Death and nothingness

Long have i been fascinated by the void. Eternal nothingness. Just as before we came into this short being. Soon we shall all return to its bottomless sleep. I have had a hard time getting a feel for what it might feel like but i soon found a proper way of expressing it;

Death is complete emptiness and void. Emptiness devoid of any thoughts that the mind can produce and no sense of space or the flow of time. Like a dreamless sleep from which you never wake up.

Questions;
Do you ever think about death? Are you frightened? Do you wish for afterlife or death as a finale destination?
What are some good books that adress the topic?

Plato was pseud.

great insight

If death is nothingness then you’re not around to experience it in any capacity, and it’s content is about as relevant as a fantasy story.

Anyone experience death in their dreams occasionally? It's like falling asleep again but it feels 100x times better and the moment right after I realize I'm going to die before my dream ends bliss washs over me. Knowing that I will never have to worry about any kind of uncertainty is the best feeling. All the wrong inadequate decisions I've made throughout my life and all the worry and stress caused by them are all meaningless once I am aware of that fact. It feels like pure freedom.

What keeps you from killing yourself?

I have unfinished business with life.

Yes. Whenever I fall in my dreams and hit the ground I get that same pleasant sensation. Bliss.

I started feeling the same way about death in the same period that I realized that since God doesn't (inb4 fedora) exist nothing is permitted and I'm the sole source of my actions and my decisions, whereas before whenever I thought about death I felt bad to the point I felt physical pain (I think there's a specific name for this phenomenon). Now I oscillate between the two.

what if death is eternal suffering?

Then at some point we’d forget everything about life.

The universe is my spatio-temporal representation.
When I die, my spatio-temporal representation will disappear, leaving only that which was outside of my spatio-temporal representation, namely that which was outside time, my will.

is this where we all pretend that spirit/soul exists?

So here you are, this object which somehow sprouted an illusory sense of self, an illusory consciousness, an illusory sense of time, and an illusory free will… This being which experiences a pre-packaged, pre-determined, illusory one-way journey from past to future called life. Not only do your genetic make-up and the external environment in which you exist influence your actions and thoughts, but they uniquely determine who you are at the core, they determine how your life unfolds, what you do, what you feel, what you think, what you create, moment after moment after moment.

You are a locked up prisoner hopelessly looking at your own movie through the bars of your cell, you are a detached spectator watching a fateful story unfold, a story with a script which was written 13.8 billion years ago, a story in which you have no input, a story which you have never and will never be able to direct. You are a puppet on invisible strings, a passive observer living a meaningless, purposeless, pointless life inside a meaningless, purposeless, pointless Universe.

What if we come back here?

What if death is the worst kind of eternal suffering, which never allows you to forget life and never lets you grow used to the pain?

>illusory consciousness
brainlet detected

>This is what brainlet materialists actually believe

rick and morty is cool as shit i love that show too

>Death is complete emptiness and void.

There is no is-ing for the consciously dead brain, but there is fact either returned from the grave that what is, is emptiness and void. The attributes you give to non-being are in themselves speculations about a state. You can seek comfort in your understanding of this state, but you cannot know death. That you articulate a sense of that experience tells me you will dismiss the unknown possibilities of non-being, and you will attempt to dismiss the limits of human reason. Non-being is unknowable, and eternal return is possible - even a return to a point in which not all is the same. As you imagine, so do I. But then I suspend my judgement and return to tranquillity.

I like to think that the infinite void feels something like closing your eyes and counting to one.

A dog does not waste it's days to entertain such meaningless lines of thought, Athenian, nor does it find the misery that comes with them.

I've thought about Death all my life, and have only been truly afraid after learning what you stated in your second paragraph last year. I'm not sure if I want there to be an afterlife or just Death, but that's just me being selfish on both fronts.

I haven't had a death dream (or one that I can remember) since I was in elementary.

What if life is just another death?

Then the religions with reincarnation were right.

