OK but people revere it as a masterwork of Sci-fi and I just don't see it.
Will repeated reading help with this? I'd love to know what the fuss is about. I'm generally not plebby with literature, but this one might have gone over my head.

Latro is not a Jesus
Wolfe is a Catholic afterall
He's more of an Apollo archetype

I prefer The Fifth Head of Cerberus and his short stories tbqh

His short stories suck

>>>/sffg/

>tee hee can you solve my secret riddles? you may have to read my book many times to get everything hahaha

here, f-fuck you

>You've just gotta put in the work to solve my puzzles lol. The hidden meaning is in there bro!

Boat rape

If you didn't appreciate the prose you don't have to reread it, you will stay a filthy plebeian digging up mud by the shores of Gyoll.

Q: From the fourth book you have been uncovering some chapters with nicknames, like ‘The Prophet’ or ‘The Kraken’s Daughter’. Why do you do that? --
GRRM: Well… [Thinks for a long time with an enigmatic smile] I don’t know if you know Gene Wolfe, one of the best science fiction and fantasy writers, in my opinion. Well, his work is full of puzzles and enigmas and you have to put a lot of attention on what he is saying. I remember one day I asked him: “Why do you use that? Is there a deeper reason beyond?” And he didn’t say anything at the beginning except Han solo dies in the new star wars luke doesn't have a line of dialogue and doesnt appear until the end and finn gets his hand cut off . He just smiled me ironically and said to me: “What do you think it means?” And I told him my theories. Then, he answered: “Interesting…” [Laughs]. That’s all you wanna get out of me, but I have to say this is not an accident [Laughs]. --

>[Thinks for a long time with an enigmatic smile]

>[Thinks for a long time with an enigmatic smile]

>"Interesting"

He is ahura mazda incognito and will be Jesus someday soon ... the things in the memory palace are actually the gospel writers (bull headed figure, etc) and the three camels in the south are the three wise men coming brofus. Latro IS Jesus before he was Jesus, and the coming of the Pax roman to bring the birth of Christ and reconcile the pagan world.

So if Latro is Jesus, does that mean Muad'Dib is Mohammed?

>Sand people jihad against imperialists after scarce resources

Wait, maybe he's Osama