Shelf Thread

Rate my shelf and present your own.

Whom else has a Penguin section?

>ASOIAF
At least they're pretty editions.
>Dover Nietzsche
Is the translation any good? I never buy those blue ones because they're ugly, but tempted because they're so cheap.
>Kerouac
Meh
>Lovecraft
Nice, what's it like?

Pretty alright shelf, overall.

everyone hates me for the way i "organize" my shelf (◠◠)

Are you a Dante extraordinaire now? I only have the Wordsworth edition because I'm a pleb.

>Penguin Deluxe edition of Gravity's Rainbows
>innumerable typos, misplaced punctuation, and in some cases even missing whole sentences
are you fucking joking
there used to be threads almost every day about this
you need the turquoise Penguin Twentieth Century Classics version senpai
>no Mason & Dixon or Against the Day
pleb
By Night in Chile is the only Bolano work that compares to 2666
>A Clockwork Orange
>no Earthly Powers
>no Malay Trilogy
>no Enderby Quartet
you're fucking killing me
>Stoner
>no Augustus
>the only fucking Gaddis work you have is Carpenter's Gothic
I'm dying here
>only White Noise
>no Libra, Mao 2, Underworld
I hate you

>buying a set of an incomplete series

baka desu senpai

you're a living (Veeky Forums) meme

>Carson's Inferno
>Ciardi's Commedia
>Hollander & Hollander's Commedia
>Mandelbaum's Commedia
>Merwin's Purgatorio
>Sinclair's Commedia
>Singleton's Commedia
THE CHOSEN ONE
P A T R I C I A N
where's the Mary Jo Bang Inferno, pleb?

pleb all of them. He should learn italian and read it.

that edition of GR was a gift from an ex-gf who thought i hadn't read it. i read it & M&D when i used to read .pdfs.

i bought/read the savage detectives, white noise, & a clockwork orange in high school. also own the recognitions, that's only about a third of my books but i'm living with someone who's reading through some of the ones on the shelf. relax mane

>Game Of Thrones

Why do you have so many variations of TDC?

You need to take better care of Dosto.

Are you bilingual? Can't parse those five books on the right.

Definition of 'Don't judge a book by its cover'

Tolstoy and Dosto surrounded by King makes me sick.

the UK has the ugliest editions of works I've ever seen

the comedy reads better in english than italian though
t. read it in both, spent a year in florence studying dante, did a master's thesis on it

Most of the time it´s just easier to get the British versions when you´re living in Germany because the US Versions take some weeks so I only order them when I really like an author.

I live in Canada and always order from the US
my shelves are so aesthetic I could probably cum between the spines
ugh I have 4 shelves that are JUST Library of America
I'm getting horny now gonna jerk off to books brb

But which one's the best

Breadth without depth.

Got a new shelf today

Not shelf but starting with the Germans

absolutely patrician

Very good taste.
I just hope you aren't a mason, only a student about them.

I am but I'm considering Catholicism

5/10, high school. Get good OP.

Italians get out.

I also have a Penguin section. I like yours.

Memes, but better than OP.

HST and Burroughs (and Kesey) saved this shelf from the bonfire.

Not a shelf and your King selection sucks. No Stand, no It, no Roland.

Not bad. Buscemi is a decent writer, go watch Trees Lounge.

Egh. Your study of Christianity is marred by your fondness for doctrine over righteousness.

College freshman. 7/10.

All praise to Reviewbrah (PBUH)

Pic related is my shelf OP. Anons r8/h8/distintegr8.

>Your study of Christianity is marred by your fondness for doctrine over righteousness.
How can I rectify this?

I don't know you personally obviously, that was just an assumption based off looking at your shelves. If I had to say: don't fret about metaphysics or the church father opinions. Dissecting theology will never prove faith. Do what Jesus did and show love to those who need it most.

Hang yourself and meet your maker

>D&D
Get a life you nerd.

No need, there's no difference in doctrine and love. It's a meme to conflict them. The role of the intellectual is to guide others and correct their errors as part of their calling, showing truth is an expression of love for souls of your fellow man.

>College freshman. 7/10.
You think I'd pay thousands for this bullshit?

>there's no difference in doctrine and love. It's a meme to conflict them. The role of the intellectual is to guide others and correct their errors as part of their calling, showing truth is an expression of love for souls of your fellow man.

>lol unless ur gay or a woman

My shelf isn't beautiful and neither organized.
I have to buy (or construct) a new shelf and a new bedroom. At least, there're a good books there.

How is being a sodomite (as this is the relevant category you probably mean) or a woman relevant here?

I have a life thanks. D&D is something I've loved since childhood, and 3.5 is the purest expression of the game.

I dunno, do you pay thousands? Your books are decent, but where's Schiller? Non-intro Hegel? Kneechee?

how the FUCK did your shelves get so bowed?

t. currently building a new shelf

this is not a religious discussion thread so i will ignore your posts for now.

>how the FUCK did your shelves get so bowed?

This shelf is very old and wasn't build with good material.

>t. currently building a new shelf

Good. when you finish, put some photos here on /lit.
I'm making some projects. I intend to build it soon.