>Do you ever think about death?
Every day.
>Are you frightened?
Yes. Occasionally I'm calm, but what can you do except be calm in the face of certain doom?
>Do you wish for afterlife or death as a finale destination?
I do not believe, but hot damn would I love an afterlife. If I had to choose between eternal suffering and nothing, right now I'd choose the former. I just don't EVER want to stop being...
>What are some good books that adress the topic?
Interested in this as well.
Anyone else hate the meme that dying is good? 'Being immortal would be so sad because people die and shit!' and 'death gives meaning to life!': bleh!

I don't dread death, I dread returning to life to start this whole god damned process over from the beginning, suffering through all the same shit just because I don't remember what I forgot. I want out

It is for the people who elected drumpf

Strong

Near death experiences are never about nothingness. To assume that Newton has it all figured out is to worship Newton.

That suggests that you are early in your journey (if you are of the Reincarnation school), and that you do, in fact, have many life lessons remaining.

Imagine that you found a bridge to that agency that remembers everything and that you find out that it's too late to undo anything and that you're going to be within it forever anyhow. Not just an eternal return of the same, but the knowledge that there is no escape and that each time you only except this before death. And you do it whimpering and yelling at yourself where you are then looking to the person that knows. Imagine that forever. Then stop making up what cannot be known. Do not ascent to these beliefs.

Am I right in thinking Plato's metaphysics believed that death was a return to a plane of infinite knowledge? Fancy and a comforting idea, personally I have tried to shake off the notion of continued existence after Death and 'believe' that whatever my actual self fully dissolves in Death yet I dunno man, when I look at the world and how many goddamn people there are and how truly ununique I am, I just can't shake this gutteral feeling that Death isn't just void infinite nothing. Anyone feel me here? It's something I think about almost daily and I make no claims to any sort of reason to these regards as it is pure conjecture and this goddamn weird intuition.

Like how the hell do you reckon with Infinity? You can't even think about it. And yet here I am, and I walk to my boring ass fridge and somehow that itself has a near infinite level of resolution I am neccesarily unaware of.

What if you walked in on the pizza guy fucking your mom

Not an argument, sarcastic bucko.

You'd become a superhero/villain

hello op!

your post reminds me of afew posts I ran into his awhile ago, I feel these posts address your concerns accurately and I hope you enjoy them!

I'm not afraid of my own death, I'm afraid of what may happen to others should I be dead.

>how many goddamn people
Maybe not everybody will reincarnate?
Look at the majority of the population, do they deserve to live again?
As edgy as it sounds, I think the vast majority of the population today are "soulless" and possess nothing but physical things. Things that will die along with their physical body.

I actually believe in something similar and I don't think that it's an edgy thought at all, user.

>Eternal nothingness. Just as before we came into this short being. Soon we shall all return to its bottomless sleep.
Well if you came out of it it wasn't so "bottomless" now is it? Yea, you'll die and disperse and return to the void and it'll be "just like it was before you were born" aka a transient soul sleep until you manifest again, and there's nothing you can do about it lmao

Bugs... Easy on the 'roids...

What is experiencing the illusion?

Prove it.

>There have been many that have said
>that death is like a deep sleep
>but it is not peaceful and it is not restful
>and the ones that have told you this
>seek only to make themselves feel better
>better about what life is
>but I do not care for your feelings
>because your feelings are meaningless, completely
>and utterly
>meaningless
>weightless.
>Death is a great horror:
>immediately upon leaving the body
>the deceased human being becomes the sole spectator
>of a marvelous panorama of hallucinatory visions
>all things became the cloudless sky
>and a mountain of clearest glass
>opens up from the blackness
>and punctuates the air above it with it’s fingers
>and causes pure death to rain towards him
>and there are no words to describe
>what it is truly like
>you cannot know it
>it as if god himself
>had bled out onto the ground
>and everywhere, everywhere
>is the stain of it
>we are soaked in it
>and it all smells of copper
>but this is false!
>it is a spectre
>it is a phantom
>anguish of a writhing spirit
>reflected against the purest backdrop of nothingness
>because, oh, the death of a god! the pain of his blood!
>that would give meaning.
>But there is no god in death!
>you will not see him, you will not find him.
>god is deathless.
>what use does god have for death?
>that father of all things
>what use has he for a broken toy? what use has he for the shattered vase,
>the broken vessel?
>what use has god for death?
>and what use has god for the dead?
>when you die you pass out of god’s realm.
>you pass from his sight.
>and the spirit stays
>cocooned in the glass mountain
>wrapped in those beautiful un-lights
>until, whispered into his ear
>those cold, nothing words
>shudder downwards in a spiral
>and, like earth spinning into water
>broken apart into pieces unlimited in number
>their very force causes deep lines of fracture
>to appear in the very face of the mountain
>those awe sounds and radiances
>first pitch upwards
>rising screams and calls
>and then finally cease altogether
>the silence echoing everywhere
>lingering in space
>and through every time
>and the visions of the Afterdeath stop
>and in one clean perfect moment
>of absolute, impenetrable nothingness
>everything simply
>stops.

