Best non-fiction book

Let's give each other some recommendations.

>What's the best non-fiction book you have read?

Me:

Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction

>In Superforecasting, Tetlock and coauthor Dan Gardner offer a masterwork on prediction, drawing on decades of research and the results of a massive, government-funded forecasting tournament. The Good Judgment Project involves tens of thousands of ordinary people—including a Brooklyn filmmaker, a retired pipe installer, and a former ballroom dancer—who set out to forecast global events. Some of the volunteers have turned out to be astonishingly good. They’ve beaten other benchmarks, competitors, and prediction markets. They’ve even beaten the collective judgment of intelligence analysts with access to classified information. They are "superforecasters."

goodreads.com/book/show/23995360-superforecasting

I'm reading Principles: Life and Work right now and it's also a great book. Probably top 3 in my non-fiction list.

goodreads.com/book/show/34536488-principles

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_E._Tetlock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Culture of Critique Series by Kevin McDonald

Dianetics: the modern science of mental health by L Ron Hubbard

I'm going to read that one. Very controversial, but that makes it more interesting. Kevin B. MacDonald certainly has impressive credentials.

Global Warming False Alarm: The Bad Science Behind the United Nations' Assertion That Man-Made CO2 Causes Global Warming by Ralph B. Alexander

>What's the best non-fiction book you have read?
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
If you are at all interested in Microsoft, Apple, Silicon Valley, technology, Bill Gates or (as you expect) Steve Jobs then it is worth reading. Jobs himself was an absolute nutcase, subsisting on diets and battling cancer with homeopathy, and his original vision for Apple has definitely been eroded over time. Very interested and well told /shill

Personally, Superforecasting sounds equivalent to monkeys on typewriters - it may turn out right out of coincidence, not planning.

CoC is memed hard enough I almost wanr to read it.

>Ron Hubbard
Hm, no thanks Tom Cruise.

Seconding this

>Personally, Superforecasting sounds equivalent to monkeys on typewriters - it may turn out right out of coincidence, not planning.
It's really not. It's funny how you used that analogy - it was, at least to a large degree, popularized by Philip E. Tetlock (one of the authors).

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_E._Tetlock

It's about an evidence based (scientific) approach to prediction.

The Greeks and the Irrational by E. R. Dodds

>Personally, Superforecasting sounds equivalent to monkeys on typewriters - it may turn out right out of coincidence, not planning.
Spotted the guy who flunked maths.

Bump.

The fuck is this supposed to mean? There's far too many goddamn nonfiction books on too many topics with too many methodologies to realistically make a list. Do you mean histories? Philosophy? Sociology? What do you mean by nonfiction? Otherwise it's an unworkable topic, since you're comparing apples to oranges to figs to pomegranates

Google the definition of non-fiction if you need to. If you can't pick your favorite than don't post or post one of your favorites.

Scott Pruitt, pls go

In honor of the centenary of the Russian Revolution, I would suggest, "Stalin: Paradoxes of Power." The pre-revolutionary and revolutionary chapters are probably the best. When Kotkin gets into the establishment of the Soviet bureaucracy, it gets about as turgid as you'd expect descriptions of Soviet bureaucracy to be.

The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes

If you're ready to face reality

The book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa

Masterpiece of a book but it's not non-fiction, unless you're making some kind of joke I'm unaware of

The Holy Bible

It used to tickle me to no end to go around Borders putting all the bibles in the Christian Fiction section

Ok

HOUSE OF LEAVES.

It's funny how I read almost exclusively non-fiction but I cannot think of anything to recommend.

that's called being a faggot