Bechdel test

So Veeky Forums, does your book pass the Bechdel test?

Rules:
1.The book has to have at least two women in it,
2.who talk to each other,
3.about something besides a man.

Yes but I wrote it and it only fits under a very specific definition of "woman"

Female characters from My Little Pony?

Bechdel test is a lousy benchmark for quality in literary excellence.

Like We Have Always Lived in Castle?

>having female characters

>having characters

>having

imagine having no other issue with a piece of literature than that girls don't talk about enough unimportant shit that they can't subsatntiate
women are allways spewing unfalsifiable nonsense.

>The only application for criticism is to determine if something is great or shit
the absolute state of Veeky Forums

there is no such thing as a grey area. you are either on the side of Beyng or the side of Nothyng. I do not have time to waste on books accorded to the principle of Nothyng.

Yup. However, if you have a setting where women are as common as men (as opposed to US army base in Iraq, for instance) but they don't have a life on their own (Bechdel test), maybe that says something about your writing ability.

I don't think the Bechdel test adequately measures what it's supposed to be useful for measuring. A two hour movie with an all-male cast except for a five minute scene of two women talking about makeup would pass, whereas a movie about a single woman fighting for survival in the wilderness, or perhaps single-handedly fighting a cartoonish patriarchal army of men, would not.

Yeah, but I think we all understand in what context the test is supposed to be used.
BTW I find it hilarious that Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back passes the test, because it starts with two chicks talking about butts

>Yeah, but I think we all understand in what context the test is supposed to be used.
I don't think you do--it really only applies to movies, the Bechdel test isn't meant to be cross-medium.

Whatever happened to Baby Jane?

I have never written a female character and I never will

>tfw you try to write a female character but your own humility, empathy, and wit can't be overcome so she ends up acting humble, compassionate, and witty like a man

Kek

Yeah, you're right. Officially it's about all works of fiction, but I've only seen it applied to movies and maybe comics. Still, I find it interesting that many books that should pass the test - don't. Mine doesn't at the moment, and I really don't see a reason why.

It fails the test which means it's not pleb trash

I am reading pulp stories from 1906 and there are woman characters that play important roles as well as act like any other person. If writing females was not an issue then, when the phrase "militant-suffragette" was actually thrown around in seriousness, then I am sure we don't have any issues with it nowadays

>tfw my book is about the sacred bond between a white father and his son as they try and cope with facing sickness, death, and the helplessness that comes with the possibility of having to bury your own child

No

Conforming to feminist ideology is inversely correlated with writing ability.

yes it does

Iliad:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Name?

bechdel test is for films

It isn't a good indicator of whether a movie is good either.

Book?

My fucking life does not even pass one half of the Bechdel test. What should I do with that now?

>Mfw the Iliad doesn't pass

naw the test didn't pass the iliad bro

Your life is sexist

>maybe that says something about your writing ability.

No it says something about women i.e. They're boring and not worthy of attention

Yeah, in the opening scene

And what are they talking about?

It's not feminist. The characters can talk about how all women smell and are subhuman and all feminism sucks. It still passes the test

Work stuff

Some women's lives don't even pass the Bechdel test.

Should I purposefully seek out books that fail this test? I feel like the majority of good literature probably does.

Working Titles:

Fagus Grandifolia
The Nature of Beech Leaves
The Winter People

Rewrite it user.

Because it was never intended to be as such?

Stop rewriting The Road faggot

This is discriminatory against my diary desu

Heh. Fagus.

I wonder how strongly having a female protag correlates with passing the Bechdel test, and a lone male with failing. If you're having mostly one on one conversations, most of which include the lone protag, their gender is going to determine if you have MM+MF or FM+FF. Seems like the test is a thinly veiled means of asking for more female protags.

Why would I want to pass the test?

If you ever want to make a good cheese sauce you need to start with a Bechdel

>this test created by a dumb bitch is dumb
Woaw.

Jej

it’s a genus name user!

This isn't meant for books though tbqh

From what I know, in reality young women only talk about
>men and other mutual acquaintances (gossip)
>improving one's looks (fashion, cosmetics etc.)
>pop-culture (primarily TV series)

In all seriousness though it’s nothing like the road. It’s more about a case of serious malpractice and the ensuing fallout of that.

No. It's about a young man thinking about beatiful women and beatiful jugend buildings. There are no dialogue and the main character would propably have difficulty imagining women interacting with anyone else but himself.

The first convinces the second to release an edited version of her sex tape to slander the CEO of a major company via a false(?) sexual assault accusation.

A third conducts an interview with the first about if/why the concept of popularity is unjust.

A fourth fires the second for incompetence.

A fifth makes a rude comment about the presence of a sixth.

Coming soon to Disney DVD.

literally the plot of The Road

Women are a meme.

Women are basically furniture.
I might mention an antique oak wood desk in my story, but I'm not going to base my narrative around it.