I will, and I'll keep watch for your books on the new shelves!

Need a full sized shelf. Things are beginning to not fit.

>yiddish policeman's union
>den hartog's mechanics
you're alright user. except for being a sub-mariner.

>when you finally get to bust a nut after getting cucked by the navy for 14 years straight.

>Schiller
Untranslated >suicide.jpg and Hegels aesthetics are better than his letters.
Intro Hegel is in the Cambridge book and Nietzsche comes 70 years later and disregards German Idealism almost entirely

>astrolavo

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

>Kneechee?
>Putting Nietzsche with German Idealists

Sim. Li seus principais livros mas não sou olavete, muito pelo contrário.

É o que pede o bom senso.

>>Penguin Deluxe edition of Gravity's Rainbows
>>innumerable typos, misplaced punctuation, and in some cases even missing whole sentences
>are you fucking joking
>there used to be threads almost every day about this

There's one missing line and it's been fixed in later editions. Every time Veeky Forums has been asked about other egregious typos, no one has pointed them out. The meme died because it's BS and you have to bring it up again like a pleb.

Hollander for Verse
Singleton for Prose

>google "penguin deluxe edition errors"
>729,000 results
>9 of the top 10 results refer to GR
>later editions
they haven't published a newer edition
all you've done is try to shift the onus of proof onto me when you haven't made any precise counterpoints
you sound like pathetic PR
go back to >>>reddit

Like a Professor should be useless to anyone that isn't a high schooler or a total pleb. It was required reading for one of my high school English classes, so I get a pass for owning it.

My shelf consists only of what I presently have with me at college, excluding more textbooks. I have so many anatomy books because I like looking at different pictures of the same thing.

I mean, this shelf is mostly a nondescript collection of memes, from which I can't really determine anything except that the poster frequents Veeky Forums, but you sound insufferable. This post is more cringe than any shelf posted in this thread.

>he still hasn't adapted to the Veeky Forums style of endearment where you just insult the shit out of someone while giving them advice
he was recommending books to them

Take it up with the Anons who've pointed out on here that the missing line, the only real egregious error, the only missing line documented, is intact in their editions. Sorry that's not 100% concrete proof, but convincing reddit obsessed Anons is not a high priority to me.

You're alright in my book, some philosophy, Camus, and Homer, but you are pretty close to the stereotypical college shelf (and I really don't know why it is so common) of having loads of textbooks + Ayn Rand's whole biography and nothing else.

I was really into Ayn Rand in high school. I still see value in her perspective, although I now think a lot of her views were pretty naive or shortsighted.

No bully

>shelves with less than 50 books

tfw you realise Veeky Forums is full of brainlets and/or teens

>how to read
>doesn't just do it
>not even parking
I hownim going to get flamed for my shelf but is ok

It's kinda outdated but I started buying a lot less books since i got my kindle so fuck it

>no bully
>posts schopenhauer and evola

The ONLY reason you get a pass from me is Milton, Dumas, and Herbert.

>calls people brainlets
>doesn't post bookshelf
I can only assume you're worse than the rest of us

1/6
Be sure to call me a try-hard faggot for liking leather.

2/6

>that bible
Gosh man how old is that thing?

I have more behind the t.v. box but the dog will tear them apart if i move it. Pls bully if my pic is aus mode

this looks pretty fucking nice, user

3/6

This is what white privilege looks like

4/6

5/6

From 1867. Found it for 10 dollarydoos at a charity booksale.

Thanks user

Other than the signed editions, those all sell for around $ 35.00. Less than a new modern hardcover, most times.

You have an amazing collection.

Impressive, very nice.

How come you have 2 copies of on war?

Hmm where did you get those from then?

Are masons truly evil people trying to destroy christianity?

kool ad best novelist

Nuhuh

Damn this looks nice. I didn't even know Folio had Storm of Steel too. I'm jelly.

Picked up the Folio copy a month ago, and haven't had a chance to sell or give away the hardcover.

Second hand stores and Abebooks

Folio had a print run of WWI and II accounts, that came out in the early 2000's. Some nice editions in there.

I organised my shelf based on the size of the book and not the author. Will that annoy people?

I do the same user, although I'll do my best to at least keep genres together. Bookshelves take up too much of a room to leave the shelves unaesthetically pleasing.

I love abebooks. That's where I got my 3 volumes of Werner Jaeger's Paideia: The Ideals of Greek Culture from. Any new copy today is only in paperback which I abhor getting when I have the option not to.

Yeah, it's great for finding out of print books. I've been getting into Chinese Legalism, and I have no idea how I would get copies of English translations without it.

>Nescio
Holy shit I had not expected to ever see him pop up on Veeky Forums

Get some better anatomy books.
Try Sobotta, it has really nice images.

1/2

2/2

*pic of my kindle*.

Full view, no lighting in my room other than the Christmas lights and a lamp on my desk. Only have one B&N by my house, and the only other bookstore is another B&N 10 miles away.

First two shelves are Theology>Philosophy>Political philo
Some are out of order

Organon out of place

Reading Sextus and Arrian