Reminder that Gnosis trumps Faith.

this question kills the buddhist.

Gnosis without faith is prelest.

>>What is experiencing the illusion?
as long as something is cognized, it is consciousness-ing

>this question kills the buddhist.
it really does not

>direct experience is the best means to truth!
>the self doesn't exist and is not continuous, it's just an illusion, despite all the evidence to the contrary via our direct experience
>you must stare at your navel until you accept you have no substantial existence, no essence to your being, no-self to find
prelest.

>prelest
Look mom I learned a new word!

I'm happy for you, now stop trying to depersonalize and dissociate yourself from reality.

What ever happens dont be afraid.
That seems what everyone seems to say. All these rituals and explanations forgivenesses . Its all so we can face death without fear.

>despite all the evidence to the contrary via our direct experience
what?

>implying non-being exists

In that case i cant die because there was no me that existed in the first place?
Still there is something that ends when i die.

The type of attitude that will put all human progress on stand-hold.

LSD

>You are a locked up prisoner
Do not try to break the lock, that is impossible, instead simply realize the truth

there is no lock

>Still there is something that ends when i die.
yes your corporeal form, which continuously changes anyway, the soul is immortal and wanders into the afterlife.
t. socrates

If my soul is the same from babby until being some demented old man that has forgotten everything then what is it exactly?And what purpose does it serve?

Have you even read Phaedo? His arguments are retarded. "Hurr death is just like sleeping" etc.

>the self doesn't exist
buddhists dont actually believe this, its an expression

Its pretty much the will,agency,
That what is within us that causes us to act. Pure condiousness/awareness without identitfy or reference.

um, you say we have free will but then in the same breath you suggest we are predetermined, mankinds nature is as put by dostoe is to throw himself into chaos just to test his free will, we are by no means on chained without repulsion, if we are chained at all is an allowance by the player that is exhibiting his free will to be chained. Just because a lot of people follow the path of least resistance doesn't diminish free will and humanities traversing through life and their moral decisions.

its the center point around which other forces form themselves

It is not fully expressed in a baby or a demented old man, it is still there. The brain can be thought of as an antenna that catches signals from the "soul", if the "antenna" is damaged the signal is not.

But generally, the "soul" is a very specific thing and should not be confused with most people's "selfs". Most modern day people are controlled by urges, thoughts, etc, that have no relation to their soul and identify with these things.

Btw, most people's souls are not immortal, that is new age bullshit (by new age I mean the last 2000-4000 years)

"death isn't the opposite of life. death is the opposite of birth"

>If I had to choose between eternal suffering and nothing, right now I'd choose the former. I just don't EVER want to stop being...

One of the most legitimately retarded things I've ever read lol. Humanity is so cucked

who said ?

Ok, fair point. Since I was born this pre-birth bottomless sleep wasn't so bottomless after all. What you are essentially saying is that I have lived infinite(?) lives before this current one. Even though I can't remember a single one of them and although I hope to never exist again I will continue to do so forever? I fail to see the point in being stuck in this supposed endless loop of reincarnations. Also, how does my soul find its way from my corpse into some mans nutsack in the next universe?