Magic Mountain

What am I in for, Veeky Forums?

Not much tbf.

It really depends on whether you engage with the characters. I got a great deal of insight from Settembrini and Naphta and all the other characters but other people can find it incredibly boring and stuffy.

Try to enjoy the slower pace and immerse yourself in the setting, and don't expect lots of action or suspense right away.

a really comfy book. try to read it in the month of december it will be ultra-comf.

its pretty good
the problem is that there's not much plot, just a setting in which eccentric characters are forced to interact (rip based Naphta)
Joseph and His Brothers & Doctor Faustus are both better

Don't listen to these fags. It's the ultimate novel.

It reads like a third-rate Musil to me, but ok.

I've read Musil too and I think you're being a tad try hard right now.

t b h The Man Without Qualities easily stands up to The Magic Mountain but falls flat and can't compare to Mann's other works like Buddenbrooks and Joseph and Venice. Not that Musil can't write varied Veeky Forums but they aren't exactly in the same category of renown. Though the real patrician author here is Thomas Mann's son

Did pre war Europeans really had this deep conversations?

Take your time. Don't rush it. The novel is more about setting and characters than plot, which, if you put in the effort will always pay off. It's the kind of book you read because it's comforting but then he hits you with some of the most intellectual pinches you'll ever read. I've read it twice. I've read TheBros Karamazov, as well as War and Peace and other classics twice. Zauberberg might be the most intellectual, but you have to work for it. Mann says it has to be read twice. But even once it's a grear enjoyment. Peeperkorn is the best.

I doubt it, by that time many where peasents that didn't know how to read.

yes, suck it americunts, enjoy ur autistic whale hunting or camping with a negro

Venice is fluff compared to Musil at his best. Mann’s too mannered for me, too rigid, whereas Musil is pretty much clowning the whole time, still offering richer, more varied reflexions.

Has anyone read his non-fiction?

Klaus?

>Klaus
Wait, Klaus Mann is Thomas Mann's son? As in the guy who wrote Mephisto?

Yeah

Every time I try to read it I get a good night's sleep, so I give it a thumbs up.

Yo the comfiest November book

How could you bring a novel like that to a place like this!

probably something dull. it likely will only be rewarding upon retrospective pleasure editing.

Thank you all for your input! So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it.