QTDDTOT

Questions that dont deserve their own thread.

What is the best companion book to read Kant with? Not a translation but a guide to help me understand his message.

Kant was wrong. are you reading for historical context?

You're in luck. The new Cambridge translations, conducted by the Kant scholar, Guyer, completely replace the traditional Norman Kemp Smith version and they also come with very good companion volumes - both to Kant's individual books and to his thought in general. Cambridge Companions series.

Make sure you get the Guyer translations. The introductions themselves are enough to understand Kant.

You must be invested to keep returning to Lit. How does one invest one's self in an user outcome? The keks are few in this parcel. The knowledge must be sifted through a b.s. filter. Is it a mirror you like holding up?

About what? He was extremely prolific. (You don't need to answer, I already know you haven't read him).

I think therefore I am.

No need for you to reply, since you haven't read him yet, either.

Can anyone really enjoy chapter 3 of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? Seriously, once they go on the retreat and the priest starts talking about Hell it just becomes the most boring shit imaginable, sure the imagery is vivid but it's hard to take seriously, especially given that it feels, now, kind of derivative.

I have a degree in philosophy you brainlet, I've read just about his whole oeuvre.

Is it more beneficial to read an introduction before the book itself, in hopes that it helps contextualize or familiarize you with what you are about to read? Or is it better to come back and read the introduction afterwards, so that your initial impressions and observations aren't colored by the intro and can then be compared and contrasted against it? Or do you simply not bother with introductions, in general?

Then you've learned little of consciousness. how sad, ego boy.

Come to the end of understanding, thought forms, and story making.

yet you can't prove I think therefore I am, what was all that education bother for then!

on the internet everyone is a Philosophy Major. What about Major Bullshit?

The absolute state of Veeky Forums.
OP you don't want companion book, just make sure you're well acquainted with Descartes and Hume (especially Hume). Kant isn't all that hard to comprehend once you understand what his goals are in writing these works. His ideas are actually remarkably contemporary (although his syntax is anything but).

The answer is, no.

Fiction = content then intro
nonfiction depends on desired outcome like personal use or study

Im looking for rhat one book with a black cross and a bunch of cyrillic on its cover
A long time ago it was posted here and on pol as an anti jewish book and it has something to do with a frog
Im so morbidly curious and need at least an image of its cover to help me figure out what the hell it is and why I was unable to find any info about it in the past.

I want to read more self-help, business, positive mindset type books.
Something that has some value lessons and could help me be a better person and exceed in my career.

So far the only one I've read and enjoyed was how to win friends and influence people. What are some other good ones?

I usually skim through the intro and see if it provides useful context. it usually doesn't.

What should I be familiar with before diving into the major works of the Frankfurt School?

I want to pick up a dictionary. I think it will be nice to have beside the book I'm currently reading. I think the issue is that often with translated works, or even English works written by a foreign author, a lot of foreign words find their way sneaking in. However, my biggest issues are when reading the likes of Poe, where some words are have been out of the modern vocabulary for so long and are in an unfamiliar sentence structure, that I just haven't got a clue what he's talking about.

Which is the best dictionary?

Read something on basic body language and that's it. There's not much else worth reading in the genre. It's full of hacks and common sense 101 depth. Coelho-tier bullshit for suit-and-tie businessman #6426482, except maybe you won't post inspirational excerpts with "so true it be like that" commentary on Facebook.

Any recommendations?

And what exactly is wrong with changing the way you think and act around others?

How to win friends and influence really taught me how to talk to others. Has tips that I use almost everyday.

I need books about the friendship between girls/women

Should I be taking notes while reading to aid in retention and understanding, or just get comfy and read?

"Nightwood" by Djuna Barnes. It's one of the best novels of high-modernism.

I was going to recommend the same book, but I was certainly going to caveat the suggestion. I'm far more Classical in my mindset, so 'high-modernism' is not my style of choice. That being said, there are certainly interesting and intriguing, if not downright beautiful, parts and passages within 'Nightwood' - even if I disliked the book by most measures.

> modern warfare and military prowess are only the consequence of the development of logistics as a science.

Do you have any book that broaches the concept of logistics in depth and scientifically?

