/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Dinosaur Edition.
>What enjoyable pre 1990 book are you reading?
>What is it about?
>Recommend a fossil fuel novel that would be enjoyable by persons of today.

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Jynabare-2-R-Jesse-Deneaux/dp/1542570093/
helsinkitimes.fi/culture/14975-worldcon-75-interview-with-author-scott-lynch.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Starmaker by olaf s
Just what you want, human philosophy and god philosophy was pretty shit for me, but you might like it

Just finished Queen of the Black Coast.
>tfw no psychotic exhibitionist pirate queen gf who will protect you beyond the chains of death

I got up to the beginning of book 7 and I couldn't take it anymore. Every book had some contrived new bad guy pop up, and spent half the book introducing all the new characters before anything could happen. Most of the characters ended up dead by the end of each book too.
On top of that Richard spends the entire time being a total bitch. The moment a woman gives him a mean look he rolls over and presents.

>book reading right now
Hero of Dreams by Brian Lumley
>what is it about
Isekai in Lovecraft's Dreamlands
>recommend a fossil fuel
The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard

Yeah tried reading that shit myself, seems like it's the kinda of thing you need to experience as a teenager.

Reading an ass load of pulp in preparation for my own web novel

Thoughts?

Any good action fantasy/sci-fi that focus on an elaborate arena/game show? Anything from standard roman gladiators to stuff like The Running Man (movie more than book, only watched it, think the book was significantly different). Red Rising had a nice one in the first book, already read that.

I liked Debt of Bones back in the day, maybe he would be better off sticking to shorter novels. It's the same vibe I was getting bout Brandon Sanderson after I read The Emperor's Soul.

My biggest issue with it was the constant introduction of new bad guys. Each book is mostly self contained, and that slows the pacing of the overreaching plot down to a crawl. I didn't give a shit about sanctimonious rapist baddie #5 and devoting three quarters of the book to what is essentially an uninteresting monster of the week just made it a drag.
Could be much more readable if all that had just been edited out and the series condensed a bunch.

>What enjoyable pre 1990 book are you reading?
Right now, none. Next book in my read queue is Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, I assume I will enjoy it.
>What is it about?
Lazarus Long, the worlds oldest asshole.
>Recommend a fossil fuel novel that would be enjoyable by persons of today.
The Island of Doctor Moreau

>>Recommend a fossil fuel novel that would be enjoyable by persons of today.
The Worm Ouroboros is the pinnacle of high fantasy. Everything that's come afterwards pales in comparison.

fuck /sffg/ I took your advice and wrote, even when it was coming out shitty. It worked and I made progress but there's so much horrible writing that I'll have to do over.

Im not sure if this was the right choice

That's called a second draft.

Don't write
Don't read
Just shill Peter Watts

...woah

Goodreads is really useless, they make it way too hard to discover new things

Is Hunger Games or Battle Royale too obvious?

Good for a laugh though

>web novel
Distributing it on your own website? Also why are you electing to go this route? Couldn't get a real publisher?

Why is it so hard to find novels where mature beauties are being reamed by a sprouse young buck?

Goodreads is great for keeping track of your reading, your favourite authors and your friends but it's basically worthless for recommendations.

>"get a real publisher"
>submit your manuscript to fifty different agents on the off chance one of them likes it
>if they do they submit it to the Big Five on the off chance an editor there likes it
>if you win this double Powerball congratulations, they will put your book in a few stores with a crappy cover on it and pay you a small royalty
>you still have to promote it though
Real publishers are in a very bad state right now. Not only would he get his work in front of readers much faster, possibly years faster, he might just get more people to read it. It's not like that many authors with real publishers make a living on it anyway.

>Reading an ass load of pulp in preparation for my own web novel
I am doing the same but reading some nonfiction adventure for inspiration. What kind of pulp are you writing?

The first Acts of Caine book

After about a year of adding books their reccomendation algorithm isn't completely awful for me, but it's still pretty fucking bad.

Even a more advanced search system would be helpful. Being able to find books genre tagged a certain way that are released in a certain year or span of years would be great.

Any good superhero novels? Or is that even much of a genre for actual books? I know there's that superheros vs. zombies series, but I'd rather read straight up superhero novels.

Early Worm

Soon I Will Be Invincible was pretty good.

Alright amigos, starting Hyperion now. What am I in for? Also should I just read Hyperion, or also Fall of Hyperion?
Read "Arena" by Fredric Brown. It's only a short story, but you won't regret it.

Was that the one where the spaceman fights the sphere monster? I recall enjoying that one.

