Question about Slaughterhouse V

I've heard a lot of people say that this book changed their lives or completely transformed their outlook on life. Did any of you have this experience or do you know anyone who did? What is it about this book that makes people feel that way? I read it, enjoyed it and thought it was quite funny but I didn't really find it to be all that profound or life altering. Maybe I'm missing something.

>4444
Mirin' them quad quads OP.

It was an okay book, not my favorite of his. I think the horrific destruction of Dresden by allied forces might have blown some suburban kid's minds. The shock of finding out USA is not #1 is kind of like finding out Santa isn't real.

Kurt Vonnegut was a formative author in my reading career. The exact content or plot of his books may not have influenced me as much as his style and subjects have, but he was nonetheless influential to me for being so seminal. I imagine this is similar to what a lot of people experience with him. But then again, to some, and I don't think this is exactly worth mocking, something as simple as 'so it goes' can be pretty life affirming.

To add, I am more precious of Car's Cradle than anything else of his. Vonnegut is an incredibly empathetic writer, and his books are full of sardonic sympathy. His writing is bleak enough to resonate with any cynic, but so humanistic that it's difficult to not feel a flitter of something good amongst the fatalistic, sad world of his books and carrying it out into the similar parts of real life which make being a cynic so damn natural sometimes.

Kurt Vonnegut was a significant soul, in my world.

i could see how the idea of life as a mountain range instead of linear time could be very transformative to people. personally I don't like that view because I think it understates personal ability in the present to influence the future, but i could see how someone would like it

It affects you in a way only juvenilia can. It isn't very good

t. Autiste

Because they're redditors who don't know better literature. If you only consume shit, the moment you find something that's slightly better than shit you'll claim that it changed your life.

Interesting take. Thanks for sharing user.

it's a bad book and people who worship it are dumb
nice four fours

My favourite books are those that help me see things in a new way. For basically all of my favourites, there are one or two moments from each that has stuck with me forever after reading them and has elucidated things for me.

This book has one of those moments. Its when he talks about how writing an anti-war book is like writing an anti-glacier book.

I consider that a very profound insight. Someone might say that's obvious and trite, but if it were, then we wouldn't have so many goddamn useless anti-war books and they wouldn't be winning awards for saying "war is bad" for the millionth time.

I don't care if this book is written at a third-grade reading level - it has deeper insights than a lot of "better-written" works.

SV5 really didnt do too much for me at first, but for some reason that big drawn quote hit me super hard. Made the wholw thing worthwhile.

Artist*

I think I found it life altering because I read it when I was 14 or 15. I still enjoy Vonnegut because he's very efficient and darkly funny.

How did it change your outlook on life?

Slaughterhouse 5 is a great book, but its expressive power is on a noticable rung lower than most of the classics. S5's best use, sadly, is as a litmus test for people who fancy themselves as hip intellectuals but would never even read Capote let alone Chaucer.

Don't they teach Capote in high school?

>SV5

Couldn't have put it any better myself. I read Cat's Cradle at the right time in my life to get me back into reading and it's still my favorite of his (Slapstick is a close second). There is something inspirational in his work that is hard to articulate. Makes me want to write.

It's a fine book to start reading more serious literature. As a starting point it's fine but it is pretty basic once you read other stuff.

kids get horrified by the destruction of Dresden and don't realize that this was the fate of every other German city

nice quads bro

checked
One of my most disappointing reading experiences was reading Kurt Vonneguts Mother Night. I won't read another thing by him desu. I think people who find his stuff life changing probably browse redditt too much

>I read it, enjoyed it
fuck off pleb

Funny you should mention this turd. Just finished it today.

are you guys meming or did you honestly not like it? Why do you hate it so much?

The rick an morty of literature

because.....?