Goodreads Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/review/list/407427-andrew?shelf=read
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

holy fuck

Don't look at reviews for novels you enjoy.

not literally opera, but a soap opera for people who think themselves to be above soap operas is what TBK is

Give me 1 (one) reason why I should care about the "opinions" of those who for all i know could just be chinese bots that simulate discussion?

I thought the same thing when I realized how many negative reviews were just women who didn't understand the content. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

I hate the shelves these retards have, their recommendation page must be an ugly fucking mess.

This is a thread to laugh at them user.

>muh vagina

are women capable of holding an opinion that doesn't relate to their cunt?

Why would the chinks bother

So can these people not enjoy anything published before 2015?

how can lvoecraft be a massagonist and a anti-semite when he married a jewish women? Checkmeat, alex

Understandble
Wrong but understandable

Anti-semites and jewesses make great couples

no, cause thats all that makes them useful

but she left when he went into /pol/ overdrive

serious answer: he was an oldschool "cultural" anti-semite that believed jews needed to be assimilated and that by marrying her he was uplifting her beyond jewishness. she didn't really appreciate this and dumped him after a month.

>slut-shaming
lol

I once destroyed a table because of the Heart of Darkness and Moby Dick reviews. Maddening, sickening and enraging.
>Teaching a woman to read and write? What a terrible thing to do! Like feeding a vile snake more poison.

This one isn’t that bad but that one name tickled me.

>shakespeare
>palahniuk

I would be very impressed if anyone managed to guess the novel. The line is quite famous, but not for the horrifically, violently racist part.

ITT: women are vapid retards and incomplete human beings.

>Chuck Pahlaniuk
>best writers in history

harry potter?

I'm gonna say Heart of Darkness?

kant was a manlet

which language is the original in?

>shag by a woman with enormous tracts of land
Is land ownership some sort of peculiar British fetish?

No
English. Several of the author’s novels have appeared on Veeky Forums Top 100s though not this particular one.

B..EOTC

I wanna say Huck Finn maybe?

Why are it always women who write the most closed-minded cringe-inducing "reviews"?

They're all feeble narcissists who can't see past their tits.

Nope. 20th Century.

Pynchon

Earlier

Faulkner?

stop it

faulkner?

Closer, but not American.

;^)

Joyce?

Getting there, east a bit.

Conrad?

Woolf?

Yes, congratulations. It was Orlando.

>He — for there could be no doubt of his sex, though the fashion of the time did something to disguise it — was in the act of slicing at the head of a Moor which swung from the rafters.

Andrew BTFO's #Dostoshitski

What about this terrible editor adding endings Lovecraft's stories?

forg

tf.... was just about to buy it but wont support a racist white bitch

Holy... I want more Andrew.

goodreads.com/review/list/407427-andrew?shelf=read

He reads a ton of pulp sci-fi, all of which he loves, C&P seems to be the odd 1-star-rating out. Hmm.

idk, but it's good to see Kant triggers primmies

>le-sigh

Why is God always in the sky for these people?

Dostoievski is the one author to which the pleb "people don't like it, they have Stockholm syndrome" applies.
His books are the most melodramatic, verbose, cheap apollogetic shit to ever grace the west.

>t. underage embryo

perfectly

calm

she still sucked his uncircumcised goy cock and loved it

I completely agree with him

This is actually a well-written and coherent criticism, especially considering this guy mainly reads sci-fi.

>tfw no dadaist gf

This is true, it's philosophy for people too lazy to read actual philosophy. In principle no better than Sartre or Camus.

he went into /pol/ overdrive BECAUSE she left

all women are dadaists

These people stopped attending church around the age of 13. They've never read any serious theology. They have a child's understanding of Christianity.

These people have never read any serious philosophy. They're incapable of considering anything that is not material. I've heard their demagogues accuse Plato of basically setting the stage for the destruction of Western civilization (lol) because of his theory of forms.

These people are only familiar with the apologetic methodology that is based on looking at creatures and then reasoning up to God. And this they only get from snippets of youtube videos where a skeptical science enthusiast deconstructs a William Lane Craig talk.

I'm the guy you (you)'d. I once tried to tell a tutorial teacher who introduced us to Platonic Heaven that I thought abstractions or maths was a representational vehicle for God or Logos. He just thought I was crazy.

