Aesthetics/Art Philosophy Thread

Can we get a thread going where we discuss/recommend books on aesthetics and/or art? I've just downloaded pic-related, and wondering what else I need to get into the topic. All recommendations would be much appreciated. I just want to be able to BTFO those who say:
>Art is subjective, bro....

Other urls found in this thread:

eurosa.org/volumes/5/DAngeloESA2013.pdf
leseditionsdeminuit.fr/livre-Devant_l’image-2040-1-1-0-1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

read Schiller's theoretical work after Kant, also Laookon (Lessing)

This is considered the definitive textbook (for grad students, I guess) on 20th century art / aesthetics

Danke.

Here's a very short paper from a guy whose longer works aren't available in English:
eurosa.org/volumes/5/DAngeloESA2013.pdf

Nietzsche says some very interesting things about art and artists in The Gay Science and Will to Power, if you want his perspective on the matter.

bump

lmao kant literally says art is subjective.

anyway kant fucked art up with his aesthetics

read agamben's man without content to a detailed argumento

also hegel for the dialectical nature of works of art, syncronic and diacronic. good rebuttal to kant

also 20th century formalist art critics like greenberg, early rosalind krauss and yve alain bois. good for your visual analytic

erwin panofsky and aby warburg for iconography

norman bryson book commenting gombrich theory, i forgot the name, btfo teleological narratives searching 'The Supreme Masterpiece'

also georges didihuberman stuff, BTFO art history forever

also srry for the english

>georges didihuberman
What is he about?

he is the derrida of art history i'd say, in a good way though

read the summary leseditionsdeminuit.fr/livre-Devant_l’image-2040-1-1-0-1.html

read this ^. if you dont read french dont even bother with him. my english is too archaic to synthesize such an author, maybe some other user could help

>so great no one has even translated him
yeah try again
t. didihuberman

kys

It has been translated though, i would just not advise to It since its like reading derrida but derrida has obviously better translators.

he is pretty famous in art history departments, not like im talking out of my ass. good curator, studied in aby warburg Institute as the likes of panofsky cassirer and riegl . etc etc

It's fiction, but Picture of Dorian Gray.

hahaha

bump

I have studied aesthetics a fair bit. Jumping in straight in with Kant's 3rd Critique would be rather bold.
Here are some relevant texts.
Aristotle - Poetics §§1-19, 22-26 (Can accompany this with Plato's republic Chapters 9 &13)
Friedrich Nietzsche - The Birth of Tragedy §§1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14
David Hume - On The Standard of Taste
Heidegger - The Age of the World Picture
Deleuze - Painting and Sensation
3rd Earl of Shaftesbury - Characteristics of Men, Manners, Opinions, Times (The Moralists Part 3 Section 2)
Edmund Burke - A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful

If you are still determined to start off with Kant, look at some secondary literature as well. Paul Guyer is probably the most recognised scholar.

If you want to look into the links between aesthetics and politics, Hannah Arendt wrote on this topic, specifically in 'Lectures on Kant's Political Philosophy'. However, some scholars assert that she just misinterpreted a crucial part of the third critique.

Gunno Padalsky
Gavnar Samoiloff
Reonid Sadkov
Aruslam Jidkiy
Artur Dan'ko
Ebolay Samolnikov
Egor Gaidar

Thanks user, I will take your recommendations to heart. I already have Arendt's book loaned out, luckily. As you say, I should probably start somewhere else. Thanks!

Couldn't find anything on any of these guys. Where are they from?

Dw. They're just fake names. Stop spamming.

bless you big guy

Kant is difficult