Self Publishing

Why aren't you doing it, user?
Just picked us some pocket change from something I wrote years ago.

Also, self-publishing general

I am.

If you self publish it's only because you're not good enough to be actually published.

1. I haven't written anything that anyone would be interested in
2. I don't write in english, so it's an even smaller market
3. It seems tedious

If I finish a book I want to do it so no idiot bothers me with 'correct language'. If the book would fail due to its language: well that is the risk I want to take.

You got four female family members to buy your CreateSpace book? Well done. I'm sure they'll actually read this one when they're not busy working.

>why so bully
Jokes on you. I have no female relatives at all.

>no idiots bothering me
Agreed 100%. Publishers have all types of ideas about what your book _should_ be, especially as a new author.
Self publishing gives the biggest cut per book, and the author has total creative control.
It's a great place to hone one's craft.

You have at least one, fucknut.

> what is gay adoption

Gay adoption is when a same sex couple adopt a child.

Not really. Publishers are businesses, has nothing to do with being "good".

Actually It's both, every large publishing company publishes good but unprofitable works for tax purposes and literary cred.

>every large publishing company publishes good but unprofitable works

Bull-fucking-shit

I know of small and even midsized publishers who will publish books they don't like when needed just to meet some quotas and not lose grants or tax credits. Being published traditionally means less and less (there's pretty much no market where I am, but I'm still not ready to self-publish).

As someone who has self-published, don't. OP's pocket change is a rare success believe it or not. Go traditional or don't bother.

>literally no idea how the publishing industry works

Are you saying that you self-published and didn't even manage to break double digit sales?
Can you not into self promotion at all?

You're suppose to send manuscripts to publishers before you start working on the full book, user

You're wrong, look it up.

Look what up?

Personally I'm just confident I can do everything they can do more cheaply. They don't know how to fucking price books correctly. I see books tanking at 20 bucks which would sell well at 5. Also they follow the market too closely, as Ford would say "If you asked the customer in 1905 what kind of car they wanted, they would say a horse drawn buggy," the point is the customers don't know shit, and following them guarantees nothing except being late to the party.

my mother's dead asshole

Look up if you need to finish the book or not before sending out queries to agents.

Wouldn't it just be easier to send out manuscripts, if it were to get published you wouldn't have to face crushing dissapointed had you written a whole book

Nonfiction can work this way, but fiction needs to be complete before you bother anyone with it.

Why would a publisher commit to paying you for an as-yet unwritten book? If you have so little faith in your writing then that's on you.

I recall reading that something like 5 in 6 novels make a loss, but the 1 in 6 that are profitable compensate

>If you self publish it's only because you're not brown/gay enough to be actually published.

>Henry Ford
>The quote is actually
>“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
This is Veeky Forums God dammit. Get it right.
I agree with everything else you have said.
This is a golden age of DIY publishing, and people (especially new authors) are making more money by themselves than shit book deals would have made them in the past.

It is something like that. Record industry is the same
>Remember kids, the label "deal" you get is actually a loan. They want. Ever. Dime. Back.