Favorite book in the Bible?

Mine is definitely Ecclesiastes . It reads like a Dostoevsky book.

This video sums it up perfectly.
youtube.com/watch?v=VeUiuSK81-0&t=116s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GswSg2ohqmA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The one where Thor fights against (((Jörmungandr))).

Enoch

Book of Job, obviously.

2 Kings. I can see how that video would appeal to coastal urbanites.

I agree with you for 'best' book

Most fun however are Joshua and Judges imo.

I just finished Job a couple of days ago, and have to say that I was disappointed in the ending. I was waiting for a real explanation or at least some enlightening lesson for Job, but instead God says "don't question me, can you control thunder?" and other things like that. Then when Job admits defeat, God one ups with the Behemoth and Leviathan stories, totally unnecessary in my opinion and didn't really add anything for me. It reminded me of playground arguments that would end with "well my dad could beat up your dad."

I'm not a bible expert (as I said, just reading it now for the first time), do you have a more sophisticated interpretation of the last ~4 chapters of Job?

Something interesting to note is that Elihu is not mentioned any time before his passage where he jumps in like a young Socrates and refutes all of their arguments and he isn't mentioned by God either. Elihu argues that (if memory serves) after all other arguments have been refuted, a divine comforter will come and save you from the pits of hell and testify for you. Elihu is basically explaining his curious role in the story. It is possible that the Elihu part was added later, but I'd recommend re-reading his speech if you're interested. On of my favorite parts of the Bible and it helped me understand Job and God's speech at the end (God says the arguments of the first three are wrong but not Elihu). Elihu's arguments are super Platonic

Hmm ok, I'll re-read that part I guess. I don't consider it canon by the way, as he wasn't even mentioned when the three others were, and it all seems a bit out of place.

Well I'm going to do a full overview of the whole thing first, then I will dive back in out to go more in depth with issues like these.

Song of Songs
Bloch translation

Get the Orthodox Study Bible. The footnotes are invaluable, drawing from the Fathers of the Church. Don't listen to the coffee-shop neoplatonist who replied to you before. The Bible only makes sense in a Christian context.

You wouldn't go to a Muslim if you were trying to understand Hindu texts. If you want to understand Christian Scriptures, go to Christian sources.

Books of Kings.

Nah that's a bit rich. I don't care for partizanship, I jsut care that the critic is knowledgable. For most of my sources I don't even know what religion they are, or if they even are religious. It doesn't matter for me.

Tough to choose. I like the wisdom books, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Songs. Also Isaiah, Jeremiah, Genesis and Exodus as well.

/thread

Job is my favorite book in the Bible and the ending is brilliant but context is everything. I believe the Bible main purpose is the revelation of Jesus Christ as the Son of God. But in Job's time he hasn't been revealed yet. So as Job cries out to God the reason for his suffering he cannot understand that there is still meaning in life for Christ has not come and God will not say except for all the rhetorical questions he asks him, with the implied answer of 'No. You cannot know.'

Same, it is amazing. I'm really glad I can read Hebrew, the original tongue is beautiful and soul-crushing. And the ending of course very uplifting and full of light. I come to read again in this book often.

Pathetic and embarrassing attempt, /pol/tard.

Since we're talking about Job, why does god have idle chats with satan? I'm reading faust and in it Mephistopheles remarks on it, so I think back to Job. What's up?

Book of Wisdom; it's the only one you need.

>And this is the false argument they use, 'Our life is short and dreary, there is no remedy when our end comes, no one is known to have come back from Hades. We came into being by chance and afterwards shall be as though we had never been. The breath in our nostrils is a puff of smoke, reason a spark from the beating of our hearts; extinguish this and the body turns to ashes, and the spirit melts away like the yielding air. In time, our name will be forgotten, nobody will remember what we have done; our life will pass away like wisps of cloud, dissolving like the mist that the sun's rays drive away and that its heat dispels. For our days are the passing of a shadow, our end is without return, the seal is affixed and nobody comes back. 'Come then, let us enjoy the good things of today, let us use created things with the zest of youth: take our fill of the dearest wines and perfumes, on no account forgo the flowers of spring but crown ourselves with rosebuds before they wither, no meadow excluded from our orgy; let us leave the signs of our revelry everywhere, since this is our portion, this our lot! 'As for the upright man who is poor, let us oppress him; let us not spare the widow, nor respect old age, white-haired with many years. Let our might be the yardstick of right, since weakness argues its own futility. Let us lay traps for the upright man, since he annoys us and opposes our way of life, reproaches us for our sins against the Law, and accuses us of sins against our upbringing. He claims to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord. We see him as a reproof to our way of thinking, the very sight of him weighs our spirits down; for his kind of life is not like other people's, and his ways are quite different. In his opinion we are counterfeit; he avoids our ways as he would filth; he proclaims the final end of the upright as blessed and boasts of having God for his father. Let us see if what he says is true, and test him to see what sort of end he will have. For if the upright man is God's son, God will help him and rescue him from the clutches of his enemies. Let us test him with cruelty and with torture, and thus explore this gentleness of his and put his patience to the test.Let us condemn him to a shameful death since God will rescue him -- or so he claims.' This is the way they reason, but they are misled, since their malice makes them blind. They do not know the hidden things of God, they do not hope for the reward of holiness, they do not believe in a reward for blameless souls. For God created human beings to be immortal, he made them as an image of his own nature; Death came into the world only through the Devil's envy, as those who belong to him find to their cost.

>Bible poetically smashing nihilists 2000 years before they even live.

The one where Jesus killed a guy for making fun of him

It was Infancy Gospel of Thomas

oh, and killed a child

plus Jesus the dragon tamer

>such wisdom
>much timelessness
>very source of morality

i second this, the qoelet is the peak of universal pessimism

>Wisdom is brilliant, she never fades. By those who love her, she is readily seen, by those who seek her, she is readily found.
>13 She anticipates those who desire her by making herself known first.
>14 Whoever gets up early to seek her will have no trouble but will find her sitting at the door.
>15 Meditating on her is understanding in its perfect form, and anyone keeping awake for her will soon be free from care.
>16 For she herself searches everywhere for those who are worthy of her, benevolently appearing to them on their ways, anticipating their every thought.
>17 For Wisdom begins with the sincere desire for instruction, care for instruction means loving her,
>18 loving her means keeping her laws, attention to her laws guarantees incorruptibility,
>19 and incorruptibility brings us near to God;
>20 the desire for Wisdom thus leads to sovereignty.
>21 If then thrones and sceptres delight you, monarchs of the nations, honour Wisdom, so that you may reign for ever.
>22 What Wisdom is and how she was born, I shall now explain; I shall hide no mysteries from you, but shall follow her steps from the outset of her origin, setting out what we know of her in full light, without departing from the truth.
>23 Blighting envy is no companion for me, for envy has nothing in common with Wisdom.
>24 In the greatest number of the wise lies the world's salvation, in a sagacious king the stability of a people.
>25 Learn, therefore, from my words; the gain will be yours.

>church fathers
>not influenced by Plato
How bout no
Also the Old Testament of the OSB is from the Septuagint, a translation that uses all available sources is better for a general reader.

Satan is the Hebrew word for "adversary", when Job was written, Satan hadn't been identified with the devil yet and was an accusing angel in God's heavenly court. Jews still see Satan in this way. The Satan of Job is like a divine prosecutor, he's putting the case against job and acting as an adversary to him.

The guys who did the video in OP's post also made one on the book of Job

youtube.com/watch?v=GswSg2ohqmA

The Book of Enoch