Times Veeky Forums ruined your life

>be me.
>Been single for the last 3 years.
>like I don't even know what that thing between my legs is for anymore.
>get bold on dating site and message this 8/10 cutie with some autistic message with my retarded brand of humour
>she's actually into it
>we're totally hitting it off
>talking about the food we like, books that we like to read.
>Then I pull out the Greeks.
>Hit her with some Plato dialogue and ask her to choose between the Cynics and the Athenians
>radio silence
How can I go back to normie books so grils will like me?

FPBP

That what happens when you don't start with the Greeks

"Wait so like, you didn't even start with the pre-socratics, omg, user, do you even now how important they are to Hegel and Heidegger?"

>Not starting with a Cuneiform joke

Dude you can't just rush in with Plato.

Just wait till you try discussing German idealism with a normie

If that was the issue then she was probably bound to pick the Athenians anyway.
>mfw no comfy barrel wife.

If she didn't know anything about the Greeks, why didn't you try something easier? For example; quickly expain the Crito-Socrates situation, and then ask her if she thinks Socrates should try to escape. Although I do laud your effort of trying to engage her with the material.

>Not picking them
You a stemfag or something?

>being team Athenian
Enjoy your miserable materialist life!

Do the fags who create these images rely on nothing else besides the motivation behind some kind of eternal Veeky Forums machine wherein they think they’re contributing to the community?

>he thinks ps is hard

giggles m8

>implying

Maybe it's fun

Holy

HARRY POTTER

i love these memes
is this one referencing a particular story or is pepe just a reference to the turtle infinite regression argument?

Probably just a reference Zeno's paradox involving a slow runner and Achilles.

>at bar
>girl pulls up next to me
>give a 45 minute lecture on the nature of greek pederasty

>You: Hey.
>Her: *looks you over... hey he's kind of cute* Hey *wink*
>You: YOU KNOW I'M SICK OF PEOPLE CLAIMING THAT PEDERASTY WAS HIGHLY NORMALIZED IN GREEK CULTURE. PEOPLE ARE JUST TAKING CERTAIN HISTORICAL FACTS AND QUOTATIONS OUT OF CONTEXT....
>45 minutes later
>AND SO WHAT IF SOME OF THEM DID. SHOULD THAT REALLY DETRACT FROM HOW WE FEEL ABOUT ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY AS A WHOLE?

>why do autistic NEETs spend their time scribbling down narratives from imagination

Those two images are both references to Godel Escher Bach which does make use of the Achilles and the Tortoise example of Zeno's paradox.

By "Those two" I mean the one posted and pic related as they're the two variants.

>Be me.
>Second week of university.
>My tutorial teacher has been talking about free will and determinism. He asks what determinism actually means.
>I'm the only one to raise their hand. "It's like when you believe you're completely embedded in the natural world. It's a completely materialist view... It's naturalistic."
>"Yep, materialist, naturalist. Yep." The teacher replies, nodding.
>"Um, I think the word is... epicurean. Where you believe everything is reducible to the atom."
>The teacher raises his eyebrows, surely impressed by my sheer vocabulary. "It's atomist. Yes..."
>"I don't know... it's weird. I don't understand how anyone can actually believe in it"
>"You don't UNDERSTAND? What?" The teacher asks, shocked, turning away. "Okay, who in here believes in determinism?"
>Then around three-quarters of the class raise their hand, some had given me strange looks as I'd talked. It'd only been about a week's worth of set readings (Nagel on Dennett, as well as Dennett) that convinced them.

I'm not sure why this moment haunts me, but it does. Not really Veeky Forums's fault though, only my own.

kek

for

>I don't understand how anyone can believe in rigorous ancient philosophical thought
I'm more surprised why you were so incredulous to the class agreeing with it

I think most of them believed it because brain = chemicals bro

It was a cognitive science course, after all.

id shoot a spitball at the back of your fucking geek ass head. saged.

unless you believe in some kind of transcendental force, every part of our being is just cause and effect including what we perceive to be our will

nice pasta