They are like all the other 'extras' in the world, passively viewing the world through a lens of helplessness and dependency. They don't act, they react. I get more use out lawn ornaments than I do out of most extras.

You remind me of myself: intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humour.

You ever think that many prostitutes might be geniuses or savants? At the very least, they seem to have have hedonism well worked out.

why do i feel a sudden fit of nausea?
(your irony is not lost on me, good sir. I am no fool. no dullard. I see whats going on here. No fool am i, no sir ree.)

Why women tho?
Why not people?

Women are especially so. They are passive actors. They stand in the background and look pretty.

Whenever a woman has something intelligent to say, she is trampled by her fellows. (Which isn't to say its a frequent occurrence) Men aren't afraid to shout.

I really wish you could just strap tits and vagina to half the male population. They'd get used to it eventually, and they'd make for better conversationalists.

>Implying women aren't passive animals, brainless and big-breasted and beautiful

See, women imagine that if men became women we would awaken to a new perspective. In reality we would be the exact same people we were before, we'd just masturbate more than previously thought possible.

The human race would probably die out to the near total incidence rates of lesbianism. Men aren't going to change just because you turn them into women.

what a life!

What

>tfw bimbo fetish

Women as soft, pleasant, pliable creatures, easily led and directed, is actually a pretty powerful kink.

/thread

women are just a personified resource-seeking algorithm anyway

nothing they do is interesting in any way if they aren't physically there in front of you

I still say its a cultural phenomenon. There is nothing preventing women from developing their intellect, they are simply incentivized not to.

I imagine its their hormonal passivity that prevents them from showing any outwardly expression of intelligence. Women have demonstrated they are capable of introspection, depth and complexity, but rarely do we think of these as positive qualities in a woman.

Still, I don't know that men would be as docile if they were put into the same cultural position as women.

men would rebel, they would scream and stand tall and beat their chest upon the mountain.

Women just shrink and shrivel away, like some poor wilting violet, stillborn in the night.

>stoner
>wife
>mistress
>talk to eachother
nope, not really
>about something besides a man
if you consider the normal question to be outside a man

this test is total bs

>tfw no clinically retarded 10/10 gf

This actually reminds me of something Mary Wollstonecraft wrote about the education of women.

When challenged, a woman submits. I find this behavior loathsome. I would not tolerate it in a man, why would I tolerate it in a woman?

I think its disgusting.
It makes me want to vomit.

>gfw no buxom genius wife to make me feel stupid

Its men who have the most to learn and the most to gain by learning how to submit. When men understand that there are things about the world that they cannot change, when they surrender themselves to the truth, they grow.

Everytime a woman submits she dies a little inside. Eventually its like leading a goat about on a leash.

so hawt

Fragil things need a pedestal.

There are times when I just want to scream at women. "You dumb cretinous cow! You empty headed vermin! Have you not a thought within that vacant coconut shell? Fire back, you Harlot! Grow a spine!"

"If you were a man I would strike you for your cowardice! If you were a man I would lash you until you had some sense of accountability and understood the error of your ways! But you are a women, loved by all, and beholden to no one! I could not lay one finger about that pretty little head of yours without your harpy screams bringing the wrath of a thousand shaved gorillas down upon my head! You deserve the most wicked browbeating of your life, slattern!"

>You are going to woman? Do not forget your whip!
-William James

The word for Islam is "submit".

If a man can learn to submit, then why can't a woman learn how to stand up for herself? Where is her grace when called upon to do her duty? Where are her libertine sensibilities then?

you idiot, woman must also submit

If women wish to layabout and be used as doormats, then i will line my carpet with them. I will wipe my feet on their bellies and sit upon them as if they were couches. I will do little but feed, clean and water them, as if they were houseplants.

If that is all a woman is capable of, then that is all the good she is capable of doing.

Women don't need to be "taught" to submit. That is there Grace.

They know how to submit. They must be taught to fight.

nobody has ever been so wrong before

You can not allow women to dominate the discourse with their shallow thinking or give them the privileged of intellectual lazyness or dishonesty. You can not dismiss them when they deserve a stern talking to as any man would, you can not humor them when they behave like fools, and you can not shout her down when you know she has something of merit to say.

This is the bed men have made for ourselves, taking an already docile creature and making it utterly helpless and dependant on us, then wondering, "Why can I not find a woman whom I can respect?"

Fine. Enjoy your doormat. Myself, I'd prefer a fine persian rug over that broken thing you call a 'woman'.

you can't fuck a rug or show it off outside of your floor
I fuck my woman and then all my friends tell me I'm lucky
it's great
she has a huge ass

What a fine intellectual speciment you are. Tell me young man, wherehaps be your scar from your surgery to remove your forebrain?

I hear they are in vogue these days and all the rage in Paris.

Shut the fuck up

grand fagus.