Can this cure my depression? Recommend any other book that had a profound therapeutic impact on you

Can this cure my depression? Recommend any other book that had a profound therapeutic impact on you.
(meme sub-1y ''depressions'' that dont stop you from functioning dont apply)

Crime and Punishment
Welcome to the NHK

It's okay. Instead try reading the works and lives of the Saints and you will realize we aren't here to be comfortable or to be happy, we are here to engage in spiritual warfare and the closer you get to God the closer you attain that "peace that surpasses all understanding" that Paul talked about.
It's a peace of the soul that can't be compared to physical or mental pleasure or epicurean repose and lack of worry, it's something more lasting and satisfying.
See St. Symeon the New Theologian, St. Isaac the Syrian, St. Chrysostom, St. Iranaeus, St. Basil, etc. Also read "The Imitation of Christ" by Kempis and "The Way of the Pilgrim" by anonymous russian.

Kierkegaard was always a melancholic soul, if you like him try reading his "Concept of Anxiety", and "Purity of Heart is to Will One Thing" and "Practice in Christianity" I found those more uplifting and accessible than his more popular works.

The Trouble With Being Born by Emil Cioran helped me learn to laugh at my own depression.

Not sure if it will work for you, but reading a good book where the main character just suffered most of the time helped me through a dark time, as I understandably didn't have it worse off than said protagonist, which helped me to recognize the scope of my problems and deal with them accordingly.
If you want the same book it was Su Tong's "The Boat to Redemption", though I would imagine most tragedies would work to the same effect

One book i really love and that helped me out of my rut was Donald Miller's "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years"

Helped me live a better life, a better story.
But you need to make a choice, it presents you that choice in clear writing.
Hope this helps. :)

I just read Chekhov's "seagull" today and would suggest it as something calming if not really "therapeutic."

>I’m in mourning for my life.

>I feel as if I were born ages and ages ago; I lug my life around like a dead weight.

>“To Mariya, of no known family and who lives in this world for no apparent reason.”

If you have clinical depression no book is going to cure you. You need medication of some form.

What if I have non-clinical depression?

The Death of Ivan Ilich was a big help along the way, or at the start of the way.

Medication won't help either.

This. It's a hilarious book if approached with a right mindset.

You'll be fine, get lots of exercise, go out more, stop dwelling on how pointless your existence is

What about the slim chance scenario the book unlocks the tangled subconscious that is responsible for chronic debilitating depressions?

I got totally fucked up by depression for about 5 years. The only books I could read due to my exhaustion and poor concentration were YA shit like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, and oddly enough those helped me massively. There's something therapeutic about reading a silly comfy kids' book.

After I recovered I immediately lost all interest in YA shit and now I only read the classics.

This You have to constantly force yourself to do shit. I know how tempting it is to lock yourself in with your piss bottles and go "reee fucking normie chads!!!111" but you have to do everything in your power to avoid that.

but why avoid it?
What's the point.

No book will cure your depression. Forget about it. The only thing that will have any effect on depression is therapy and it will be a long journey, nothing as simple as reading a book and feeling better. The use of antidepressants might be needed if the depression is severe.

Having said that, you're not depressed. If you were, you wouldn't ask such thing, and likely you wouldn't even know it.

Non-clinical depression = feeling sad. It happens to everyone. You just need to get used to it, because that's life.

No. The Sickness Unto Death is a good introduction to existentialism, but it offers no viable solution. Read Thus Spake Zarathustra instead.

You like feeling depressed? Sure, don't avoid it.

>have depression
>no energy to exercise, go outside, or pursue hobbies
>people tell you to exercise, go outside, and pursue hobbies to get over your depression

The whole point is to force yourself little by little. And use meds/therapy to give yourself the energy.

Therapy has a high chance of being unsuccessful and, after all, is all about the connection you form with the therapist. I've seen 9 different ones and only one felt like I could open up to.
A book where you can feel resonance with the author can have very soothing effect. Like a group therapy where you meet other poor fuckers.
Even better, it can - rarely- offer solutions.
A book isn't a living person, but it can offer a connection, guidance to introspection, and life lessons that are more real than real life

How could not being depressed make you happy? What good is there that I apparently don't know of?

>When you feel lost and you have to make a choice, no matter which path you decide to take, you will definitely regret it later. Therefore, choose something that makes you happiest right now

No, but this can