Yes, read Fall, it's not as good but it has the same kind of silly grandiosity and it ties up a bunch of loose ends.

Anybody know of a political intrigue kind of story within fantasy or sci-fi? With different houses or clans. I recently read The curse of chalion and it had a bit of this.

That's the one. Fredric Brown is a master of short stories. As for Hyperion, will do. Thanks.

Ryk E. Spoor has a series called "Grand Central Arena" which is about a bunch of astronauts getting marooned on a giant alien space-arena.

The entire Battle Angel Alita series has several game shows on it as I recall. Motorball in the original series and Last Order has a couple tournament arcs in it.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

fuck, I didn't plan my ending well enough and I wrote myself into a corner.

Read "The Traitor Baru Cormorant."

Alternative? (Other than /lit)

That's part of the 'Red Rising' sequence; both noble houses, as well as socio-economic clans. But it's much more on action than world-building.

Very unfortunate. How will you resolve it?

>demonland
>witchland
>impland
Wow nice naming convention

>Im not sure if this was the right choice
It was. You first have to make a mess before cleaning it up. The real writing is in rewriting.

I've thought over how I can fix it with minimal backtracking. Maybe 6 edited sentences, three rewritten paragraphs.

The shitty part is that I'm certain I'm forgetting something and I can't remember what. I was at dinner when I posted this, away from my laptop and unable to make a note...

...and I literally just remembered as I was writing this.

Okay. This? This I can do. That said, it's still going to need re-writing. This action sequence is turning out pretty fucking awful.

Stick another problem in there that's a way out in disguise.

>dinofag wants sff from before 1960 but is mad goodreads is not enabling
Not their failing you don't know to use goodreads' rating system to your advantage faggot. You probably one of those low iq fags who has to be told what the book was about, even after finishing the book yourself.

this be good? just looking for some good fantasy adventure right now, nothing too heavy.

>got yer sword lol

it's historical fiction but Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy is almost purely political chicanery.

the personal recommendations are shit but the 'readers also enjoyed'' thing isn't too bad.

Yes Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles are both worth reading. You can skip The Legends of the First Empire tho.

What is the gist of this, is it as generically potboilerish as it looks?

Quick question for sci-fi aficionados. How are those Expanse novels? Worth reading? I admit, the only science-fiction I've read in years is William Gibson's The Peripheral.

The first two are good enough, but then it all goes downhill.

Tess of the D’Urbervilles was good

Player of Games by Iain Banks
I used to love Goodkind back in the day, the first 4 SOT novels are god-tier and the series quickly goes downhill after that. I picked up the Omen Machine recently and dropped it about halfway through, it was so bad.

I'm going through a rare reading slump and don't have a desire to read anything new. Re-reading old Redwall novels, mostly before bed.

What would you say is your favorite Redwall book?

Seconding this

No.
Yes, it's shit and I don't get why /sffg/ likes it.

They mostly want celebrities, politicians or those who already built their own audience thro' other channels.
Or SJW trend of the month.

Any Pratchett novel featuring Vetinari.

The Goblin Emperor, though I thought it was boring.

Anyone read any other quasi-baudrillard post-human sex robot stuff?

>Yes, it's shit and I don't get why /sffg/ likes it.

For the same reason movie fans like The Last Action Hero, Total Recall, Commando, Universal Soldier, Cobra, Demolition Man, etc.

>i don't like something
>it's shit, how can other people like these things
>my tastes and likes are the base for what everyone should aspire
>like what I like, I know better than you

>tfw just finished heretics of dune
>tfw just finished southern reach trilogy (fuck all three of these books, m8s, don't waste your time)
Fucking christ. Going to read canticle for leibowitz. Putting my faith in you guys.

The Quantum Thief, probably. Really interesting but I think I need to read it again to make sure I got it.

>minority report

There was a pretty funny Dune chart poster here yesterday. I forgot to save it though. Does anyone here tonight have it?

Look in the fucking op, and go to yesterday's thread you fucking lazy ass mouth breather piece of shit.

There aren't any sexbots in Minority Report, though.

No... your pic was minority report

>The Quantum Thief
Reading about it now.
>xenomemory
>extended lifespans
Wow, it really has a lot in common with Jynabare +2. I'll have to check it out.
Thanks.

No, my pic was from an indy book I picked up on Amazon.
amazon.com/Jynabare-2-R-Jesse-Deneaux/dp/1542570093/
Does MP have a similar cover?

