What is the true message/meaning of the bible?

what is the true message/meaning of the bible?

gas the jews
fuck the roasties
stone the faggots

To pave the way for our blessed prophet Joseph Smith

what?

How to properly conduct yourself in private and in society so both the human and the society don't degenerate and die.

a giant red flag that even their church acknowledged would turn everyone away from their religion. which it did.

1) Jesus is the Messiah. 2) Christ is risen. 3) We can be saved as a result.

So the entire old testament is fluff?

Is that true? Would most people disagree with this? Is that what religion is in general?

In the grand scheme of things, it helps with context, and it's sort of like a history lesson, if you read it as a believer.

The same message that the Apostles, Church Fathers, and Church have always taught for 2,000 years.

Which is?

No.
This is not correct.

The question you should be asking is what is the message of Christianity. The Bible is a document of Christianity and its meaning is found in its religious context.

Read in chronological order it feels like a literal chronicle of the Jewish people's history, where every significant event is given a prophet's prediction and a few verses.
Aside from that, who is to say? There are certainly excellent life lessons one can learn from it, but I don't know why I keep bringing that up because people would rather complain about the Catholic Church than impartially pull significance from texts

The Bible, in its primary function of slave training, all boils down to one word: "Obey."

Any claimed message or meaning is by it's nature impossible to claim as claiming it would be claiming to know the mind of god.

Take this for example (but any example would suffice). It's hard to get away with calling yourself a believer or a christian and not believing these basic "truths". And yet because the bible is literally (in the truest sense of the word) open to an infinite amount of interpretations there can be no absolute on the matter.

Any kind of rationalization or explanation in opposition to that fundamental point is circular logic.

This is my thought as well

Except you don't obey when it goes against God's law, so it's not a very good slave manual.

>And yet because the bible is literally (in the truest sense of the word) open to an infinite amount of interpretations there can be no absolute on the matter.
This is an interpretation of the text and is by your own definition not absolute.

>Many people have different opinions therefore no one can be right
Amazing.

True, but I think it makes a somewhat compelling case.

just DON'T b urself

The Bible is a book of Law, its got fuck all to do with religion. Its the Spiritual/Moral/Natural Law that humans are supposed to live by. All the laws of men stand in opposition to it.

>old testament
know thyself
>new testament
lmao you just have to be a serf of the lord jeebus :DDD

The Bible is a drawn-out but quite dramatic damsel-in-distress fairy tale where the reader (believer) himself is the princess

why do people always meme the nt, I know a lot of it is supposedly meme tier but i like matthew i thought it was pretty good

B.I.B.L.E
Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth

When we talk about the Bible, as a single work, this is the true meaning and message that it was intended to communicate:

>1) Jesus is the Messiah. 2) Christ is risen. 3) We can be saved as a result.

The Christian men who compiled the Bible chose the books which they believed to be Divinely Inspired. These men believed that the purpose of all Scripture was to point to Christ and our salvation through Him.

If you individually consider the books they chose, you can argue about what the original authors intended. The problem with this thread is that people are conflating those two discussions.

Do to others what you want them to do to you.

That's it.

That's not even what Jesus said in the Gospel. He said do to others what THEY want you to do to them, and not to center anything on yourself.

>He said do to others what THEY want you to do to them
I've never seen anyone translate it in that way

KJV

>Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

ESV

>“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

D-R

>All things therefore whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them. For this is the law and the prophets.

The key to understanding the verse is the end: "this is the Law and the Prophets." If your interpretation or application of "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them" is not in accordance with the Law and the Prophets, your interpretation is wrong.

After I read the full gospel though I got the impression that he was DEFINITELY saying "do to others what you would have them do to you [if you were them]" that's honestly exactly what I think it means, I don't even think this is arguable. Read the full Matthew to understand it better.

Because Jesus is summarizing all of his prior lessons with that line, it would be safe to read the lines that came before it too, right?

Follow Christ, take up the cross.
One can measure one's doing well, one's doing what's right in life, by the amount of suffering one experiences as a result. In other words if youre truly a good person, youre going to be hated- that's your burden, that's your cross. Few are equal to this. Yet through God (through faith) all things are possible.
This theme of course begins simply with Cain and Abel, then grows monstrously complex beginning with Jacob.

John 3:16

If so, this necessitates no church.

The Bible was written by a lot of different authors with a lot of different messages. Trying to confine them all to a single message or even worldview is revisionism.

Abel wasn't killed because he was a good person, he was killed because God liked his sacrifice and Cain wad jealous. The OT in general supports the idea that being good will bring blessings and being bad will bring punishment on Earth. If you're not BTFOing your enemies despite your best efforts, by OT logic it must be because you've lost God's favor.

Yeah well check communism

This is a good description of a lot of Old Testament law, but Jesus wasn't that concerned about society, he wad preparing people for the apocalypse.

>this is what atheists actually believe

Emphasize 'one's doing well,' then- performing an action in the right spirit. Why do you suppose Abel's sacrifice was preferred, or that David was ultimately preferred over Saul? Perhaps 'good and evil' are too simple, too black and white as shadings when applied to the spirit of actions. 'The last temptation is the greatest treason, to do the right thing for the wrong reason.' All one knows is that God isn't there to be had, and that life's a trial so long as He judges. It's as if [we] learn instinctively that He is right, or [we] don't.
The fact of the matter is that Abel, like Christ, does well and is murdered for it. Attempt the like in your life and see what happens.

God is love and your head, no fixing you'll get somewhere