Why arent you into chinese thought and art

why arent you into chinese thought and art

this is way better than all your western philosophy or indian spirituality

those two are like two people who own a bike that lacks the front wheel in one case and the rear one in the other and just speak of all the virtues of the wheel they have but still arent able to move an inch

i prefer to go on a walk into a chinese landscape and see how the rocks are the same as clouds

Where do I start, I'll buy it right away.

idk maybe the liezi is a good intro
short stories than can be read lightly but also have a good content when properly read

Western literary, artistic and philosophical tradition is so much greater than that of the Chinese it is an embarrassing act to even compare them. There is no depth to the Chinese

I just read the first chapter of the Penguin Books adaptation of Journey to the West, myself.

Why do you say that?

Chinese thought led to China, thats why.

yes and no

it indeed makes no sense to compare them because you wont find anything in the exact shape that the west developed

but when you become to get acquainted with their developments and follow them in their logic it has nothing to wish from the western developments

*begin

Is this a new meme?

The location of Europe/Mediterranean allows for dispersion of ideas, culture and art that simply isn't geographically available to East Asia, except for maybe SE Indonesia having trade links to India but it's nothing compared to the mingling of Semitic, Iranic, Greek, Roman and Germanic civilizations. Despite having around twice the population of the European continent China produces a pretty stale and constant mono-culture relative to the turbulent dissemination of European cultures, not to mention the ramifications of the colonial period.

And Western Thought led to the West

>yes and no
I agree ->

Only til about 1950 or thereabouts.

I don't know enough Chinese yet. Maybe I'll get there one day.

I watched a Romance of the Three Kingdoms TV adaptation and liked it

Implying those are not Western inventions:
>sexual liberation and the cult of promiscuity
>rampant consumerism and the glorification of hedonism
>nihilist individualism

Implying those are Chinese inventions:
>Marxism
>mass production of goods and subsequent pollution

You have all your shit mixed up

in that sense, every country that is the least bit developed today is a "western" country, given that their economics, political and legal institutions, scientific thought, technology, are all derived from the west

Yes, but before marxism and Mao there was once a unique Chinese school of philosophy and art, and saying
>Chinese school led to China
is ignorant at worst, and low-effort at best

>every country that is the least bit developed today is a "western" country,
Is this not entirely correct?

feelsgood

I didn't say Chinese school.

you didn't need to

You said Chinese Though, as if there was no such thing before Marx and Mao

Am Chinese, the only Chinese traditions are Tao, Confucius, and Buddhism. Only readable texts are the Four Great Classics, and the Tao Te Ching. China, unlike Japan went to shit in the Qing dynasty when Manchu people ruled instead of the Han. Also with the Cultural Revolution, Communists destroyed many national treasures, art works, and classical texts. This is just a meme unless you study under the Chinese classic scholars, who were murdered for being bourgeois in the Communist Revolution, there are few Chinese texts available in the Western languages that articulate the vastness of Chinese traditional wisdom.

>Cultural Revolution, Communists destroyed many national treasures, art works, and classical texts
fuckkkk

Interestingly, that picture reminded me of something Simon Leys said about the remarkable 'non-material' nature of Chinese culture. Rather than letting their spirit inhabit their works, they chose to let it inhabit the people - through ideas and in "so many striking, unexpected, or subtle ways".

The language, which allows for tons of symbol manipulation, puns, historical reference, or memes etc... is the largest non-physical cathedral you can inhabit. I was watching that Chinese animu The King's Avatar (Quanzhi Gaoshou), and despite being lowbrow VR-world entertainment in the same vein of Sword Art Online, all of the character's in-game names were taken from Chinese poems. Yet you'd never see something like a Disney TV show make sly reference to Shakespeare.

The next page of that Leys essay actually talks about the material destruction in the CR

That's bollocks: the early Qing was great. Don't fall or the anti-Manchu hype propagated by the mafia-led Chinese republicans.

>implying heterogeneity is a good thing.
Hello Schlomo.