In the publishing world it's all about marketing. If you want the publisher to take you seriously then you need to be aggressive in selling yourself, and I mean really aggressive. How you write is almost totally irrelevant, you could be a total hack with no original ideas, but if you self publish and then promote yourself aggressively in every venue you can get access to then you will eventually meet somebody influential who can give you a real publishing deal and it will probably be much, much better than if you had gone the route of submitting a manuscript to them, because now they came to you and will try to entice you by offering you money up front.

But to get that you have to be tenacious, relentless, and shameless. What I described is how Christopher Paolini got published at Knopf Books when he was 21 years old. The man can't write a good book to save his life but he worked his ass off promoting himself for a year to land that publishing deal.

Hey thanks buddy. I never noticed those links before. After I didn't find the previous thread in the catalog, I figured it was gone. Have a great night friendo!

>battle autism
>weaponized memes
>Veeky Forums in novel form
Once you were born and grown here you will enjoy it... although book 2 and 3 is something else..

Are you me?
These are all facts.

Color me intrigued.
I've wanted to esplore weaponized autism for a while now, as per the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

You never saw the movie did you?

I saw the hell out of that movie.
I get what you mean, now that I see the tanks.

Not him but I love the creepy Redwall books like Mattimeo, finding that post-apocalyptic abbey with the old blind rabbit going "doom, doom" in front of it was awesome. Then there was the badger novel where we see the cave paintings of all the badger lords and the future ones are there too. They did so well with just a touch of the supernatural.

can we have the mods ban anyone who further rec's name of the wind?

thanks in advance

I'd rec burning The Name of the Wind, possibly using Rothfuss' beard as fuel

>expect colony building
>get asian space cults instead

Well I guess

My personal favorite is Outcast of Redwall. I definitely identified with the villain as a child (and still do I guess) also:
Mossflower
Pearls of Lutra
Taggerung
Rackety Tam
Canticle is good but super slow, I honestly enjoyed the Wild Horse Woman better. It is somehow more straightforward but still has that weird slightly metaphysical/post-nuclear bent.
Doomwyte is one of the later books and out of the whole series it definitely has an odd, bleak tone that sets it apart. Any of the books are great for a few days of escapism. RIP Brian Jacques

Christ I remember loving the shit out of Redwall. Mossflower was the one with Luke and the Wildcat prince right? And the Owl? Great shit.
I've never forgotten Taggerun either. I don't know what made it so memorable, but it's stuck with me.

I think you're mixing up Mossflower with Legend of Luke.

Could be, it's been a long time. Thinking back it's pretty disconcerting how brutal the books could be considering on the surface it was a series about cute woodland critters.

Pearls of Lutra was amazing, I think I read it three times. Pirate action fighting lizards on an island. Great stuff.

Mossflower's the one where there's an oppressive wildcat noble family living in a castle and Luke redirects a river to drown it. Then he founds Redwall. Legend of Luke was about escaping slavery or something.

Martin is the main character in Mossflower, not his father Luke. Martin the Warrior is the one about escaping slavery. As far as I can remember Legend of Luke is the only Redwall book that Luke is actually in.

You don't think you're inferring a little too much there buddy?

I just got a job at a bookshop and I'm going to rec it to every normie who walks in and there's nothing /sffg/ can do to stop me

Right, right, Martin. Got the names mixed up.

Sounds like you need to re-read those books mah boi!

say it again in a mole accent so the rest of the thread can make fun of you

Eventually somebody is going to start a lynch mob.

speaking of lynch

helsinkitimes.fi/culture/14975-worldcon-75-interview-with-author-scott-lynch.html

>Great! Now for example, George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss get a whole lot of crap from people about being late with their novels...
>[sighs] They do, yes, it’s kind of ridiculous sometimes. Pat gets a tremendous amount of vituperation, online in particular. I mean, George gets it, but George is also kind of above it. George doesn’t really give a shit; George is big enough to not give a shit, and Pat is still, relatively speaking, a little bit closer to his readers and does not quite have a Scrooge McDuck money-bin to dive into just yet. I mean, he doesn’t do badly for himself, but Pat gets, I think, the most vicious of all the online comments, and I just don’t understand it. We are human beings, we are human artists, we produce at the rate we produce, and telling us that you really want our work, but that you fucking hate us and that we should nail ourselves to our desks and produce until it’s finished… it doesn’t make any sense. You can’t have both. "You’re a lazy bastard! Now give me that thing that I really want that’s beautiful, that only you do!" [laughter]

vituperation is a nice word at least

>we produce at the rate we produce
Unless the wrong person is President