Why is he so fucking great, Veeky Forums? Even among the Romantics Keats stands alone...

Why is he so fucking great, Veeky Forums? Even among the Romantics Keats stands alone. He's a tier above the rest of them.

Lolwut
Wordsworth and Shelley are far above Keats

/thread

I find Shelley incredibly overrated.

hey fuck you pal

>Wordsworth and Shelley combined even beginning to approach the zenith that is Keats
Fuckin' kek

Ozymandias vs. “Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art”

Shelley wins, even against Keats

Ozymandias is good for Shelley, but "Bright star..." isn't even Keats' best poem.

Hyperion is unfinished, Grecian Urn is barely passable for good or cannon

Shelley a shit, Wordsworth is goldy though

William Blake is better imo, but I get why you'd prefer Keats.

>tfw when no Byron
Byron clearly lacks the education, but does have moments that are sublime

“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.”

>cannon

>Grecian Urn is barely passable for good or cannon

Solecisms are the final arguments of plebs?

at least this is a respectable opinion.
shelley and wordsworth baka

It's Coleridge or Byron.

>this thread
FURTHER PROOF

but he was such a cuck

Coleridge ultimately lacked self-esteem, that was his main problem. Well that and being an opium addict.

I wish Ode to a Nightingale didn't have that flower stanza. Would be a perfect poem if that was replaced.

byron is a poet for low class people

Byron is incredibly enjoyable but he's not primarily a poet in the sense of Keats, in the sense of short romantic poems on an idea or experience. He's a narrative poet, basically, and his narratives are very good. He's disliked by people today who need someone to bash in order to feel patrish and choose him instead of Wordsworth.

I trust Goethe on this:

Lord Byron is to be regarded as a man, an Englishman, and as a great genius. His good qualities belong chiefly to the man, his bad to the Englishman and the peer, his talent is incommeasurable.

His high rank as an English peer was very injurious to Byron; for every talent is oppressed by the outer world, – how much more, then, when there is such high birth and so great a fortune. A certain middle rank is much more favorable to talent, on which account we find all great artists and poets in the middle classes. Byron’s predilection for the unbounded could not have been nearly so dangerous with more humble birth and smaller means. But as it was, he was able to put every fancy into practice, and this involved him in innumerable scrapes. Besides, how could one of such high rank be inspired with awe and respect by any rank whatsoever? He expressed whatever he felt, and this brought him into ceaseless conflict with the world.

I could not make any use of any man as the representative of the modern poetical era except him, who undoubtedly is to be regarded as the greatest genius of our century. Byron is neither antique nor romantic, but like the present day itself. This was the sort of man I required. Then he suited me on account of his unsatisfied nature and his warlike tendency, which led to his death at Missolonghi.

Lord Byron is only great as a poet; as soon as he reflects, he is a child.