I remember some user mentioning a list of modern classics done by Bloom, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone got a link?

Depends on whether you read for enjoyment or to study (required reading at ink etc.)

If both, I write an essay or summary on important thoughts and chapters in the book. For Camus - The Pest I wrote about the different attitudes towards death and heroism as portrayed in the book in 2 essays, for example.

Forgot to mention that I always write my notes after I finished the book. Sometimes you miss a lot by writing early notes.

I'm interested roughly in the experience of a person embarking on a voyage from Europe to Americas in circa 17th century. Are there any good books dealing with this or written accounts? Generally interested in everything about that Age of Sail/Exploration 16th-18th century era. From the technicalities of the voyage itself, to exploration, to settlement or trade, to reasons for embarking on such an "adventure", to the various types of people you might encounter and their customs (from crews, other passengers, communication with indigenous people etc.)...honestly just about everything dealing with that timeframe would be interesting to me but ideally not a in a dry historical sense where facts just get recounted without context but a more personal approach (yet not pure fiction).

So any suggestions on what should I read that contains this or some elements of this?

I fucking hate all of you. Most of you are hollow shells, retards, pseuds of the worst kind, virgins, resentful and hateful nolifes, empty on the inside.
Yet, for some obscure reason, I can't stop myself from coming to this godforsaken pit of human garbage, and this makes me worse than all of you.

Any books for this feel?

Thanks. I suppose I'm reading for enjoyment primarily, but I'd like to go deeper than a surface level analysis. I'll try that method, though I'm worried I won't actually know what's important and by writing my thoughts I'll be reinforcing a completely worthless interpretation.

I never had a tertiary education (high school English classes were a joke) and I didn't realize until lurking here that reading was more than just consuming all the words in order until the pages ran out.

T--thanks?

Try The Stranger, Catcher in the Rye, maybe the short stories of Thomas Ligotti.

Notes from Underground.

Where do I start with Haruki Murikami?

Greeks
Bible
Kant, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger
Dilthey, Durkheim, Weber
Freud

For Habermas add:
G. H. Mead, Talcott Parsons, Jean Piaget, C.S. Peirce, Dewey, Wittgenstein, J.L. Austin, Horkheimer, Adorno, Marcuse

Plato's Dialogues. He references Plato like crazy especially Timaeus and Sophist.

>OP you don't want companion book, just make sure you're well acquainted with Descartes and Hume (especially Hume). Kant isn't all that hard to comprehend once you understand what his goals are in writing these works. His ideas are actually remarkably contemporary (although his syntax is anything but).
shit I am only slightly familiar with Descartes and Hume. I was under the impression that Kant is trying to merge the rationalists and empiricists and I have read a little of both Descartes and Hume. I cant drop Kant though as Im borrowing the book so I want to read it before I return it. Thanks for answer as well.

If you are reading a text that is not a fiction novel I suggest writing notes about terms or definitions. When reading a philosophy book i will write down some things as I will get lost occasionally in the authors language.

Which is the most literal English translation of the Qu'ran?
>inb4 read it in Arabic you fucking kafir

Does Veeky Forums take notes when reading for leisure?
Is it pretentious to take notes/write an essay for myself just to get the most out of it?

A famous quote from Kant:
>David Hume’s attack on metaphysics was more decisive for its fate than any other event... it was the remembrance of David Hume which, many years ago, first interrupted my dogmatic slumber and gave my investigations in the field of speculative philosophy a completely different direction.

His metaphysics is more or less a direct response to Hume. Don't worry OP, if you really want to get into Kant you wont be reading it just once.

Has anyone ever been as far as to read anything by Thiong'o? He's always there in the Nobel hype and I'm curious if there's anything interesting there or if it's just the postcolonial hypetrain.

Which book is a good introduction/survey to/of his writing?

Just do whatever you're comfortable with. I like taking notes

Need some short stories to cheer me up when I'm feeling down

Norwegian Woods is supposed to be good I've heard

You will need pic related, which references essential tafsir. The Qu'ran is immensely over-determined.

Norwegian Wood or After Dark. Both are short and are introducing you into Murakami's style.

OED

Am I a pleb for not enjoying Under the Volcano?

trips say you don't.