It'd be a shame if it were bad

It'd be a shame if it were bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>radically contemporary

It's gonna suck, regardless of gender

Oh no

There's nothing new she can bring to the table. If I were her, I'd do something very stupid like remove all instances of rape and muh soggy knee, just so that retards like you give me free publicity.

Also sage for shit thread.

So don't fucking read it.

>b-but I really want a circle-jerk thread! Please pat me on the back
Yeah, it's shit. Now fuck off

Odyssey at a 6th grade reading level. Great. Kids could be learning it in Greek but public school teachers can't be bothered tbqh.

>implying you can improve on Fitzgerald
also, Fagles is for faggots and Pope for ponces

slovenlyjewishmanwincing.png
The school of resentment has won, haven't they?

I doubt they've burned the other versions.

>Pope for ponces
>Fitzgerald reader
This is why you never listen to the Fitzgerald readers, kids.

Absolutely awful. Fagles version looks a million times better holy shit.

>it's good because a woman did it!

I can't wait for the first Muslim to translate the Odyssey into English, then we'll really have diversity.

>muh heroic couplets
Don't "kids" anyone, you insufferable homosexual.

>implying you can improve on Fitzgerald
Fagles did you insufferable antiquarian.

I never thought I'd say this but she makes Fagles look brilliant...

It's not bad. She keeps a 10 beat metre which makes it fun to read unlike fagles whose is basically a (well done) prose translation.

Edit: why am I being downvoted?

>no mention of Lattimore

kek

>insufferable antiquarian.
Pleb spotted

Women are naturally more adept at translation because they are submissive and yielding to the authors style and meaning. This only applies when a woman translates a mans work though. Women women translations are notoriously awful

Fagles is so fucking bad

The man for wisdom's various arts renown'd,
Long exercised in woes, oh Muse! resound;
Who, when his arms had wrought the destined fall
Of sacred Troy, and razed her heaven-built wall,
Wandering from clime to clime, observant stray'd,
Their manners noted, and their states survey'd,
On stormy seas unnumber'd toils he bore,
Safe with his friends to gain his natal shore:
Vain toils! their impious folly dared to prey
On herds devoted to the god of day;
The god vindictive doom'd them never more
Ah, men unbless'd! to touch that natal shore.
Oh, snatch some portion of these acts from fate,
Celestial Muse! and to our world relate.

you're trying to push a poseur bitch boy from a more fleeting form over pope, son, nobody's coming on to you from any quarter. you have no taste and so much undeserved arrogance.

Nise

wtf I love Fagles now

It's been translated into woman-speak.

Pope is a fucking genius

Tell me, Muse, of the man of many ways, who was driven
far journeys, after he had sacked Troy’s sacred citadel.
Many were they whose cities he saw, whose minds he learned of,
many the pains he suffered in his spirit on the wide sea,
struggling for his own life and the homecoming of his companions.
Even so he could not save his companions, hard though
he strove to; they were destroyed by their own wild recklessness,
fools, who devoured the oxen of Helios, the Sun God,
and he took away the day of their homecoming

Eh

I fucking hate Pope's translation. Shit like this encourages shitty poetry to be written.

You know this White Sharia stuff is starting to sound like a pretty good idea.

>Tell me about a complicated man
>a complicated man
>complicated man

never mind which is a more accurate translation into contemporary english, I hate women!

Hahahaha what the fuck is this.

>a complicated man

This shit is hilarious

>A woman translating the Odissey is considered an interesting news in Amerilard land

In the article she goes through her reasoning for the first line so i was expecting some thought to put into it and she goes with 'complicated' of all things.

this shit doesnt even rhyme lol

Rate how complicated you are
im like a 6.7/10

roasties get out

APOLOGIZE TO FAGLES Veeky Forums

Fagles is fun as fuck
The people who don't like the translation are contrarians who flunked their classic's seminar

>give me free publicity
wilson detected

Tell me, Muse, of the man of many turns, who was driven
far and wide after he had sacked the sacred city of Troy.
Many were the men whose cities he saw, and learnt their minds,
many the sufferings on the open sea he endured in his heart,
struggling for his own life and his companions' homecoming.
Even so he could not protect them, though he desired it,
since they perished by reason of their own recklessness,
the fools, because they ate the cattle of the Sun, Hyperion,
and he took away the day of their homecoming. Tell us, too,
goddess daughter of Zeus, starting from where you will.

Anthony Verity lets Homer speak for himself.

>who he met

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end,
after he plundered the stronghold
on the proud height of Troy.

T.E. Lawrence translated the Odyssey? T.E. Lawrence, as in, Lawrence of Arabia/Seven Pillars of Wisdom T.E. Lawrence....?

Correct.

Seems awful to be a contemporary woman writer. People will laud you as something you're not, "radical"...its the worst sort of marketing. She translated the Odyssey, she's not a radical...FUCK

wtf, I had no idea at all of this

It's 300 years old dummy

An absolutely dull, lifeless translation.