I'm not a very religious person, actually an agnostic. So, I think I got the idea from Lennox tbqh

What the fuck Raimi?????

Life is too short to read Ulysses.

What is a mature understanding of Christianity?

I've read it twice brainlet

Literally what?
Clearly there were some pages missing in my copy of Walden because I missed the part where he said his way of life was only the correct one.

>Man with shit taste in books gives incredible book a bad review
Weird

as a bloke with an english degree, i guess i'm supposed to extol all thing joycian and gladly turn myself self over to the church of joye. after all, that's what english grads do, right? we revel in our snobbery and gloat about having read 'gravity's rainbow' and 'ulysses' start to finish.

well, i may be in the minority when i say i didn't care for this book at all. i get that it's a complex book with innumerable references to greek mythology, heavy allegories, dense poetry wacky structures, and to some serves as a sort of mental masturbation. however, i think it's also pretty unreadable. maybe i'm old-fashioned, but i think books should be accessible and readable. it's something john steinbeck understood all too well. he most definitely wrote for the masses and the 'every man,' and it shows in his work. i prefer books that use simple language to expound on profound truths, not necessarily a book that requires me to constanty refer to other sources to help me understand what i've just read. this, of course, is just my opinion and should be taken as nothing more.

i'm hesitant to say that anyone who gives this book 'five stars' does so because 'ulysses' carries such a cachet amongt the academic elite and intelligentsia, but i think most of them probably do. sure, that's unfair, but i'm really kind of wondering how anyone ever finished it. it's a bit of bore, linguistical acrobatics or not.

if you do decide to read it, definitely get a copy with judge john m. woolsey's treatise on lifting the ban on 'ulysses.' it's a remarkable piece of writing and display's the judges thoughtfulness, eloquence, and fair-mindedness. it's the standard by which all judicial opinions should be judged [no pun intended!].

maybe you'll read 'ulysses,' maybe you won't. if you do and you don't care for it, that's ok. being a great reader doesn't mean you two the critical line.

>white priv
She absolutely said nothing about that. Why make it about that? It's no where near as bad as the other reviews, you're just a Thoreau fanboy.

Amanda plz.
Only feminist thotts cut their bangs like that.
>Thoreau fanboy
it's literally the only Thoreau I've ever read.

>Bangs = Feminazi!
Goodbye, pleb. Your comments are better suited to the section - filled with illiterates - below a sensationalist YouTube video BTFOing university students.

Ulysses is pretty readable just as a funny and touching story about people in Dublin, I have never read The Odyssey or The Bible

Reading the 1-star reviews of the Commedia actually makes me feel good. It convinces me more and more that this poem is totally pleb-proof.

Toastie

You're saying with many words that you just find it pretentious. Which is by now not only hollow but also terribly cliché criticism.

His verbosity and linguistic playfulness are partly self-serving yes ( which I personally don't see as a negative tbqh; all art is) but mostly aims at creating a profound impression of the characters' psyche; so in that regard it isn't masturbatory/pretentious at all, since what is more "human" than trying to immaculately express the full experience of existing?

My greatest fear is someone posting one of my reviews, desu.

At least Camus can help you overcome teenage existential crisis. Dostoievski will only leave you a perpetually scared neurotic wreck.

Post plebby 5* reviews of patrician books.

>it's not pretentious, it's just like 2deep4u, my dude
Ulysses is the Ready Player One of "literary nerd" culture.

Wrong. I became a nihilist bc of Camus in high school and decided to fuck all my friends' girlfriends. He was really no different tbqh.

The dogs don't talk enough to achieve infactuation.

"fuck pussy" nihilism is good when compared to "fuck life" nihilism

This woman probably thinks she is witty and intelligent to. I wonder if she had to read Kant for her class. I wonder what her teachers thought of her. I wonder if these are the people I'll meet if I ever fall for the humanities meme

>Likes Dostoe
>Mocks Christianity
Women

> a literal edgy teen
> "to"
> thinks that kant is somewhat hot shit
fuck off

She's annoyed the prose is to hard for her and feels slighted by the author because she is the exact person he mocks

He didn't fucking mock anybody in the book. He merely reflected upon the things that felt like they were being lost as society transitioned into the modern age. He even spoke well of some of the changes at some point.
He hung out with a bunch of ice miners who went and skimmed the surface of Walden Pond during the winter with no bad blood between them

She clearly read a different fucking book or something.