Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!5tEynIwS!eczruN_N6475KqKw0AYLd9wpWtIVdJ-Ae3VJwhus6Gc
brandonsanderson.com/books/where-do-i-start/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think oathbringer just dropped on mobilism.

Where the HECK is Oathbringer

rec me some light novels. no haremshit.

Do you know sci-fi book where the Planet Earth (location or history) is forgotten? I know only the entire Foundation saga.
Also, do you know post-apocalyptic books where the history of the mankind is lost or modified?
Thank you

>Also, do you know post-apocalyptic books where the history of the mankind is lost or modified?
A canticle for Leibowitz kind of I guess but not really. It's good though, you should read it if you havent already

why don't you read some actually good books while you wait, pham?

>Also, do you know post-apocalyptic books where the history of the mankind is lost or modified?

Try with the BBC

Q1
Embassytown
Q2
Terminal World, it deals more with the questions you axed.

I'm relistening to Wheel of Time, just excited for some new stuff

gib Mega link

respond fuckers.

In Joel Shepherd's Spiral War series the destruction of Earth is a notable part in the setting background but is not directly related to the plot.

In David Drake's RCN series Earth was functionally destroyed with asteroid strikes, along with most of the early colonies. The planet is now unrecognizable and part of the third book involves a search for a giant diamond that was hollowed out and had a map of the original continents engraved on the inside of it.

boku no pico

Why doesn't Veeky Forums like asoiaf?

You know, besides the fact that it's popular.

sunset

>Why doesn't Veeky Forums like asoiaf?
Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichean duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, craven, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other. Whereas with Martin we have "Sunset found her squatting in the grass etc." to Tolkien we have “Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all etc." and “Roads Go Ever On etc.", I wonder if future scholars will study the contrast and literary relationship between the two authors.

>besides the fact that it's popular.
That's more or less it though

People dislike things. AsoIaF being popular just means that there's point to saying why you dislike it, where-as everyone who dislikes The Gentleman Bastard or the Stormlight Archives doesn't ever have to deal with a fanbase loud enough to argue over it.

because it's not finished REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUCKING WRITE THE BOOKS GRRM STOP EATING AND DOING WILDCARDS AND SHIT

its honestly not that good.
its maybe above average at best. add to that the hordes of idiots that herald it as the second coming of jesus christ because they started reading it because of the show. it adds up honestly."because its popular" has some validity to it though. as other authors will look at it and think thats the way to go for the future.
martin got lucky with a semi decent book series. which is getting progressively worse but still gets lauded as above criticism due to the hordes of normies comming to its defense because the show is part of pop culture now.

There is any otther fantasy series even nearly as good as wheel of time?
Jordan is truly a wizard, managed to create a world that surpasses even tolkien.

So, follow up question, when Sanderson's work inevitably gets adapted to a screen and literally hundreds of millions of dollars get thrown at it and normies latch onto it and flood to the genre, will you all turn on him too?

Which of you will pen the copypasta that will compare him as the yang to Tolkein's ying once he becomes bigger than us?

They will. The cycle of contrarianism cannot be broken.

I like it well enough but I want him to fucking finish the goddamn series so I can stop hedging all my criticism in terms of "well this hasn't been resolved yet so I can't comment on it".

You know they will. Althought Sanderson already has lots of detractors ITT you can bet he'll have even more once he reaches mainstream.

No one will "turn on" Sanderson just like no one turned on Martin. Veeky Forums contrarian disease is misattribution by idiots who think Veeky Forums is a hive mind.

What happens is that most people who dislike him right now don't bring it up, because he's only mentioned a handful of times in a thread. Maybe like, five times in this one when his most anticipated book ever comes out in less than a day. Those same people will start to bitch about him loudly once other people starts talking about him after a film adaptation.

It's really obvious when you pay attention but you'd rather just meme.

mega.nz/#!5tEynIwS!eczruN_N6475KqKw0AYLd9wpWtIVdJ-Ae3VJwhus6Gc

What can I say except, you're welcome

>Veeky Forums contrarian disease is misattribution by idiots who think Veeky Forums is a hive mind
Okay, not a hivemind, got it.
>Those same people will start to bitch about him loudly once other people starts talking about him
Oh, you mean like a hivemind. Got it.

Fine, you got me. "Some of those same people".

The point is that I doubt many of us actually read The Name of the Wind, loved it, then started bitching about it later when it got in the hands of a wider audience. But I'm sure a lot of us read it right after it came out, hated it, then just tried not to think about it until there were people saying it was the greatest fantasy novel ever, then felt obligated to correct them.

Oh shit, cheers senpai

I've seen Tolkien described as a reactionary (such as in pic related). Can somebody explain this?

I just feel like too often Veeky Forums (Veeky Forums is not the only board susceptible to this) hates a "good" work just because a great deal of other people (normies) find it "great".

I don't feel like that's fair to the work nor do I feel like it's fair to the people who are fine with enjoying "good" work. I find that the attention span and memory of normies is far shorter than fans of the genre. We will hate something for years because it was overrated for a month. To say asoiaf is outright bad is as silly as saying it's genre defining like Tolkein, and to systematically remove mention of the series from generals and recommendation lists and throw pastas at any mention of his name just because it's popular is even sillier. To me anyway.

