Horror Recommendations?

I just read The Willows and holy fuck was that a creepy tale. If you don't know anything about it it's a sort of cosmic horror tale of unexplainable phenomenons surrounding some hapless campers. The obvious go-to is HP Lovecraft but I'm hoping I could get some recommendations of other similar authors or stories or just good horror in general, preferably audio books because I never find myself sitting down doing anything but drawing

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/275470.The_Haunted_Looking_Glass
nyrb.com/products/the-haunted-looking-glass?variant=1094932021
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_of_Hill_House
hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The best of Jim Baens Universe/The World Turned Upside Down/0743498747__15.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try some Clark Ashton Smith, his Penguin collection for example. Comfiest horror you'll ever read, if I am allowed such a blunt oxymoron. Prepare your dictionary.

Read The Wendigo too

That was a weird one: a superb first half about the nature and an almost comically bad and gringy second half about the monster itself.

Try reading Robert Aickman. He's underread. He's skilled at writing the "what the hell happened" of nebulous horror.

Try The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen, nice and short, spooky as fuck.

Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E Howard are both very much like Lovecraft.

Anything by Brian Evenson and Laird Barron.

I think what you're looking for is called 'Weird fiction', a subgenre of horror

Unexplainable creepiness, HP Lovecraft is the founder you could say.

From the modern writers Laird Barron and Thomas Ligotti are probably the best ones. My favorite writer who's only barely connected to this genre is Bruno Schulz.

Jeff VanderMeer (I liked his Annihilation) put out a very nice compendium of weird fiction a few years ago called The Weird, more than a thousand pages with stories from most authors mentioned in this thread, that one should be a great starting point for you!

I second Jeff Vandermeer's Weird collection. (It includes stories by many of the writers mentioned in this thread)

Another editor to look out for is ST Joshi, he's the guy behind the penguin classics weird/horror releases. (Including the Clark Ashton Smith one mentioned earlier)

Michael Cisco is a contemporary weird fiction author worth a look, I recommend starting with "Animal Money"

Anything by Thomas Ligotti.

The Great God Pan, The Hill of Dreams, and The White People, by Arthur Machen

I read the White People and other stories but Machen just doesn't do it for me. It's like a Sherlock Holmes story where the horror or mystery is revealed in the last page. Just too formulaic and long winded.

Nice cover. I am intruiged.

I recently bought a used copy of Cold Hand over Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was a first edition. The stories are excellent as well

I've seen somebody share this view on Veeky Forums before and do not understand it all. The monster's reveal is probably the scariest part of the story and masterfully done

Laird Barron. He lost an eye gazing upon Cthulhu.

Island of doctor moreau such a strange read
>those fucking chants in the cave by the creatures

What are some good jap horror writers to read?

Japanese Tales of Mystery and Imagination

goodreads.com/book/show/275470.The_Haunted_Looking_Glass

nyrb.com/products/the-haunted-looking-glass?variant=1094932021

The Haunting of Hill House

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_of_Hill_House

Seconding this. And also the King in Yellow by Robert Chambers.

Hey I just read that! Didn't really think much of it desu

The Haunted Mesa

This is good thread thankyou friends

The Fisherman has a substantial Lovecraftian influence and is also really good. It does not fall victim to traditional horror book issues as it is basically two novella sized stories intertwined with one another through a shared mythology.

Seriously, I got chills at that part. And it might sound rather ridiculous nowadays, but that one guy running about and yelling 'my burning feet of fire' is seriously scary if you stop to think about the way it would echo in such a vast place in reality.

Anybody read Hugh B. Cave? Or Basil Copper?

I've never heard of either of them. Have you read them? What are they like?

Any particular CAS stories you'd recommend? Any to avoid?

I just listened to it on your recommendation! It was very good

Most of the ones in the penguin are great. I'm particularly partial to "The Dark Eidolon".

(Not the user you're responding to, but another Smith fan.)

That ending was pretty intense.

Author? I've found an ocean of Wendigo books.

Algernon Blackwood.

I have this book and man, his prose is godlike

>yfw when you notice how much stuff in Heart of Darkness was ripped from Island of Doctor Moreau

>Ocean of Wendigo
now that's spooky

Real talk: is there a place for "serious" horror fiction anymore? Or is it still dismissed as genre fiction and snubbed by high brow drivel.

>Thomas Ligotti
>Horror

I'll rec a lesser known but very good anthology: The Moons At Your Door

ligotti is garbage
cas isn't horror

read m r james

the fisherman was absolute rot of the first rank. it is one large cliche, right down to the hamfisted moby dick references.

Pigeons from HELL by Robert Howard

What's scarier than realizing life itself is the monster?

B U M P

Any books that capture the feeling of the film Jacob's Ladder? People working through personal hells that become literal hells complete with unimaginable horrors?

I am reading 'Who Goes There?' by John Campbell atm.

Basis for The Thing.

It's good. Conjures up a nice mood.

Link: hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The best of Jim Baens Universe/The World Turned Upside Down/0743498747__15.htm

But the ending was... lousy.

A very good horror story up to that point.

If no one has seen the movie, Silent Hill 2 is quite similar to it. Any books like that? Characters with baggage that manifests as horrific hallucinations or real monsters?

Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House is somewhat in this vein. Top-tier horror novel.

Give this a try, OP. You can down it in a single sitting. The House on the Borderland is another of my favorites.

Thanks user!

spiders