I just graduated highschool

I just graduated highschool.
I have never read a book for pleasure.
What should be my introduction to the world of literature?

inb4 people insult me ITT and call me a brainlet.
Listen, you dont need to insult me, i already know i am a subhuman retard

Also feel free to share a song ITT
My song suggestion: false8o.bandcamp.com/track/therefore

Grodek

>i already know i am a subhuman retard
No you are not, don't talk like that.

Read something easy but of topmost quality such as "Peanut" by Ayun Haliday

Cien Años de Soledad

Also delete your thread, request threads are against the rules

What do you like in other forms of Art (movies, music etc.)?

Movies:
Primer
Gattaca
Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Basterds
Interstellar
Goodfellas
Inception
Snatch
Black Swan
Donnie Darko
In the Mood for Love
Seven Sumarai
The Shining
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr Strangelove
Eyes Wide Shut
Mulloholland Drive
Wild Strawberries
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Solaris
Birdman

Music:
Any Lo-fi Music, Indie Music, Dreampop, Shoegaze genres

Plato and Homer

Slaughterhouse 5, Murakami, L'etranger are all good intro lit with entertaining themes and easy prose

>What should be my introduction to the world of literature?
What kinds of stories do you like?

You could start with DFW's non-fiction. Then progress to some short classic novels or just short stories. Kafka's Metamorphosis comes to mind, or something by Hesse, or Borges' Ficciones

Well besides the obvious answer of the books a lot of these were based on.
>sci-fi
Neuromancer, Heart of a Dog, Slaughterhouse 5
>Gangster
Brighton Rock maybe

Odds are you're a disenfranchised young white man, so I'd recommend "Whatever" by Houellebecq.

Notes From Underground and Crime and Punishment should be read by every man before he turns 20.

you've got a lot of shit taste in film. maybe focus on refining that a bit as well.

there's a sticky that has book recommendations, which will be far better than anything anyone in this thread says for you, but i also thought this:

Vonnegut

Serious question:

How do you square your suggestion that all men read Dostoevsky before 20 with your strong belief that stupidity is ubiquitous and that it more or less accounts for the sorry state of the world?

>Primer
go read homestuck if you haven't already. not even ironically, you'll probably enjoy it and it will let you slide into reading comfortably. read what you enjoy to begin with and then move into stuff that you can use to prove to other people you're well-read. it is a recreational activity after all

go through the western canon

>should be
>should

If you're being witty I'm not following. (No surprise there, every person you talk to on the internet is dumber than you, after all).

I just bombed highschool. Should I kill myself? Should I learn a trade? Should I work at McDonald's until I die?

It's extremely easy to go from no Diploma to GED to Associates Degree to Bachelors Degree With Honors.

You have not closed a single door on yourself. Chill the Fuck Out. Suicide? God dammit I'm about to say you should kill yourself just for valuing your life so little.

I doubt you'll be able to get away with it. You'll probably spend the rest of your life in gitmo.

I'm Australian. There exist "pathways" but I'm basically unemployable until I reveal my previously undiscovered genius.

This, unfortunately

Looking at your list I would suggest that you look at the following authors:

Arthur C Clarke
Isaac Asimov
Ray Bradbury
Richard Mathesom
Harlan Ellison

Also the sci-fy classics:
Dune (to be honest don't go beyond the first book)
A Canticile for Leibowitz

Since you seem to like sci-fy look at the winners of the Hugo award, they are held as the most popular stories.

I would actually suggest reading The Lord of the Rings. It's a good book for teenagers and will set you along a good path. You're not ready for the heavy stuff yet.

But once you go to college, start with the Greeks.

>my previously undiscovered genius

The west is far too infatuated with genius, far too unimpressed by grit.

Get to work. Or keep pretending. Reality will knock more than once.

I was being facetious, I know I'm fucked by my total lack of conscientiousness and motivation. I would join the military but they just stopped recruiting men so there would be more girls

Thanks, Dad

I'm just a Son pretending to be a Dad talking to his Son pretending to be a Dad who doesn't need to hear from Dad.

Love you, kiddo

>Kangaroos not recruiting males
>lol what
>google
>θ¡°··¬§μθ|=:O :-| :-)) =:O :'!×;_.#
What kind of back ass shit is this. It's this kind of forced shit that makes me face palm. What the fuck are they going to do when they don't meet recruitment needs even after they lower the standards for their feel good shit.

because we'll just cry to daddy America if shit happens, the government isn't invested in defence and it's been handed over to the sort that think "gender equity" is important and pretend it will not decrease effectiveness but actually increase it. Gotta increase that equity even though women are already disproportionately represented as officers