Uncommon recommendations

Post a book you've read but never see it mentioned on Veeky Forums.

Picture related is a surprisingly comfy read. If you've read Gogol and are interested in how Nabokov appreciates books but don't want to go through his long lecture series, by all mean try this one.

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/209
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Can I post? There is one book I've read that is very dear to me, but usually I don't see it discussed. I think it has reasons, good reasons even, but I wish we would someday discuss it. But like I said it has good reasons. I think the writing is good, or good enough, and the story is relatable. It might not be the best book but certainly worth a read. This book's name? My diary desu.

people talk shit about how weird Nabokov's opinions are on other writers but at least he's honest
watching writers nod to Joyce and Hemingway and Fitzgerald is like listening to celebrities praise The Beatles

Grendel by John Gardner is an absolute must-buy if you're a fan of Gass. Its a short existential work written from the perspective of the monster. Its really not worth spoiling beyond that. if you love musical and original prose in the vein of Nabokov, Joyce, Gass, or Beckett I totally recommend it

The Jew's Beech by Annette von Droste-Hülshoff

Still one of my favorite novellas. The description of village life and the different personalities is outstanding. Set in a small villiage in Westphalia in 18th century Holy Roman Empire it is a milieu study, murder mystery also dealing with social and class questions at that time.

This dumpster fire.

Die Judenbuche is fantastic. It really does paint a good picture of the social life in the German countryside.

I have some of Gardner’s books on writing but have never actually read Grendel.

NOG Rudolph Wurlitzer
Sheppard Lee, Written by Himself

Grendel is nothing like his other books desu
october light, mickelsson's ghosts, and the sunlight dialogues are all pretty good but Grendel is fantastic

This beaut.

It's kinda like a Polish War & Peace, though with a more narrow focus and probably all the better for it. Really love it.

Leon Bloy has some dark, cynical, yet very humorous stories.

im pretty sure im friends with you on goodreads. Stop reccing your book to me.

Post epubs plz

I guess you need a military background to fully appreciate it, but this shit hit me hard.

Is it necessary to be familiar with Beowulf before reading this?

I like this guy a lot, but I've found his novels to be annoyingly similar to one another. Jitterbug Perfume is the best imo.

You’re not wrong

Here’s another

You don't have to read Beowulf, you just need to know the story

It's a shame Gardner's other novels are overlooked. A lot of people on Veeky Forums would love Nickel Mountain.

When I looked at the title I thought it was going to be a memoir. Turns out it went into All Quiet territory set in Stalingrad. The author himself was at Stalingrad.

bonus points if public domain

gutenberg.org/ebooks/209

Rat Man of Paris, by Paul West
Andreas by Hugo von Hofmannsthal
anything by Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

JVD pls go

Also:
To the Islands by Randolph Stow
Imperium by Ryzard Kapuscinski
The Islandman by Tomas O'Crohan

Life and Fate
Some sections are absolutly sublime but it really doesnt sustain itself over 800 pages. Would recommend for anyone looking for an larger novel set in wwii though.

>O'Crohan
Charles McGlinchey's Last of the Name is another fine read too.