Impossible Translations

Post books that you don't believe could be reliably translated from their original languages, and explain why if you want.

Pic related, but does anyone know if there exist any translations of it into Russian? Or Russian books similar to it? I want to share it with my parents since they would be very interested in this stuff, but the weird English just throws them off too much.

tru

I’ve often wondered what a Russian translation of A Clockwork Orange looks like, but not enough to actually find out.

>They just replace all of the nadsat with English vocab on Russian grammer.

I heard the Polish translation is great

o kurwa

A Chinese translation was released a while back and sold millions of copies.

I've heard such of the Spanish translation as well yet I refuse to believe it or accept a translation of Finnegan's Wake as anything but a crime.

Joycewake by the esteemed James Finnegan

>Finneganów
>genitive plural

Poland what are you doing it’s not called Finnegans’ Wake

kek

what else pussies

the word "Finneganów" could also be understood in archaic Polish as "Finnegan's", singular possessive, alluding to the original ballad Finnegan's Wake. At least that's what I have always thought

As for Riddley,
Just read it aloud then translate what you hear, as opposed to what you said. That's 90% of it. The really far out passages are discussed within the introduction (ones with no context).

I only remember one sentence from this book, which I read almost 15 years ago:

"She been smoking, she were high."

Or words to that effect.

I mean, there's just no way that you could even begin to translate it. How the fuck do you translate a work that relies almost entirely on portmanteau?

I think this would certainly be more feasible than Finnegans Wake.
Riddley Walker is sort of "ungrammatical English as written by someone who knows the values of the letters but doesn't know how to spell anything". You could just do the same for Russian.

with more portmanteau

eh true, but then there's parts like "savour" vs "savior" and "hart/heart of the wood/wud" and shit
I only ask because I haven't been able to find a translation ):

how the fuck would you even translate this?

Pic related, dialectal poetry
I "translated" two or three poems into the standard language and I felt embarrassed, they lost all of their charm and character. A translation is possible but, because of its style and historical intertextuality, it is pretty much pointless.