>tfw Rowling stole the wizard school and magic wand concepts forever
hahahahahahaha

hold me

Book of the New Sun
>I have no way of knowing how old those tunnels are. I suspect, though I can hardly say why, that they antedate the Citadel above them, ancient though it is. It comes to us from the very end of the age when the urge to flight, the outward urge that sought new suns not ours, remained, though the means to achieve that flight were sinking like dying fires. Remote as that time is, from which hardly one name is recalled, we still remember it. Before it there must have been another time, a time of burrowing, of the creation of dark galleries, that is now utterly forgotten.

Guys, how do you rate these books by Drew Karpyshyn?

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan (2011)
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation (2012)

Are they better or worse than the Darth Bane books (which I liked)?

Tolkein is a traditionalist Catholic who didn't think modernity and industrialism were good things. That's enough nowadays.

>even tolkien
it's not THAT big of a world

Does the Lord of the Rings reflect these beliefs?

>muh elfs can only love one person forever
>muh no one really dies

>new chapter of ward tonight
who hype

>and to systematically remove mention of the series from generals and recommendation lists and throw pastas at any mention of his name just because it's popular is even sillier.
There's no point in "recommending" something that even normies already know about, you pillar of degeneracy.

much worse.
Revan takes a massive shit on both kotor games.1

Thanks for letting me know. Fuck this book then

Recommending something and reminding someone it exists is not one oin the same, you scholar and gentleman.

It was fucking rage inducing.

The catholicism is subtle but the anti-industrialism and anti-modernity stuff is pretty overt.

Shallan is such a slut goddamn

hnnnngh.

sick widdit

Need more r34 desu

All You Need is Kill

Stormlight book 4 when?

How can I stop being lazy and start reading my books? I got a pile of science fiction and fantasy books but I keep doing other things.

I now see why people pol don't like Heinlein. It isn't Stranger in a Strange novel, it isn't all the sex and cucking in his novels, it's pic related. kek

2020 at the soonest
New Mistborn in 2019

what's the GRI percentage in Oathbringer?

The hwhat

Gay Rape Incest.

>ward
???????

Probably nonexistent. Sanderson hasn't fallen to Card's Mormon degeneracy as yet. Give it a few years.

This has been enjoyable pulp fair. Wonderfully free of irony and pretentiousness.

looks intriguing. sell me on it.

Well it's pulp as fuck if the cover is anything to go by. You've got Lovecraftian Old Ones, evil mummies, demon-possessed crime bosses, mad scientists, a secret occult society bent on world domination. Just all the things you want in a good pulp novel.

And like I said it's completely free of irony or pretentiousness. The writer simply loves pulp and wanted to write his own. The good guys are actually heroic and do good deeds because they want to and the villains are wonderfully evil and don't need any bullshit reason for being evil. There are some problems though : the prerequisite gay character and a dainty young girl that can beat up men much larger than her (though it's usually because she surprises them so it's not too intolerable). But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Excessively.

>Shallan gets naked on the street in Oathbringer
>Shallan is present at an orgy in Oathbringer

humans are the bad guys in oathbringers

Wew, I haven't gotten there yet, I just got to her having dinner with Adolin after him seeing her almost undressed

>“Looking at his lips, she could think of some other creative applications for her tongue.…”
LEWD

So progressive.

Which Sanderson series should I read first? Which has the best characters?

brandonsanderson.com/books/where-do-i-start/

I just read this. Combined with syls crazy antics and holy shit Kaladin is gonna have a good time!

wtf I love Shallan now

I knew she was a slut when I first read about her.

Start by reading books from another author and never stop

This plays a very small role in both "Children of Time" and in "A Fire upon the Deep" -- humans came from Earth but that was long ago. Fluff, and not central to story of either.

Worm 2

/r/ecommend me a new book

Things that stick with me:

Sci-Fi:
> Windup Girl
> Diamond Age
> Neuromancer
> Foundation Series
> Snow Crash
> Nine Princes in Amber
> Anathem
> A Fire Upon the Deep

Fantasy:

Tolkein (duh)
> Rhapsody saga (Haydon)
> War of the Dwarves (Heitz)

Probably best to recommend Fantasy?

Great. The only category with a book I read & liked contains a single book.

I don't think I'm going to bother reading oathbringer
This shit looks hella long & none of the characters are likable
Also I've forgotten everything from the first 2 books

>I don't think I'm going to bother reading oathbringer
>This shit looks hella long & none of the characters are likable
>Also I've forgotten everything from the first 2 books
okay

I'll read and enjoy it and there is nothing you can do to stop me ;)

just re-read them

Oh baby

Syl-route.

>besides the fact that it's popular
That's literally the reason. It's praised like the best thing to ever happen humanity, while in reality it's simply a good, possibly great series.

In the same way, I already "turn on" Sanderson when people claim that his quite average writing is the pinnacle of modern fantasy.

Maybe stay with Stephenson and read Cryptonomicon?

The Quantum Thief
The Golden Age
Lord of Light
Hyperion
Accelerando

>can literally fly across the continent, jump between walls and run in the ceiling without getting disoriented
>chose to go by boat and stumble around as the ship move
???

Thank you friend.

Look at the other cates dum dum.

If you aren't low IQ, when you read you usually start to remember things. Sanderson helps by giving small hints that jog you memory. He knows how it is and got you.

Thank you. You are very kind.

Continuing after the released chapters on Tor, this part was a delight to read. 'Safehand' and 'breast' in one sentence? Brandon is getting too lewd. In addition to the sprens discussing sexuality.
Also actual use of the word 'whore', there's even some more in the book.

I would guess about Mormon%

Y'all know if Target will have the book today? Idk if Walmart was the only retailer who is being pushed back till Thursday.

Er, Oathbringer of course.