I just read Dune, and was mildly impressed

I just read Dune, and was mildly impressed.

Would I be justified in reading more books in the franchise? Or is there a rapid drop-off in quality?

Eh. You can stick with the first book and be fulfilled by the story. I read the others and it didn’t seem to add much beyond seeing what happened after happily ever after. Nothing to gain but nothing to really lose at all

When will you faggots realize we have a wiki and you don't need to create a new thread for each and every of your babby questions?

this
I really liked Messiah and it's downhill from there

There's a drop from 1 to 2, then a gradual improvement until God Emperor, then I stopped reading because it was getting to be too much for me. Maybe I should go back and read the last few novels Frank wrote before his son took over the franchise.

God Emperor is my favorite.

If you’re reading the six books as a series, God Emperor is the best of them.
That said, OG Dune is the strongest as a book.

>reading a star wars ripoff

Hey! HEY!
This book was published in 1963!
Star Wars came out in 1977!

2 is significantly better than 1 from a thematic stand point. It doesn't have as much Game of Thrones-like usurping and action scenes, but it's got a much more interesting story to tell.

People say just read the first 4 books if you want to read on. I have not read 4, but 2 > 1 > 3 so far.

Depends on why you were "mildly impressed".

>Watching a Dune ripoff

Nah, if you weren't blown away then the rest of the series won't do much for you.

the dropoff is like book 6, gets pretty weird

Messiah>Dune>God Emperor>CoD>Heretics>Chapterhouse

I think somewhere between God Emperor and Heretics Frank started doing some real heavy drugs because fetish dominatrix Jackie Chan Mongolian Bene Gesserit fighting The Flash while teenage mutant Duncan Idaho fucks some desert cunny is not a direction I expected the series to take.

This pic is sound advice, except that God Emperor is an intrinsically weak entry, as it is structured around the main character being the author's blowhole.

No main character can ever posses good qualities because then it's just a self insert ddderrrrrrrrr

I've read the first three but not God Emperor. I really must find a copy of it somewhere.

>ddderrrrrr
Don't you see how this becomes particularly trouble some when the main character is an omniscient god?

No?
What bothers you precisely?

Yes how dare an author try to express his own views, wtf