What did Lex Luthor mean by this?

What did Lex Luthor mean by this?

You're afraid to confront potential danger/error.

optimism is a coping mechanism for fear

What a cynical douche

Honest answer: comic book writers aren't good, and just try to make their characters sound cool.
Comic book answer: He knows he can't win against the ubermensch, and finds his meaning not in the success or failure against the ubermensch but in fighting the ubermensch even when he knows he will fail. To be an optimist would make it easier to do what he does, because it would give you hope, but it would strip the action of what little maning Luthor's actions can have in the shadow of the god-man.

You mean Hank Schrader?

Most people are cynical as fuck today, it's easier to say everything and everyone is doomed. It is much more difficult to be sincere and optimistic in the fact of such widespread negativity.

>Most people are ignorant as fuck today, it's easier to say everything's fine and it's gonna be alright. It is much more difficult to be sincere in the face of such widespread, baseless optimism.

Not taking a stance, just pointing out that a pessimist has the same arguments. In the end it's a matter of belief or preference, it's stupid to generalize either group.

>durr faith is cowardice I am so edgy look at my stern expression that means you should listen to me

Pass.

Untrue, a pessimist would argue that no-one wants to be a pessimist because it is an inherently negative stance. That it's desirable to be otherwise, and thus it is more likely to be true if you're a cynic because you're choosing it against your interest. That is the essence of the OP quote.

Don't generalize how I would argue.

This guy is the definition of pseud and I don’t use that term often.

What did Oscar Spacey mean by this?

*Music that reminds you of the music that played when Sylar in Heroes came into the picture.*

This is the best thing I read today.

isn't this guy essentially a pussy

I don't know man, Spengler was right. He saw it coming 100 years ago. He didn't even think Hitler would last

You mean Survival Russia?

It's quite the opposite. Nothing is easier than whinging about everything and declaring all to be lost. After that comes the cool "it's just a fact and I've accepted it" attitude. Even naive optimism is harder.

kek

Did he mean OF ourselves?

>Die Masse der Menschen ist gemein. Der gemeine Mensch will vom Leben nichts als Länge, Gesundheit, Unterhaltung, Bequemlichkeit – Glück. Wer das nicht verachtet, sollte den Blick von der Weltgeschichte abwenden, denn sie enthält nichts dergleichen. Größe im Leiden ist das beste, was sie geschaffen hat.

the undisputed GOAT. EOPs need not apply