E-readers

Hey, Veeky Forums, I want to start reading more and I figured buying an e-reader (and probably pirating everything afterwards) would be much cheaper.
Do you guys use them? Do you recommend them? If yes, wich one?

I have a paperwhite and a KAO and would recommend the paperwhite to most people. I totally get people not liking Amazon and not buying DRM filled bullshit but the paperwhite just werks. I love my KAO but I had to do a lot of 3rd party stuff until I was happy with it.

Used Paperwhite with non-dead battery for ultimate value. New Paperwhite for best value. New Oasis if you're a fat cat. Kobos are sadly laggy trash.

>Kobos are sadly laggy trash
true
i had a kobo and i definitely don't recommend buying it

I have a kobo right now and it's not laggy at all

I already started an e-reader thread. :(
Anyway, had a Paperwhite, definitely recommend. Gave it to a family member and then got a Kobo Glo HD to replace it. Moderately satisfied with some frustrations. Very tempted by the new Oasis.

>I jumped from 3rd storey once and didn't even scratch myself
Good for you. Kobos still experience bootloops, glitch-ridden firmware and have huge lag on normal epubs, which renders their support almost pointless.

Best vs. Ultimate
Hmmmm....

And yeah, just saw it. I searched for "e-reader" before posting this, not specific brands

Hi! I personally prefer real books just because of the notorious feel of the paper in hands and sometimes it is more convenient to make notes in books if you refer to them often. I bought an e-reader for travel and because some books are impossible or too expensive to get in print (e.g. in languages which differ from English or your home/host country language). I bought pocketbook ultra a few years ago and enjoy it immensely. Good luck with your future purchase!

This. The reason I'm only half-satisfied and frustrated with mine was that
>epubs have slow page-turns and won't let you customize fonts so you have to convert them anyway
>can't connect to my computer via USB half the time
>accidentally let but firmware update and it caused it to bootloop constantly and I had to factory reset
>no way to quickly send and synch sideloaded books like Kindle does.
Played with Koreader but I find it ugly and not really useful.

This. I love my 2012 Paperwhite, it does everything I need, except maybe automatic brightness, but I can live without that. Totally compatible with pirating, btw. You just need to sideload downloaded books.

I was actually wondering about this. Leaving the country for a few years soon and I want to get a bunch of books before I go. Is piratebay the best/safest way to get ebooks aside from buying them? Recommendations? Tbh I haven't pirated much of anything in the past.

Libgen.

libgen, myanonamouse

This. If you use both libgen and myanonamouse you'll be fine with 99% of books you might want to read.

Not really, unless you're turbopleb. Bib is out of reach for him though.

If you don't mind occasionally converting formats (if you've got the motivation to pirate instead of One Click On Bezos Dick you probably won't) I'd check out old Nooks. Some of them have replaceable batteries, expandable storage, hardware buttons etc and they are very very inexpensive you disgusting cheapskate WHY DON'T YOU WANT WRITERS TO MAKE A LIVING HUH? The newest turbo one has the same high resolution high dpi display tech as more expensive Kindles, is waterproof, and goes for $60 new. The back cover is full Milo though. I can't believe that faggot's book is selling. Why the hell are people so entertained by provocateurs?

Bib is not really necessary except for rare books or retail editions, which are awesome, but everything else is on freely available website. Don't be such a dick snob, nobody cares here

>
>>Kobos are sadly laggy trash
>true
>i had a kobo and i definitely don't recommend buying it
Woah Woah. I have aura one and it's not sluggish at all.
And it's 6.8" screen fucks every 6" midget gozillion times. Seriously it's like reading real book

Haven't heard of either of those sites but I'll check them out when I get home. Thanks anons! I know how uTorrent works at least so I can figure it how to download stuff from them if they are torrent sites.

>And it's 6.8" screen
7.8 ", damn it

I get books from irc

libgen is not even a torrent site. anonamouse is, and it's not public, but you have to pass an extremely easy interview through irc to get in. Don't skip it, it's worth it.

What's bib?

>Bib is not really necessary
Keep telling yourself that, pajeet.

>Aura One
>costs $200+
>battery smaller than your micropenis
No, thanks.

Bibliotik. A torrent site dedicated to retail ebooks.

Ah. Private I assume?

I have a Nook simple touch (from back before glowlight) and I hate this crashing laggy shit. I got it for $50 during a sale and it's worth that much; turning a page takes a full second to switch and sometimes there is ghosting in the e-ink display and you need to flip between a few pages to fix it.

The battery is bad. When using it, it will last about 24 hours. When it's in sleep mode, it will only last about 4-5 days. Turning it fully off (40 second boot time) between uses is the only way to extend time between charges.

The screen is inset, probably a cm below the bezel, and there is no way to possibly clean around the edges properly. There is a permanent rectangle of dust and crud around the screen's edges.

On top of that, the nook firmware is just bad and not at all intuitive. It can only display 6 books at a time, and because screen response time is so abysmal, searching through a library of 100 books takes an immense amount of patience. The only alternative library view involves creating custom shelves which contain the books you choose, but then clicking on the shelf brings you to the same shitty 6 book view.

Books with images are useless. The covers all muddle together too, because it's only got a 167DPI screen, so you need to look at the titles more often than not, to figure out what book you're looking at. But switching it to a list view, which is text only, decreases the shown number of books to 5, for some reason.

i'm a cheap shit though and refuse to buy a new one until this breaks or it causes me to kill myself, whichever comes first

Didn't they stop making nooks anyway?
I have one and it's passable. Won't do pdfs or images without being annoyingly slow but I can live without that.

i've never tried libgen or myanonymouse, but you can find most any popular book with a google search for: (book name) site:mobilism.org

well you bought the most pricey one, you could only expect it to at least function properly

>dat spoiler
Ahoy matey! There's the spirit! I have a nice-and-heavy 1st gen and refuse to buy a new one, even for $20.

Give it to me straight, doc, should I shovel out the dough for dat Oasis or should I learn to love my Kobo Glo HD?

Keep it, really not worth the upgrade.

Thanks, friend.

Bump.