>i want the 3rd grade audience

I'm not saying that her translation is a work of poetry, but its simple and straightforward - which has its own merits. If you have someone entering literature for the first time, why not recommend Wilson's translation? The unexperienced reader gets the narrative of the Odyssey in plain and uncomplicated prose/poetry. If you want the heights of the literary experience, you will come back to Homer - as many have - and you can read another, better translation.

I absolutely love Pope. He's the handsdown master of the couplet - even if some seem a bit weak or dated.

You just have an inherent bias against AABB - don't get me wrong, so do I, but Pope has some knockout couplets in the Essay of Man and a lot of his other works.

I agree. Still, is there anything more radical (which comes from the Latin 'radix', meaning root (related to the word radish)) than going back to the 'roots' of the tradition?

This is the ultimate test of plebness, woman-fearing retards who think Fagles is remotely readable.

i think it was samuel johnson who said, "that's beautiful, but it's not homer."

FUCKING THIS! AHHHHHH

user it's awful what are you trying to do

>Translating "πολὐτροπον" into "complicated"

Absolutely disgusting.

>πολὐτροπον
Why are there math symbols in there?

>Why are there math symbols in there?
c/d o lemma to a theorem u tau function resistance coefficient o c/d o v

It's in the dictionary.
That makes it ok.

>It literally says that when referring to Odisseus can mean only those three things

It's still a horrible translation to use for epic poetry.

youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ&

>Lattimore

>cannot into dictionaries
It says right there in your image that it means complicated when in reference to diseases.

The goal of this translation is to be modern and accessible. Whether you like it or not, whom is outdated.

>woman-fearing
skinnyfat numale spotted

Lattimore is fucking garbage.

Honest question, why? I’m trying to pick which translation I want to read first. So, why do you think Fagles is bad?

>bitch, rap on that twisted-up nigga
god, i love things that are modern and accessible.

you're a pleb and you dont know anything about poetry. you lack aesthetic sensibility and you will never amount to anything. kys.

Yass

>Suddenly Veeky Forums love Fagels
Fagels is shit I can't belive that I wasted time to read his translation. Read Fitzgerald instead.

I'm not sure why I thought of this but her translation reminds me of sawtooth wave when Fagle's a sinusoidal.

>appeals to the modern audience

why? Can you give me a couple of reasons, please? Not to be annoying, I am actually interested. I am

Fagles uses contemporary phrasing and "smooth" verse that makes it read like a dumbed down prose rendition.
Lattimore is terse but accurate
Fitzgerald is more poetic
Pope is a poetic reinterpretation in couplet that is part of the english canon in it's right
Chapman is kind of a meme because of Keats
There are screencaps of Lattimore, Pope, Fagles and Butler (prose so disregard) ITT

Fagles
#

Lattimore
#

Pope

Fuck wrong one
This is Pope>

So, how does that make Fagles bad? I don’t see how this is bad if you haven’t read any other translations?

Pope's version reads like tipycal neoclassical wankery
Not that the other are better
Just read it in greek

but how do I learn classical Greek or even Latin? I'm terrible with languages already, so the idea of learning one that's not even used anymore is just daunting

Yes. This is good.

>>So, how does that make Fagles bad?
... see ->
>Fagles uses contemporary phrasing and "smooth" verse that makes it read like a dumbed down prose rendition.
It's the pleb version, no doubt
>>I don’t see how this is bad if you haven’t read any other translations?
What? That literally doesn't make any sense, if you try this hard to justify Fagles just do it.
Plot twist the Greek version isn't good I hear it's worse than the OT, w/o KJV embellishment

You don't have to

The honest answer is, all of the translations are worth reading, based on the research I've done. people who completely shit all over other translations have probably just read a single translation. Just read some of the excerpts posted ITT and decide. I've only read Fitzgerald due to his being praised on Veeky Forums and I greatly enjoyed. I plan on reading Pope when I next pick Homer up.

>radically contemporary
Oh boy here we fucking go. Did she ever consider that something written thousands of years ago probably SHOULDN'T be re-written in a radically contemporary manner? You know; it probably loses a little something something because of it wouldn't you think?

And here's the fucking proof. Jesus this is bad. It's literally just dumbed down. There's no insight here or artistic flair. All this does is make me think that in a few years we'll have 'Odyssey - Emoji version', or 'Odyssey - Ebonics version'.

Don't forget Lombardo

>all of the translations are worth reading

Even this one?

>implying South Africans are people and can publish books

>women

how can /pol/ look at shit like this and think that Jews are the real problem? Anti-femitism is the reddest pill there is

I was going to write a "funny" dumbed down version of this but realized that I can't dumb down this retarded shit any more than she already has.

>prose so disregard
Why would it even matter if it's a fucking translation of a 3000 year old text? If I were an alien, this planet would be marked for destruction after reading your inane comment on Butler.

>Odyssey - Ebonics version'.
I'll give it a shot.

Holla at me bout a whack ass nigga.
Who got all fucked up and wrecked my nigga Troy's crib.
And spend all mothafucking day tryna get his homies back to the projects.
But he bitched out and had to hold this big ass L.
Couldn't stop em from robbing that Popeyes and now they all upstate doing five to ten.
Take it way back and tell me bout this nigga.

>Tell me about a complicated man